Brendan Eich is Mozilla's new (anti-gay) CEO

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Brendan Eich is Mozilla's new (anti-gay) CEO

Postby Antony » Tue 01 Apr, 2014 8:15 pm

Mozilla announced on 24 March that Brendan Eich (then Chief Technology Officer) took the new role as Mozilla CEO. Mitchell Baker will remain Mozilla Executive Chairwoman.

What draws attention is Brendan Eich's political support - Eich donated to the anti-marriage equality Prop. 8 campaign in California. In plain words: anti-gay supporter.

Mozilla’s head of education, Christie Koehler, who is gay wrote on her blog: “Like a lot of people, I was disappointed when I found out that Brendan had donated to the anti-marriage equality Prop. 8 campaign in California. It’s hard for me to think of a scenario where someone could donate to that campaign without feeling that queer folks are less deserving of basic rights.”

To be fair, Mozilla has nothing to do with equal rights issue. However, due to its unique company or organisation which "promote openness, innovation and opportunity on the Web" (Mozilla's mission), many Mozillians are themselves associated with and advocate for human rights, animal rights, marriage equality, racial equality, etc... (yes, you get the picture). There are reports of Mozilla employees telling Eich to step down (Ars Technica).

It has been a long time since we last saw "best viewed with (certain browser)" or please change your browser to continue use certain site thing. Recently, a well known dating website (OkCupid) encourages users to ditch Firefox and its anti-gay CEO (news.com.au).

Brendan Eich has since posted a response on his own blog expressing sorrow “having caused any pain” and reinforced how his views would not affect work at the company:
“I am committed to ensuring that Mozilla is, and will remain, a place that includes and supports everyone, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, ethnicity, economic status, or religion.”
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.19
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Re: Brendan Eich is Mozilla's new (anti-gay) CEO

Postby Antony » Tue 01 Apr, 2014 8:20 pm

Personally, I think those (extremists) are overreacting. It's not that Mozilla browsers would block the access to equal rights content, or would disable certain users from using it.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.19
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby iJohnE » Tue 01 Apr, 2014 9:56 pm

Everyone is anti-something now a days. Personally, while I may not agree with his views. I feel that as I have the rights to mine, he has the rights to his. As long as he keeps his views personal, and out of the company I will not have a problem.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0
"Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss.
User of Windows 8.1 Pro, and LMDE.
iJohnE
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 8:54 pm

Brendan Eich resigns as Mozilla CEO after anti-gay flap :

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1744765

I've used Netscape since version 3.0 right on up to v.9 and every iteration of Mozilla to the current. As you can see, I'm currently using Chrome but I've not settled on a final browser choice. It will NOT be any Mozilla browser because as of this very hour, everything Mozilla is being stripped from my computer. I'm finished with this company.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.154 Safari/537.36
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Fri 04 Apr, 2014 1:41 am

That was quick.

I still think people are overreacting.

If you have been making web pages in the late 90s and early 2000s, JavaScript was an important technology. (It still is, just people don't use the term "JavaScript" much these days.) JavaScript first appeared in Netscape 2.0 and became instant popular. (Microsoft followed it on MSIE3, called JScript.) Remember back in old days when we move the cursor over an image (link), it changed the colour or the shape? (Thesedays this effect is done with CSS.)
Brendan Eich is the creator of this important technology for the web.
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Fri 04 Apr, 2014 11:26 am

What you may not know, as someone not in the tech industry, is that Eich is not just some suit who has done some engineering. He is credited as literally the inventor of the JavaScript programming language. This is the scripting language that more or less operates the browser and allows a web page to interact with the user as opposed to be a static display. You might think that would be pretty relevant for the CEO of a freaking browser company. But apparently not as important as the fact that the guy had the same opinion on SSM as Barack Obama in 2008.

That’s what makes this thing so chilling. JavaScript is the world’s most widely used programming language. He invented it! And he also works for a company, Mozilla, that has a policy of keeping out of the office anything (like, say, campaign donations) that doesn’t directly affect the company’s mission — a policy that he had pledged to abide by as CEO. And still, they wouldn’t tolerate him.

If they can knock off a guy like Eich, one of the co-founders of the company and one of the most important figures in the tech industry, because of his belief in traditional marriage, who is safe? I’ve not read anything about Eich’s religious beliefs, but he does have five children, and graduated from Santa Clara University, which is Catholic. Whatever his faith, if he has faith, this is a clear shot that no orthodox Catholic, Evangelical, or Orthodox Christian, or Orthodox Jew, or faithful Muslim, is welcome at Mozilla

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ ... isnt-safe/
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.154 Safari/537.36
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Sat 05 Apr, 2014 1:27 am

Think about it, the fuss of this Brendan Eich thing might be something to do with those very vocal and opinionated individuals which I referred to them (broadly) as open-source extremists. This is really nothing to do with "open-source,", but more or less the (common) characters of those open-source extremists.

In this particular case, it demonstrated open-source extremists' decision making pattern... to them most things are either "black" or "white", in this case "right" or "wrong". Once the judgement is done. It is followed by either "for" or "against" it, naturally.
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Sat 05 Apr, 2014 9:29 am

It's a challenge to freedom of thought and speech and frankly, if a guy like Brendan Eich is not safe, no one is in this politically correct society. In other words... keep your mouth shut tight... express no views contrary to the popular ones... if you have religious beliefs, hide them... if you wish to make donations to unpopular causes, do so anonymously.

I'm not sure about open-source extremists but I entirely agree with EXTREMISTS. Mozilla is dead to me from this point forward. I want nothing to do with the company.
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Lorraine » Sat 05 Apr, 2014 8:56 pm

Doesn't Brendon Eich have the right to donate money to whoever he wants?
What a bunch of narrow minded, bigoted people.
What about his freedom of choice? Perhaps he needed to get rid of $1,000.on
his Income tax. He might have not even known what Prop 8 was for.
I would give him the benefit of the doubt.
-Lorraine
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3
Lorraine
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Mandrake » Sun 04 May, 2014 6:22 am

I think Mozilla did (somewhat) over-react in this case. I'm an atheist and sees something like marriage equality as an essential reform. I still totally understand that people are entitled to their own beliefs. As long as these beliefs weren't going to effect his work at Mozilla I don't see what the problem was.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0
Core i7 920 | ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 | 3TB+ HDD | 12GB Corsair DDR3 | Radeon 4890 Xfire | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Logitech Z-5500 Speakers | Dell 3008WFP | Seven RC1
Mandrake

Postby iJohnE » Sun 04 May, 2014 12:26 pm

Mandrake wrote:I think Mozilla did (somewhat) over-react in this case. I'm an atheist and sees something like marriage equality as an essential reform. I still totally understand that people are entitled to their own beliefs. As long as these beliefs weren't going to effect his work at Mozilla I don't see what the problem was.

Thank you Mandrake. That is exactly how I fell. While I may be gay, and may fully believe that marriage equality is a needed reform. Like Mandrake said, some people do not feel that way. And are fully entitled to their beliefs, and are fully entitled to support whatever projects they wish.

It kind of makes me sad that he resigned from Mozilla, as I feel like he could have brought a lot of good to the company. It also kind of makes me sad that because of one persons views in a company, people are willing to jump to the rash conclusions that now the whole company feels and will act that way.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0
"Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss.
User of Windows 8.1 Pro, and LMDE.
iJohnE
diamond member
diamond member

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape