Firefox 8 released with Twitter search

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Firefox 8 released with Twitter search

Postby Antony » Wed 09 Nov, 2011 3:28 am

Mozilla revealed two newly updated browsers: the final version of Firefox 8 for Mac, Windows and Linux, and updated Firefox for Andriod (free, Android Market). Firefox 8 for desktops now includes Twitter as a search option.

Firefox 8.0 is available at http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html

Firefox 8.0 release notes is available at http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
What's new in Firefox
The latest version of Firefox has the following changes:

Add-ons installed by third party programs are now disabled by default
Added a one-time add-on selection dialog to manage previously installed add-ons
Added Twitter to the search bar for select locales. Additional locale support will be added in the future
Added a preference to load tabs on demand, improving start-up time when windows are restored
Improved performance and memory handling when using <audio> and <video> elements
Added CORS support for cross-domain textures in WebGL
Added support for HTML5 context menus
Added support for insertAdjacentHTML
Improved CSS hyphen support for many languages
Improved WebSocket support
Fixed several stability issues
Fixed several security issues

Apart from going social by adding Twitter search (directly from the browser itself), Firefox 8.0 increases its controlling power by disabling third party installed add-ons.

So the even more awesomeness (according to Johnathan Nightingale, Director of Firefox Engineering) in Firefox 8.0 is more social and more controlling.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.23) Gecko/20110920 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.23
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Re: Firefox 8 released with Twitter search

Postby geffr » Wed 09 Nov, 2011 1:03 pm

Unless I've become a total klutz overnight, I seem to have discovered an irritating bug in 8:

It has a tendency that when I go to the top right of my screen to shut down a program in the foreground to shut down FF instead. This has happened several times this morning & it's starting to get irritating.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0
geffr
silver member
silver member

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape