Getting rid of Spyware

Microsoft Windows operating system, and software for Windows platform, including QuickTime Player and iTunes for Windows. We also discuss topics about Microsoft Corp.

Postby Fulvio » Thu 27 May, 2004 1:05 am

djv1 wrote:What is Zone Alarm exactly? What does it do?

Zone Alarm is, basically, an excellent firewall. I installed today, the new v.5.0, and it blocked almost 300 access attempt, one of which was rated dangerous. The free version has, also Mail safe, something which will catch certain type of script in attachment. I got only one in the years since I got the free ZA. The Pro version incorporate feature which already exist on my computer, and may actually cause conflicts.It blocks Popups, erases Internet tracks, and it combines the features of an Antivirus and of Anti-Spyware program. The AV is brand new, but I trust my server-based AV scanning, augmented by AVG. And Netscape or Mozilla do a create job of blocking popups. The new versions of Adaware and Spybot S & D work beautifully.
I am very leery of problem which have been reported by users of multiple application programs, such as Norton or McAfee. There are people who swear by them, and other at them. The free programs suit me fine, and they have caused minimal problems.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.26.1, FF31, TB31, IE8.0 Google Chrome 36 , Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11.
Fulvio

Postby Amrad » Sun 06 Jun, 2004 2:25 pm

Hello Djv1,

I'm using Adaware 6 and it is possible to remove any files that are found.

After a scan, if any "objects" are found, they are listed with details about who sent them, what type of object they are (e.g "Data Miner"), their location on your computer and the relevant URL, if applicable.

You mark the ones you want to remove, click Continue, confirm that you wish to remove them, click Continue. You then get a list showing the folder in which the marked items have been "quarantined" and can choose whether or not to delete it.

No payment is required to do this.

Regards,

Dave.

djv1 wrote:I used adware for a while but got rid of it when I realized that I had to pay for it in order to get rid of the files. Usually norton will get most spyware so I don't have to worry about it..
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040514
Amrad
silver member
silver member

Postby TechNewbie » Sat 21 Aug, 2004 2:17 pm

I used Spybot and AdAware until I found they didn't do a good job getting rid of some particularly bad spyware/malware I then went to Bazooka scanner though it does not remove the problems it ID's them and leads you step by step in there removal from the registry ect. (I believe they use Pest Patrols library) Its the fastest scanner there is as well.

Jason
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; yie6; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
TechNewbie

Getting rid of Spyware

Postby Blackbeard » Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:17 am

I used to use Spybot which did a good job for quite a while but I guess there was a big lack of donations as the progam has not been updated in over a year and is just about defunct...................... Then there's the tool that comes with AOL 9.0 - waste of time unless you have all day....so that's gone now too. Am currently running Trial Version of XoftSpy - at first look it does a great job and helped me pick up and eliminate a trojan downloader called conscorr.exe from my pc a few days back.
What really is dreadful is that if you investigate this program on the Net they have identified its creator as an internet advertising concern - you know what I mean the type of pigs that constantly bombard your PC with PopUps and Spam (housing Trojans)...... The very people that have made using a PC in the modern era a nightmare...............
How come they've not been prosecuted yet???? or better still - eliminated!!!!!
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
Blackbeard

Re: Getting rid of Spyware

Postby Don_HH2K » Thu 14 Oct, 2004 4:52 pm

Blackbeard wrote:I used to use Spybot which did a good job for quite a while but I guess there was a big lack of donations as the progam has not been updated in over a year and is just about defunct

The program itself may not have been updated recently, but the scan definitions were updated just last week.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
Laptop: HP Compaq nx6325 - Turion 64 X2 @ 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100GB HD, ATI Radeon X300, 15" LCD, Seven Pro
Handheld: Palm Treo 650 - Intel PXA270 @ 312MHz, 10MB RAM, 32MB flash, 2.7" LCD, Palm OS 5.4
Don_HH2K

Getting rid of Spyware

Postby Blackbeard » Thu 14 Oct, 2004 7:58 pm

and how do you download the definitions and patch spybot with them........ I tried the updater about 4 times in the past year and Nothing!!!!!!
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
Blackbeard

Re: Getting rid of Spyware

Postby Don_HH2K » Thu 14 Oct, 2004 8:18 pm

Blackbeard wrote:and how do you download the definitions and patch spybot with them........ I tried the updater about 4 times in the past year and Nothing!!!!!!

Spybot's integrated updater works fine here, I get new detection rules every two or three weeks here, and they install fine.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
Laptop: HP Compaq nx6325 - Turion 64 X2 @ 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100GB HD, ATI Radeon X300, 15" LCD, Seven Pro
Handheld: Palm Treo 650 - Intel PXA270 @ 312MHz, 10MB RAM, 32MB flash, 2.7" LCD, Palm OS 5.4
Don_HH2K

MSN has apparently hijacked my IE6.5 browser Shortcuts......

Postby Blackbeard » Thu 14 Oct, 2004 9:08 pm

I'm mystified by this post - still I will stay with XoftSpy for now...........it goes a little deeper into the system and registry than Spybot did from what I can see and have had no problems with it thus far - am only on about the 6th day of the trial so I got time to make decisions........ I loved Spybot as it was free and none of these stupid time limitations etc.............

It's kind of a lite registry mechanic................................. picking up spyware, malware etc and letting you clean em out!!!!!!!
Blackbeard

Postby Fulvio » Fri 15 Oct, 2004 12:02 am

It may depend on the version, but the most recent Spybot S & D have easy ways to check for updates. The right side of the S & D screen shows only three buttons, Check for problems, Recovery and Search for updates. There are three items, issued today. There is also an update button on the left. They never failed. I have been using the default scanning, and it may be worth trying if you don't go overboard. I am not trying to go so deeply that I can't use a program. I got burned before.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax) (CK-SillyDog)
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.26.1, FF31, TB31, IE8.0 Google Chrome 36 , Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11.
Fulvio

Message for Fulvio and the Mass Populii

Postby Blackbeard » Sun 17 Oct, 2004 4:40 pm

Hi Fulvio...................

Re. My post on Spybot a few days back!!! Important >> read on!!!!!

I suspected I still had a few problems even after downloading latest Version and latest updates............. Ran a scan and it came up clean!!!!!! I found a program called synchroAd in my add/Remove menu and could not expel it so I downloades Ad-Aware and ran it. Lo and behold I had abput 35 entries which Spybot never covered [I've emailed them about this]. Among them the 180solutions once again (courtesy of the Weather Channel). Others as listed below......

In any case SpyBot cannot be relied on at the moment. Even after running ad-aware I ren registry Mechanic whick found about another 15 irregularities - 7 of them Deep Registry....

I did take your tip and now have downloaded Firefox and am runnig it as my primary - I don't like the fact that similar to previous versions of Mozilla some of the file menus don't work, in particular Find in Page and Find Next items................... I do like the browser however.

I currently use in Addition to Spybot, Registry Mechanic, Ad-Aware, Tracks Erazer Pro and Spyware Blaster..................... Even if I could rely on SpyBot to do the job it makes sense to have options and clearly if I did not I would still be highly infested....................

There seems to be precious little you can download these days without having mandatory adware and spyware attached to it >> I wish there is something that could be done about it as do the majority of us I'm sure!!!!

another program to stay well clear of is XP Visual Tools >> they are linked to a site called themes online. Download some of their themes for example and they're crammed with malware and junkware!!!!!

I would recommend also staying awar from many of the download sites, especially those with Cracks on them. Many of the Russian and Eastern European sites disguise anti spyware programs or cracks as a thing called Slotchbar which I find particularly nasty and invasive. Mabe the next step is to have protection in which we can 'disallow' all sites................ a defunct internet!!!!!!

Here's that list!!!!!

180Solutions(TAC index:8):5 total references
BlazeFind(TAC index:5):26 total references
DyFuCA(TAC index:3):2 total references
Elitum.ElitebarBHO(TAC index:5):1 total references
MRU List(TAC index:0):11 total references
Other(TAC index:5):2 total references
Powerscan(TAC index:5):1 total references
SideFind(TAC index:5):2 total references
Tracking Cookie(TAC index:3):2 total references
WinAD(TAC index:7):2 total references
VX2(TAC index:10):3 total references
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20041001 Firefox/0.10.1
Blackbeard

For anyone interested

Postby Blackbeard » Mon 18 Oct, 2004 1:54 am

For anyone so inclined................ Have posted my thoughts, suggestions and a few links at the link below:

http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7318

Been riiddled with quite a few different infestations in recent days and had to fight hard to reagain control!!!!

had synchroAd, WNET Updater, conscorr.ece, 180solutions to name but a few of them and they proved to be a bit of a handful to say the least!!!!

SpyBot on it's wn is not sufficient to deal with the problem and suggest it is used in conjunction with ad-awareSE 1.5, a good registry clean up utility such as Regitry Mechanc or Registry Doctor,and ultimately HijackThis . On top of this it's a good idea to download Registry Blaster and Firefox........... Internet Explorer is so full of holes it's harly got any substance left whatsoever!!!!

I found that ad-aware is detecting between 25 and 50% more problems than spyBotwith with both programs fully up to date and have emailed Patrick Kolla of my concerns. Registry Mechanic or Doctor witll clean up the leftovers and leave you with a pretty clean system

Hope this is of some use to someone, somewhere!!!!!!
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20041001 Firefox/0.10.1
Blackbeard

Postby keith » Sat 23 Oct, 2004 4:48 pm

I haven't had to pay to get rid of my adware, but i don't think its getting rid of everything like it should...

i also got spybot and it seems to work good

keith
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
KEITH
keith
gold member
gold member

Postby izanbardprince » Sun 02 Jan, 2005 9:24 pm

Microsoft has acquired Giant Company, and with it they got Giant Antispyware, which will now be an in-house Microsoft anti spyware program, which will probably be a component of Longhorn and an optional free add on for users of Windows XP. 8-)
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)
izanbardprince
Apple basher
Apple basher

Postby Mandrake » Sun 02 Jan, 2005 11:34 pm

Good stuff. :)
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)
Core i7 920 | ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 | 3TB+ HDD | 12GB Corsair DDR3 | Radeon 4890 Xfire | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Logitech Z-5500 Speakers | Dell 3008WFP | Seven RC1
Mandrake

Postby Al » Mon 03 Jan, 2005 12:25 am

Not good, not good for Adaware and Spybot S&D
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041108 Firefox/1.0
User of Firefox :ff: 3.0 on Windows XP
Al
diamond member
diamond member

PreviousNext

Return to Windows (and Microsoft talk)