Can I be hacked?

This section is for any issues on setting up or configuring networks at home and small business.

Can I be hacked?

Postby James » Sun 16 Oct, 2005 9:10 am

Been doing a little investigating and from what I can discover, a pipe lock is something that relates solely to a particular router rather than anything that is done from the server end of things. I've looked my router over... a Linksys Wireless G (WRT54G) and apparently there is no pipe lock button on it. So, I'm assuming I cannot lock down our broadband connection short of physically disconnecting the cable. Am I right?

Here's another question for you: When you turn "off" your computer at night (if you do) is there anyway you can be hacked or is your physical connection severed? :?:
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Re: Can I be hacked?

Postby Antony » Sun 16 Oct, 2005 9:16 am

James wrote:Here's another question for you: When you turn "off" your computer at night (if you do) is there anyway you can be hacked or is your physical connection severed? :?:
The answer is no.

Unless you set you computer to awake from Network... But then, if your computer does get awake from sleep, it still needs to have connections to the internet for any hacking activities to work. (e.g. connected to certain site, or certain network.)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/412.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/412.5
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Sun 16 Oct, 2005 10:19 am

All right, Antony. Work with me here. :)

I'm wondering exactly "how" a firewall works. Does it physically prevent anything from outside entering one's computer OR does it simply render the computer invisible? If it sort of gives my computer a Star Trek-like cloak of invisibility, would it be possible for someone (although highly improbable) to penetrate to my computer? Currently my little network (two computers) sits behind a Linksys router as indicated before and both computers have software firewalls. So... is it a physical impossibility of penetrating to my computer or not?

If it "is" possible, what is the best advice in terms of being "away" from the computer for several hours? Do you actually turn if "off" or just log off and let it be? And besides... just logging off really does nothing, right... since you're still connected (cable connection here) even though no web pages may be up on your monitor.

Thanks for any insight here.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Sun 16 Oct, 2005 7:29 pm

James wrote:All right, Antony. Work with me here. :)

I'm wondering exactly "how" a firewall works. Does it physically prevent anything from outside entering one's computer OR does it simply render the computer invisible?
Well, if you think "firewall" as a filter, it would be easier to understand.
Firstly any packets (information) sending to firewall will be checked if that is legitimate (correct packet format...)
Next it would check if such packet is allowed or not (by user's rules or pre-set rules)

James wrote:If it sort of gives my computer a Star Trek-like cloak of invisibility, would it be possible for someone (although highly improbable) to penetrate to my computer? Currently my little network (two computers) sits behind a Linksys router as indicated before and both computers have software firewalls. So... is it a physical impossibility of penetrating to my computer or not?
Well, I don't watch Star Trek, but it is possible to hide the existence of your computer from someone else, but this does not help much in my opinion.

In order to other people to attack your network, they need to connect to your computer in two aspects... physical link (including wireless), ports.

Say you connect to SillyDog701 website (or in fact any website), there must be at least two ports open. On for you to transmit requests to SillyDog701 (e.g. which link you clicked), another one for SillyDog701 to transmit back your request.

Those ports are opened between the browser you use and SillyDog701 server. In other words, if you use Firefox to connect to SillyDog701, SillyDog701 server can only send information to your Firefox, not anywhere in your computer (unless your Firefox has been comprised).

James wrote:If it "is" possible, what is the best advice in terms of being "away" from the computer for several hours? Do you actually turn if "off" or just log off and let it be? And besides... just logging off really does nothing, right... since you're still connected (cable connection here) even though no web pages may be up on your monitor.
My advice is ... install a firewall and let the computer sleep, and don't download files from untrusted sources (*). OR even better, log off and let it sleep. ZoneLabs' ZoneAlarm is a good one, I've been using it in my Windows PCs.

Once the computer is in sleep mode, the operating system is not running, so any connections from outside won't have any effects.

(*) This includes music etc. Some applications you downloaded may create ports and hackers may attack your computer from that.

To download music, I recommend download music from legal source, iTunes Music Store, and please use any iTunes link from SillyDog701, so I get paid. :-)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/412.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/412.5
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby DJGM » Sun 16 Oct, 2005 7:45 pm

Antony wrote:(*) This includes music etc. Some applications you downloaded may
create ports and hackers may attack your computer from that.

To download music, I recommend download music from legal source,
iTunes Music Store,
and please use any iTunes link from SillyDog701, so I get paid. :-)

Are you getting commission from Apple every time you mention the iTunes Music Store?
:wink:

(And OT - this is my 3,500th post! w00t, or something!)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050910 SeaMonkey/1.0a
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
Windows Internet Explorer = Old Swiss Cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Sun 16 Oct, 2005 8:09 pm

DJGM wrote:
Antony wrote:(*) This includes music etc. Some applications you downloaded may create ports and hackers may attack your computer from that.

To download music, I recommend download music from legal source, iTunes Music Store, and please use any iTunes link from SillyDog701, so I get paid. :-)
Are you getting commission from Apple every time you mention the iTunes Music Store?
:wink:
I've never concealed the fact that purchasing legal music via SillyDog701's iTunes link supports SillyDog701.
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Sun 16 Oct, 2005 9:12 pm

Thanks, Antony. As always this has been very instructional and helpful. I appreciate your help. :)
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Return to Home and Business Networking