FF 6 Final Now Available

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Re: FF 6 Final Now Available

Postby Antony » Wed 17 Aug, 2011 8:13 am

Mozilla's ‘official’ download page: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

And the release notes ( http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/6.0/releasenotes/ ):

The latest version of Firefox has the following changes:
  • The address bar now highlights the domain of the website you're visiting
  • Streamlined the look of the site identity block
  • Added support for the latest draft version of WebSockets with a prefixed API
  • Added support for EventSource / server-sent events
  • Added support for window.matchMedia
  • Added Scratchpad, an interactive JavaScript prototyping environment
  • Added a new Web Developer menu item and moved development-related items into it
  • Improved usability of the Web Console
  • Improved the discoverability of Firefox Sync
  • Reduced browser startup time when using Panorama
  • Fixed several stability issues
  • Fixed several security issues

I haven't tried Firefox 6.0 myself, however, the first item “The address bar now highlights the domain of the website you're visiting” is nothing new. Internet Explorer and Chrome have had that for quite some time.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.19) Gecko/20110707 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.13 Firefox/3.6.19
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Anonymosity » Thu 18 Aug, 2011 1:22 am

Opera has done that highlighting of the domain as well, and it made most of the address hard to read. I really did not appreciate that. At least Firefox gives one a remedy to change it.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:6.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0
Anonymosity
silver member
silver member

Postby geffr » Thu 18 Aug, 2011 9:03 pm

I updated via regular channel. Noticing very little difference. On first restart, it said 2 dll's were missing, but that hasn't repeated. Still seeing occasional freezes as with 5.0 (I think this is the old large script issue which had gone away in 4.x) & subjectively resolving dns is taking a lot longer, especially for the 1st couple minutes after browser start up. Whether that's coincidence or an issue with 6x, I don't know.

I really don't get why this is 6.0 rather than 5.02.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0
geffr
silver member
silver member

Previous

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape