Do you use your neighbour's Wi-Fi?

This section is for any issues on setting up or configuring networks at home and small business.

Re: Do you use your neighbour's Wi-Fi?

Postby iJohnE » Fri 23 Mar, 2012 11:22 pm

Okay, let's look at it this way. If the network is unsercured, how I am to know that it ISN'T actually a public access point? A lot of times if there is not a password on the network, the network name also has not been changed. Where I live, coffee shops, libraries and everywhere you can imagine that offers wifi doesn't change the network name from the standard (linksys, netgear, belkin, frontier, etc.) If that network is open, and I choose to use it, how is it different from a public access point? And if I for say was to get in trouble for using it, can I not shoot back with the counter argument that I thought it was a public access point?

I have three networks at my house, my main wireless one ShinyCheetah, my guest network, ShinyCheeta's Visitors, and then ShinyCheeta Mobile, for people's mobile devices (things like the phones, tablets, ipods as they tend to put different network strains so having them seperated helps to keep my limited bandwith usable.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; MASP)
"Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss.
User of Windows 8.1 Pro, and LMDE.
iJohnE
diamond member
diamond member

Re: Do you use your neighbour's Wi-Fi?

Postby solarlights » Thu 18 Oct, 2012 4:49 am

I don't and I can't, because I can't know the password. :P
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.151 Safari/535.19
World biggest LED products Wholesale & Retail platform with best service,the most competitive price.Free Shipping for most items,discount regularly at LEDmarketing.com!
solarlights

Previous

Return to Home and Business Networking