Firefox reaches version 10

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Re: Firefox reaches version 10

Postby James » Tue 07 Feb, 2012 10:37 am

Catthief has a tab x extension for all versions of SeaMonkey. It's found here:

http://www.tom-cat.com/mozilla/extensions.html
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:10.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby richard mitnick » Tue 07 Feb, 2012 12:33 pm

James- Thanks much.

>>RSM
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:10.0) Gecko/20120129 Firefox/10.0 SeaMonkey/2.7
richard mitnick
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Tue 07 Feb, 2012 3:25 pm

Good stuff, Richard. :)
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Fulvio » Tue 07 Feb, 2012 6:18 pm

I had a different, and scary, experience. I had found out that any old addon was usable, though listed as incompatible, with the Add-on Compatibility Reporter. So, I downloaded, and was able to install the Colorful Tabs addon. I restarted Seamonkey 2.7, and, sure enough the tabs were colorful, but connection was destroyed. I could not use Seamonkey to access any sites. I removed the addon, and after restarting connection was reestablished.
I went to check my addons, and noticed that Add-on Compatibility Reporter(ACR) had been disabled, so, all other incompatible addons would not work. I enabled ACR, and all incompatible addons were working. So, this fool decided to try again. The results were the same. Nice tabs, but no connection. I removed the Colorful Tabs addon, but, on restarting the connection was not reestablished. What can one do? Reboot the computer, first, and everything is cool now. Much too interesting experience!
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:10.0) Gecko/20120129 Firefox/10.0 SeaMonkey/2.7
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.25, FF28, Google Chrome 34, TB24.4, IE8.0, , Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, Win 8.1, IE11.
Fulvio

Postby richard mitnick » Tue 07 Feb, 2012 6:55 pm

You know, the thing that gets me, this browser race/war whatever, it's three thoroughbreds and two dogs. FF and SM, Gecko, are both fantastic. Google's Chrome, Webkit, also great. IE, Trident, and Safari, Webkit, just might as well not be there. Both MSFT and Apple have tons of money, this "war" never ends, although by this time no one really cares. They are just not in it.

I just do not get it. I know, IE has its adherents, my colleague is one of them. And, he has experimented with both FF and Chrome. He thinks IE is as good as any. He like to be able to disable and re-enable Flash. My whole West Coast family are all Mac users, all using Safari and quite happy.

So, maybe is there something to building up cache, which I have not done in years in IE?

Everything for me revolves around my two blogs. Each has a Twitter account and that means two browsers. Because Twitter basically sucks.

Safari I tried, it was pretty quick, but it is too clunky at handling copying in hot links and graphics, which FF, SM and Chrome all do very well. IE was so slow for me it just never got that far.

Last, I wish that SM had a better following. I am told that most developers and most users are in Europe. The user base is somewhere between 1/2 and 1 million. The browser is much better than that. I never used any other part of Netscape or Mozilla, so maybe that is the rub. Or the sort of silly philosophy of a separate browser and email client, even if they do work together exactly like the Suite. SM is not my default, but I use it all the time.

I hope that you are all enjoying your Winter or Summer, wherever you reside.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/16.0.912.77 Safari/535.7
richard mitnick
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Tue 07 Feb, 2012 9:42 pm

My wife is also a staunch adherent of IE9 but then, her son works for MS so she wants to keep things "in the family" so to speak. Our company insists upon IE and so I've grown used to it although I seldom use it at home. IE will always be with us and as we near Windows 8 (beta this summer and possibly even a final before year's end) we will also be given IE10 which has been rumored to be much faster and more secure than anything now on the market (of course, the other browsers won't be standing still during the months ahead). As soon as Windows 8 is available, I'll be an early adoptee.

As for SM, while I have a tender spot for it given my love for Netscape, I firmly believe it will never be adopted by more than a very, very small (insignificant) base of users. It has an old look... an old feel... and it just isn't cool. It looks to me like something I used back in 2004. I wish it were a bit more "out there"... had something unique about it. I suspect it will never amount to more than 1% of users online. And the same goes for Opera although I believe it is a little stronger, given the European user-base. But its numbers are also insignificant.

Chrome will only get stronger as time goes on. It has the power and wealth of Google behind it and it's finding its way onto all manner of Android devices. Soon Firefox will be playing catchup to Chrome (my opinion, mind you).
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby DJGM » Fri 24 Feb, 2012 10:47 pm

Re: SeaTab X ... mentioned earlier.

That sort of extension is redundant (for me at least) when a "middle-click" on any tab closes it.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20120216 Firefox/10.0.2 SeaMonkey/2.7.2 Lightning/1.2.1
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
Windows Internet Explorer = Old Swiss Cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Previous

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape