AOL to discontinue Netscape web browser

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Postby k27102 » Sun 25 May, 2008 10:36 pm

Hmm...When I looked into Firefox months ago, no one I chatted with mentioned that at all.. Yes, everything will become outdated sooner or later.. Blame Bill Gates for that.. Him and his croonies manage to outdate good stuff just to make more money.

My comment about the picture problem is a lot broader than FF.. They say a picture paints a thousand words.. Deciding which of those 1000 words the picture is is why using pictures may cause a slight hesitation in what a user is doing.. Another bit of time is lost.

As far as hanging onto outdated things, I still write my letters on an XT running DOS 3.2 and Wordstar 1.02.. It's faster than the current word processing software..

Nuff Said, Steve
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
k27102

Postby James » Sun 25 May, 2008 11:01 pm

I don't think you caught what was said regarding the text versus icon issue on the toolbar. You can have just text by going through the options (as was explained in the previous posts) so that should not be a reason for not installing Firefox. And as far as blaming Bill Gates (we all love to dump on Billy Boy, don't we... LOL), that's really not the entire picture. Netscape corporation have a great deal to do with their own downfall. I recommend to you the book Netscape Time by Jim Clark.

Quote: The story of Netscape alone is thrilling enough, but Clark also gives tremendous insight into the real way American business operates nowadays--the speed, the risks, and the hatred for rivals (lots of hatred, mostly for Microsoft and Bill Gates.) Most of the book covers the founding of Netscape Communications, but there's an epilogue, too, discussing the merger of Netscape with America Online, the ongoing battle with Microsoft, and, most important, the impact the Web has had on everyday life. Clark makes a sound argument that Netscape had a lot to do with that. Oh, and did you know it made him rich? --Lou Schuler
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby k27102 » Mon 26 May, 2008 7:41 am

Yes I did get what you said.. I suppose that I should have been more specific.

Billy Boy will always be the scapegoat.

I know that there are many reasons that things are the way they are but almost all come down to the greed for money.. My biggest gripe is that all the software writers just keep taking control away from the PC user, limiting the decisions that the user can make and tacking on additional stuff that the users don't want (like tracking and ads).. Too many times I have seen a good product revised, upgraded to death.. If it isn't broken, don't try and fix it.

One of the reasons that I still love NS-7.2 is the way it makes the webpages easier to read.. The text is clearer and bolder with NS.. I know that there are text controls in IE but they usually only work on the titles, not the body of the page.. In other words - control of how the page appears is taken away from the user.

When I get some time, I'll go back to FF and try it again.

Yawn, later, Steve
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
k27102

Postby James » Mon 26 May, 2008 10:16 am

Cool. :)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Previous

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape