Converting from Netscape 7.2 to SeaMonkey

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Re: Converting from Netscape 7.2 to SeaMonkey

Postby PaulD » Fri 02 Dec, 2011 1:38 pm

Dave, you expounded on this better than I could have.

Does anyone have experience as to whether Thunderbird (and SeaMonkey?) degrade more gracefully than did Netscape 7 when a mail folder is of choke-inducing size?

I cautioned about Compacting because of the aside in the original post. But Kiteman's last post would indicate that he is running. Not every user of the Mozilla mail products is cognizant of appropriate folders' housekeeping, and I wanted to reiterate that consideration for the benefit of anyone else that might trip across this thread.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
PaulD
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Fri 02 Dec, 2011 3:18 pm

I've handled this subject a bit differently. Important e-mails are not kept locally on my machine. Instead, I upload them to a webmail account (i.e. Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail), placing them in appropriate folders. This provides a measure of security should my computer crash as well as prevents my mail system from becoming clogged. In general, I try and keep the e-mails that are on my computer for a few months before consigning them elsewhere. It's not a perfect system but it's mine.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:9.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby kiteman » Sun 04 Dec, 2011 11:31 pm

Just looked at the thread since I posted way back when that I met with success in the conversion, and was amazed to see how much it grew! Thanks for the help reference and the tip on compacting files. Likely my wife does not compact, so I'll advise her to do it from time to time.

SM still working flawlessly for her, and she's happy with it. To her it's nearly identical with Netscape 7.2 E-Mail, which is what she wanted.

Thanks again for the help. Appreciate the folks on this forum!

Kiteman
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0.1
kiteman

Previous

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape