Chrome OS to get taskbar and windows

Linux, BSD, UNIX and all other operating systems not covered in other sub-forums.

Chrome OS to get taskbar and windows

Postby Antony » Tue 10 Apr, 2012 10:51 pm

According to TechCrunch, Google's Chrome OS will add the familiar interface of conventional operating systems, window manager (Aura), a Windows-like taskbar (shelf), and the ability of having multiple windows.

Chrome was designed to be web app focused in tabs rather than in different windows and initially apart from a browser, it did not have any other familiar elements in other operating systems. Thus resulted inability to do certain basic tasks as in a desktop OS. Electronista labelled this as worst-of-both-worlds where users neither have the flexibility of a conventional Mac or Windows notebook nor the portability and intuitiveness of a tablet.

Personally, I tried Chrome OS under Parallels Desktop for Mac, apart from a web browser, I honestly do not know what else I could do with it.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; en-US; rv:1.9.2.28) Gecko/20120306 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.28
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Re: Chrome OS to get taskbar and windows

Postby Edward » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 6:18 pm

Within the past couple of days, I've been seeing popups at various web sites, telling me to download and install an app for my Chrome tablet, mostly at newspaper web sites.

The thing is, I'm not using a tablet, I'm using Google Chrome on Linux! I have no idea why the web sites think I'm using a tablet... :lol:
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/536.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/20.0.1132.47 Safari/536.11
SillyDog701 Moderator
debian - SeaMonkey
Edward

Re: Chrome OS to get taskbar and windows

Postby Antony » Sun 08 Jul, 2012 11:14 pm

Edward wrote:The thing is, I'm not using a tablet, I'm using Google Chrome on Linux! I have no idea why the web sites think I'm using a tablet... :lol:

I would guess it was a quick UserAgent detection, not a detailed browser/device testing.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:13.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/13.0.1 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.15
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Return to Linux and Other OSes