Client Customization Kit 0.2 for Firefox released

A section for all development and testing programmes and customised browsers written by SillyDog701 community. Featured products including Donzilla, Firescape, DJGM Distro, and Netscape Streamline.

Client Customization Kit 0.2 for Firefox released

Postby Andrew T. » Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:11 am

Good news! Version 0.2 of the Client Customization Kit, a project that was revived by Michael Kaply last April, is now available:

This version is the first to use a wizard interface to allow you to customize the content of the CCK. It produces an XPI file that can be installed as an extension into a Deer Park release as well as installed when a Deer Park release is installed.

(I assume that version 0.1 was released earlier when I wasn't paying attention :wink:)

I'm glad to see that progress is being made on this project, and the prospect of making and distributing customized versions of Netscape or Mozilla browsers is viable again. Even so, it goes without question that this remains an early build, so don't expect it to be trouble-free. For example, a comment on the corresponding MozillaZine article reads:
Great idea...but the latest version doesn't work completely. I tried to use the wizard and got through the final step, but it couldn't create the XPI. I looked at the JS console, and it said that it couldn't copy the file because it wasn't found. I had to write my own install.rdf and package it myself, and that makes the extension fully functional. Seems like there's probably a typo in the code indicating which files need to be created.

I haven't tried the CCK out myself.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win95; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050716 Firefox/1.0.6
Andrew T.
diamond member
diamond member

Postby DJGM » Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:37 am

It's good to sdee this project hasn't been abandoned, but I don't plan on using it until a full
standalone CCK application is released that's similar to the ones for Netscape 7.x (and 6.x).
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050716 Firefox/1.0.6
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
Windows Internet Explorer = Old Swiss Cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:38 am

Excellent news!

and we expect to see more customised Firefox around.

Time for Firefox Streamline?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/412.6.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/412.2.2
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby DJGM » Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:42 am

I doubt you can get Firefox anymore streamlined than it's default configuration!
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050716 Firefox/1.0.6
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby DJGM » Fri 17 Feb, 2006 11:21 pm

It has now been six months since we've seen any work done on this CCK project. It seems, for whatever
reason, developement may have been abandoned, which is a shame, since it had so much potential.

If only AOL/Netscape would open up the source code for the old Netscape 7.x CCK, and perhaps either
the Mozilla Foundation or the SeaMonkey Council could do something with it. Not necessarily on the
same scale of creating something like the old Netscape Browser Distribution Program though.

But it'd be good to able to use a fully fledged Client Customisation Kit again, to form the basis of some
custom browser distros, instead of mostly hacking away at stuff like those darned config.ini files ... !
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060130 SeaMonkey/1.0
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby DJGM » Fri 17 Feb, 2006 11:24 pm

Looks like I spoke too soon ... it hasn't been abandoned after all!

http://mozilla.org/projects/cck/firefox/
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060130 SeaMonkey/1.0
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Return to SD701 DevZone