Frustrated by Netsape Search

This section is for storing good and useful posts for referencing. This section is read only, if you have any questions, please ask in appropriate sections.

Frustrated by Netsape Search

Postby James » Fri 20 Aug, 2004 9:44 am

I absolutely despise Netscape Search. It is saturated with advertising and that bloody Netscape bar at the top remains with you wherever you go. I've managed through the Mycroft download to get Google to work as the default by typing in the address bar at the top and clicking on the Search button located beside it. BUT if I simply hit Enter, that cruddy Netscape Search engine is enacted. Is there any workaround to completely get rid of the Netscape search????? :x :x :evil:
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby captjlddavis » Fri 20 Aug, 2004 12:06 pm

James,

Please see my reply HERE

e.g. If you want Google, this is the entry that you add/edit as I indicated.

pref("keyword.URL", "http://www.google.com/search?q=");

I do not use the user.js file, but if you would prefer that method, add the following entry to your user.js file.

user_pref("keyword.URL", "http://www.google.com/search?q=");

Note: if you edit via user.js or about:config, it will be profile specific

HTH

regards:captjlddavis
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040803
old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill everytime......
captjlddavis
gold member
gold member

Postby James » Fri 20 Aug, 2004 11:56 pm

Thanks, Captain, but it definitely doesn't work for me. I followed your directions to a "t" and still it brings up Netscape. Oh well.... :?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby captjlddavis » Sat 21 Aug, 2004 12:03 am

James, are you the same James that posted at WBBs ?

If yes, lets all get on the same page please.

captjlddavis
gold member
gold member

Postby Alice » Sun 22 Aug, 2004 4:34 am

James wrote:I absolutely despise Netscape Search. It is saturated with advertising and that bloody Netscape bar at the top remains with you wherever you go. I've managed through the Mycroft download to get Google to work as the default by typing in the address bar at the top and clicking on the Search button located beside it. BUT if I simply hit Enter, that cruddy Netscape Search engine is enacted. Is there any workaround to completely get rid of the Netscape search?????

James wrote:Thanks, Captain, but it definitely doesn't work for me. I followed your directions to a "t" and still it brings up Netscape. Oh well....

I entered about:config in the location bar, to bring up the configuration utility - see http://ilias.ca/netscape/customizing/ for details. Then I found the keyword.URL preference. I right-clicked it, selected "modify" and entered
Code: Select all
http://www.google.com/search?q=
as was suggested. I also enabled Internet Keywords in Smart Browsing.

It does work (Google will then be used, not Netscape), when entering terms in the Location Bar and hitting Enter, assuming Internet Keywords are enabled.

If you can't get the Enter key to work then I would suggest that you either use the Search button, or select the search option that appears in the drop-down box when you type anything into the location (address) bar, as shown in in this screenshot another user posted here:
http://ufaq.org/modules.php?name=Forums ... pic&t=2535
no choice in internet search from the address bar in 7.2?
Alice
Mozilla Champion
Mozilla Champion

Postby James » Sun 22 Aug, 2004 11:17 am

Alice... Captain.... I appreciate you both trying to assist me... but it's really quite beyond me. I've never been knowledgeable around computers... it's all completely foreign to me and what appears, no doubt, as very straight-forward to you both, is incomprehensible to me. I think I'm going to just give up on this and put a Google link in my personal bar. That's good enough. Besides, I'm not using NS as much now since it seems to be quite a bit slower than Opera and Firefox (at least for me). Probably I haven't configured it correctly or something but maybe that's why I sort of gave up on Netscape a few years back... it just required too much tweaking and background experience to make it work well. Sorry to be such a nuisance.

BTW... when you install NS it asks permission to install Java. But the version I have with Opera (1.4.2._05) I'm quite sure is more recent. Would it have been best to custom install NS and leave out the Java??
UserAgent: Opera/7.54 (Windows NT 5.1; U) [en]
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Fulvio » Sun 22 Aug, 2004 11:22 am

Just hide the toolbar. And, as for Java, I was in the same boat as you, and everything is cool.
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Postby James » Sun 22 Aug, 2004 11:39 am

Hi Fulvio

We're off to church but before I head out I decided to open up Netscape and do as you mentioned...hide that confounded tool bar. I ordered the cd and book which should arrive this week. What I think I will do is uninstall this installation, read the book very slowly and try to re-install it properly. No doubt I've screwed something up somewhere otherwise it wouldn't be so slow at rendering pages (compared to FF and Opera). When I do uninstall it, is it best to simply delete ALL the files and start from scratch? And would you do a search for Netscape and delete those files as well.. if you wanted to wipe the slate relatively clean, that is? I don't feel capable of going into the registry and messing about but I would consider doing a search and delete.
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Jeffredo » Sun 22 Aug, 2004 1:46 pm

Hey James. I know this has been mentioned before in other threads, but installing the Mycroft extension (very easy) will give you a huge selection of search engines to choose from. After installing, restart and then go to preferences/Navigator/Internet Search and change the default to one of those many choices. It may be overkill, but it was an easy way for me to get Google! :)

http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/mycroft
Jeff
Jeffredo

Postby Fulvio » Sun 22 Aug, 2004 1:57 pm

Jeffredo wrote:Hey James. I know this has been mentioned before in other threads, but installing the Mycroft extension (very easy) will give you a huge selection of search engines to choose from. After installing, restart and then go to preferences/Navigator/Internet Search and change the default to one of those many choices. It may be overkill, but it was an easy way for me to get Google! :)

http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/mycroft

I have already tried, and I have seven different search engines. Since, I get Google from my Prefbar, I am using the default search in a morespecialized way. I have amazon.com, now.
In a way, it is the same principle used by Copernic, but less automatic.
copernic uses just about as many Search engines that you can stand to have, if you have the Plus( for pay) version. But no Google.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Postby captjlddavis » Sun 22 Aug, 2004 2:22 pm

All this talk about "search" has made me dizzy, there are a multitude of ways to search. ALL have there merits. Some require additional "tweaking" and others are straight forward. So it is just a matter of selecting the one that you want. ALL the ways and "tweaks" posted do work.

