Australian Apple users held to ransom by Find My iPhone hack

Apple products and Mac operating systems. Including discussions on Virtual PC for Mac, Parallels Desktop for Mac, all Apple hardware and everything relating to Apple and Mac!
(MacCentre701)

Australian Apple users held to ransom by Find My iPhone hack

Postby beanboy89 » Tue 27 May, 2014 4:29 pm

Via Engadget:

Some Australian Apple device owners today woke up not to the sound of their alarm, but the jingle of a "ransom" notification instead. The Sydney Morning Herald reports that a hacker (or a group of hackers) going by the name "Oleg Pliss" systematically froze iPhone, iPad and Mac users out of their own devices, holding them hostage until payments of between $50 and $100 were received. Threads on Apple's official support forums detail how the attacker (or attackers) used Apple's own Find My iPhone feature to remotely lock devices and send messages requiring payment via PayPal. Fortunately, those who had set passcodes were able to regain access, because you can't add or change a lock on a device that already has one in place, but those without the security measure weren't so lucky.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/27/appl ... hone-hack/

Any of our Australian iPhone, iPad, or Mac users here fall victim?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0
beanboy89
diamond member
diamond member

Re: Australian Apple users held to ransom by Find My iPhone

Postby Antony » Wed 28 May, 2014 12:05 am

It's not looking good. This reminds me of Mat Honan's story when his password (and his digital life) was hacked just a few years back.

Just read the news last night. Lucky mine is not hacked.

The Sydney Morning Herald has more report into this case.
A PayPal spokesman said there was no PayPal account linked to the email address the hacker used.

The spokesman added that any money that may have been sent by victims would be refunded.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.19
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Return to Mac OS and Apple