airport express

This section is for any issues on setting up or configuring networks at home and small business.

airport express

Postby mrmagic » Sun 27 Feb, 2005 7:48 am

Hi, i have recently been given an ibook and an imac from a friend, and am a complete novice to macs, but seem to be getting the hang of things.
I am a bt broadband customer, using a USB speedtouch modem.
I am interested in buying an airport express - mainly for sending music, but was wondering if i can use my USB modem with it?
be greatful if someone could help me on this, before i make a purchase. many thanks.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.21; Mac_PowerPC)
mrmagic

Re: airport express

Postby Antony » Sun 27 Feb, 2005 8:07 am

Hello mrmagic,

Welcome to SillyDog701 Message Centre.

Firstly, you will need to have an AirPort card or AirPort Extreme card installed in your iBook.

mrmagic wrote:I am interested in buying an airport express - mainly for sending music, but was wondering if i can use my USB modem with it?

You won't be able to use AirPort Express BaseStation with USB modem (for internet connection). You must use ethernet modem if you wish to use your AirPort Express BaseStation for transmitting internet connection.

However, you can still use AirPort Express BaseStation to transmit music from your iTunes (this technology is called AirTunes), and use AirPort Express BaseStation for wireless printing (USB printer). (Note: you will need internal AirPort card or AirPort Extreme card.)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.5.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.12
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Ron Williams » Sun 27 Feb, 2005 1:22 pm

Many times you can take your modem to your internet provider and they will give you one that has a ethernet port.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
Ron Williams
BANNED
BANNED

Postby Antony » Sun 27 Feb, 2005 5:35 pm

The ethernet port version of ADSL/cable modem is more expensive than USB ones.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.5.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.12
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Ron Williams » Sun 27 Feb, 2005 5:48 pm

where i am if i exchange my modem it does not matter what kind it is the rental free each month is 5 dollars.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
Ron Williams
BANNED
BANNED

Postby Subir » Mon 28 Feb, 2005 1:20 pm

Well he said he is using BT Broadband, so he obviously lives in the UK (like me).

Here in the UK there is absoutley no ISP that will give you a free adsl/dsl modem with a Ethernet port. You be luck if you even find an ISP that supports using your own equipment.

Apple UK's supported ISP is Demon. They have many adsl broadband plans, even ones that allow you to buy your own eupiment (ethernet modem). Of course they are Apple compatible.
Previously known as Subir Chadha
NOW with BONUS Crazy Colourful Dog! :D
Subir

Return to Home and Business Networking