To add another 2¢ worth, I saw no mention of ( for lack of a better word) Bookmarklet.

Details can be found:
[tt]HERE[/tt]

But then again, thats just another way...

captjlddavis
gold member
gold member

Postby Jeffredo » Sun 22 Aug, 2004 2:41 pm

All I can say is that I added Mycroft, chose Google as my default seach engine, and now when I hit the search button on the menu bar or from the context menu after highlighting something it uses Google, not Netscape search. :)
Jeff
Jeffredo

Postby Fulvio » Sun 22 Aug, 2004 5:18 pm

Jeffredo wrote:All I can say is that I added Mycroft, chose Google as my default seach engine, and now when I hit the search button on the menu bar or from the context menu after highlighting something it uses Google, not Netscape search. :)

I am in complete agreement, as long as they are proper search engines. I just made a test with Yahoo, Google and Amazon.com, and I can bring up what I have selected. After being overwhelmed with the choices, I can see that the site will deliver. I have nothing that a simple search, no extras, so my context menu leaves me alone. But, there are other ways,of course.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8a3) Gecko/20040820 Sealizard/0.9.1+
~ Henrik Ibsen
Fulvio

Postby Alice » Sun 22 Aug, 2004 8:01 pm

James wrote:BTW... when you install NS it asks permission to install Java. But the version I have with Opera (1.4.2._05) I'm quite sure is more recent. Would it have been best to custom install NS and leave out the Java??

The version included with Netscape 7.2 is way outdated, version 1.4.1_02. So DEFINITELY, I would have left OFF Java when installing Netscape.

If you want to check your Java installation, go to this site:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.jsp

That site will tell you the currently-used Java version and you will see a 'dancing duke' animated figure if it is installed correctly. If it shows that JRE 1.4.2_05 is being used and it is working OK, I would leave well enough alone.

James wrote:What I think I will do is uninstall this installation, read the book very slowly and try to re-install it properly. No doubt I've screwed something up somewhere otherwise it wouldn't be so slow at rendering pages (compared to FF and Opera). When I do uninstall it, is it best to simply delete ALL the files and start from scratch? And would you do a search for Netscape and delete those files as well.. if you wanted to wipe the slate relatively clean, that is? I don't feel capable of going into the registry and messing about but I would consider doing a search and delete.

James,
Uninstaling Netscape will not uninstall your Java Plugin, since that is a separate program, in case that's what you were thinking. You have to Uninstall JRE 1.4.1_02 from Control Panel Add/Remove programs. But, you can leave both JRE 1.4.1_02 and JRE 1.4.2_05 versions installed if your Java is working properly. That's up to you.

Before uninstalling and reinstalling Netscape 7.2 you may want to try the following.

1. If Netsape QuickLaunch is enabled, DISABLE it . [Edit >Preferences >Advanced... UNcheck QuickLaunch. Close Netscape.

2. From Start Programs Netscape menu open the Profile Manager and create a new profile (it can be removed later, and the old profile will still be there, so don't worry). Afer creating the new profile start Netscape. No need to redo your Mail, right now. Just check if the browser runs OK in the new profile. If a new profile helps, post back if you need more information on either cleaning up the old profile or transfering information from the old to the new profile. See http://ilias.ca/netscape/profilefaq/ under Selectively transferring certain data

If a new profile doesn't help:

THIS is how I would uninstall and reinstall NS7.2, for a CLEAN install. NO NEED to edit the registry!

If you didn't save the setup files for NS7.2 then download the stub installer (or the full/offline installer, appx 24MB, if you prefer) for NS7.2 and place in a folder you've created, like C:\Setup\Netscape7.2 or on the desktop.
Disable antivirus program
Do a disk cleanup and remove all temp files.
[Easy way: in Start, Run: type in and enter %temp% and click OK. When the Temp folder opens, click Edit >Select All then click File> Delete. to delete all the contents of the TEMP folder.]
Create a folder called Backup on your hard drive, if you don't already have a backup folder.
Make a copy of the C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape\Plugins folder, then paste the copy in the Backup folder, JUST IN CASE you need any of them. It's better not to reuse plugins if you aren't sure.
Next:
Uninstall Netscape 7.2 from add/remove programs
Restart the computer
Delete leftover C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape folder contents
Delete C:\Program Files\Common Files\mozilla.org\GRE\1.7.2_2004080415 folder
Run the Netscape setup file that you downloaded, to install Netscape 7.2
Choose the Custom install. Besides the browser, I would select:
AIM-Mail/news
spellchecker
classic skin.
That would be 13,746 KB total if you are using the stub installer.
Alice
Mozilla Champion
Mozilla Champion

Return to Reference Centre