Back to SeaMonkey from Chrome

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Back to SeaMonkey from Chrome

Postby richard mitnick » Fri 10 Feb, 2012 5:27 pm

Full disclosure.

I have gone back to SeaMonkey from Chrome for my browser for the ScienceSprings blog (MusicSprings remains in Firefox).

Chrome began to irritate in a number of areas: I am constantly adding new bookmarks for research sites. Sorting the folder is too many steps in Chrome, go to the wrench, click on bookmarks, click on Bookmarks Manager, click on the folder, and then sort. How many steps? On SeaMonkey, just right click on the folder and sorting is in the context menu.

My biggest source for news is Google Reader for RSS. I have about six separate readers for news, computing, Classical music, Jazz, Basic Science, NASA. In order to see a user id, I need in Chrome to type in the first letter. In SeaMonkey, just click in the dialogue box and they all pop up.

There is no speed benefit in Chrome to offset these little peeves. So, back I went.

It was a snap to update my bookmarks with an export from Chrome and an import to SeaMonkey.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:10.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0
richard mitnick
diamond member
diamond member

Re: Back to SeaMonkey from Chrome

Postby Antony » Sat 11 Feb, 2012 1:48 pm

Somehow, I start to like Chrome.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby richard mitnick » Sat 11 Feb, 2012 3:09 pm

Antony-

Sure. I am not saying that Chrome is a bad browser. It is attracting a lot of adherents. It is just that for my blog work I need the most efficient two browsers, and they are FF and SM.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:10.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.1
richard mitnick
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Sat 11 Feb, 2012 5:04 pm

I can appreciate what you are saying, Richard. If SM works best for your blogs... the by all means.

Chrome is now the recommended browser for Linux users according to an article I read this morning. I sincerely believe that Chrome is the browser that will soon dominate the web.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:10.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby ncd » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 12:47 am

James wrote:I can appreciate what you are saying, Richard. If SM works best for your blogs... the by all means.

Chrome is now the recommended browser for Linux users according to an article I read this morning. I sincerely believe that Chrome is the browser that will soon dominate the web.

James,

Chrome is a fine browser that will never find a place on my laptop. Just as I have closed everything Google (blogger, docs, plus, calendar, etc.... everything except email and I am actively looking for a substitute) that I can, particularly the history record, Chrome because of its lack of privacy is a No-No.

I do have Iron, the better Chrome IMO and it will continue to have a place with me, but FWIW, SeaMonkey is just a better choice if you like the ability to be secure and have a multi-purpose Suite.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:10.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.1
ncd

Postby DJGM » Fri 24 Feb, 2012 10:39 pm

James wrote: I sincerely believe that Chrome is the browser that will soon dominate the web.

TBH ... I would much prefer if no specific browser were to dominate the web. Otherwise we could end up in a
situation similar to when IE had near blanket coverage. At least most browsers nowadays comply to proper
recommended standards, and reliance on proprietary junk added to HTML is all but gone.

But if one specific browser were to become as widely used as IE was, especially if it's made by a company
as big and powerful as Google, it would be only a matter of time before we start to see an all new batch of
non-standard stuff creeping back in, and eventually, we're right back to square one.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20120216 Firefox/10.0.2 SeaMonkey/2.7.2 Lightning/1.2.1
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape