help me restore my netscape 7.2

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

help me restore my netscape 7.2

Postby tecla9 » Sat 18 Oct, 2008 12:30 am

my hard drive crashed but fortunately i had backed it up a week before it did.

i think i had been saving the correct file i needed to restore my ns7.2 because the last time my pc died, i had land line help from the tech support and i was advised to back up this file every now and then. it has an extension ".slt"

i use ns7.2 for my browser, creating my website, and mail client. i was advised by a few forums to download firefox and thunderbird. so i did and i can't seem to get any support and out of frustration they are now both unistalled. besides i just don't want to learn another browser.

i have bookmarks, website stuff, and emails that i really need to recover. and i think that ns7.2 will be very good enough for me.

i'm very illiterate when it comes to troubleshooting software. that is why i've always called the land line help. this is the sixth forum that i've registered with and i hope i can get help.

my os is winxp sp3.

[Thread moved to proper Netscape\Mozilla Forum. profman, 10/19/2008]
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
tecla9

Postby PaulD » Sat 18 Oct, 2008 2:59 am

Hello, tecla9. Welcome to SillyDog.

Yes, the xxxxxxxx.slt file is the correct one. And if it is complete I think that you will be recoverable.

There may be more than one way to do this. Below is the way that I would do it.
Be sure to keep your backup copy intact/uncorrupted, in case a re-do is needed.
For ease of following these directions you may wish to print them out, although it is perfectly feasible to have them open in IE as you work. There is no conflict between IE and Netscape, so they may be in use simultaneously.

0. Since you already know where the SLT file is located, I don't need to step you through that sequence. (But for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread, see the documentation here, specifically paragraphs 1 and 3.1. (Note that although the subject is SeaMonkey, that Netscape 7.x is included.))

For documentation below, I will use tecla9 as your Windows logon ID. You will need to substitute what your real ID is.

1. Go ahead and create a new Netscape Profile.
- Start > All Programs > Netscape 7.2 > Profile Manager > Create Profile > follow directions.
- You may accept the name 'default' or 'Default User' (whatever it gives you).
- Close Netscape.

2. In Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer), navigate to the folder
- C:\Documents and Settings\tecla9\Application Data\Mozilla
In this folder are two entities that are of interest.
- One is the file registry.dat. More on this in step 4, below.
- The other is the sub-sub-sub-folder Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt, where xxxxxxxx is a random 8-character string.
Carefully write down this 8-character string. You will need it in step 4.

3. Copy in to the default folder your backed-up/archived SLT folder.
You will now have two SLT folders within 'default': the one that you created in step 1, the other the one that you just copied in.

4. In Explorer, back up to the 'Mozilla' folder level.
You will now make a change to the file registry.dat. This file contains, among other things, the name of the SLT folder that is of focus.

Right-click on registry.dat, and 'Open With' Notepad.

It is necessary to change the existing (new) SLT name to the valid (old) SLT name.
You may either do a horizontal scroll until you see the 8-character-string.slt that you wrote down in step 2, or do an "Edit > Replace". Either way, carefully change the file-name from whatever-it-is-from-step-2 to the name of the valid SLT that you copied in, in step 3.

Now, in Notepad, File > Save; and then Exit.

5. Bring up Netscape again. You should now be back to an operational system. Note, however, that if there were configuration changes introduced by the fact of a new hard drive, that there is a possibility that some parallel changes will need to be made within Netscape. (I don't know of any, but I just toss in the caution to protect myself!)

The one thing that you may need to do is to re-establish Netscape as your default Browser and Mail clients. Remember also to review the settings in 'Set Program Access and Defaults'.

6. If everything is satisfactory, and when your heart has settled down, you may (in Explorer) go back and Delete the (step 2) SLT file that now is of no use. Make sure that you delete the correct one - or you get to start all over again!
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3
PaulD
diamond member
diamond member

you are the man PaulD

Postby tecla9 » Sat 18 Oct, 2008 10:07 am

thank you for the warm welcome to start with.

all looks like the way i had it. thank you. you're God sent.

the only problem now is that either ns7.2 or the mail clien will connect to the internet. i use cincinnati bell's DSL. (it is www.fuse.net)

HELP PLEASE!!!
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0)
Last edited by tecla9 on Sat 18 Oct, 2008 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
tecla9

Postby PaulD » Sat 18 Oct, 2008 2:01 pm

Good! I'm glad that your Netscape is back to normal. Or is it?

You wrote:
"the only problem now is that either ns7.2 or the mail clien will connect to the internet."

Since you are able to post here, it is apparent that IE works (unless you are on another computer). Therefore I understand that your problem is that Netscape cannot get online contact.
You don't happen to have 'Work Offline' checked, do you?

And you added:
"i use cincinnati bell's DSL. (it is www.fuse.net)"
This I find a bit confusing. Looking at fuse.net, I see that Fuse is their dial-up service, whereas ZoomTown is their DSL. However, it appears that their ISP name is fuse.

If you are on dial-up, you must have redefined your dial-up, or you wouldn't be online at all.
And if you are on DSL, the connection presumably has been defined in the DSL modem.
In either case, I don't see why Netscape doesn't work when IE does work.
I am unable to find on the site any documentation of what their server definitions are.

Do you get an error message? Or what happens?

You might try a test ---
Create a new Profile {Profile Manager > Create Profile (call it Test, if you like)}. See if you can browse. Switch over to the Mail function and define your mail servers. See if Mail works. If these work on Test, then we'll go down that road.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3
PaulD
diamond member
diamond member

no luck

Postby tecla9 » Sun 19 Oct, 2008 9:04 pm

fuse is the same as zoomtown. and i'm using their zoomtown's DSL.

my IE works well.

i tried adding a test profile but still won't connect. i get an ALERT saying "home.netscape.com could not be found. please check the name and try again." the same alert as when i try it with my old profile that i want to use. i even tried google.com and it says the same alert but with google.com instead of home.nescape.com.

help me out pauld!!! PLEASE!!!
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0)
Last edited by tecla9 on Sun 19 Oct, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tecla9

Postby Fulvio » Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:16 am

ok. You created a new profile, but are you using it? If you have, indeed, created a new profile, you should get the profile manager after clicking on your shortcut, and two choices. One is "default", 6the other whatever name you gave the Test profile. You select that one the home.netscape.com website has been replaced by http://netscape.aol.com/ But there is no problem, because you type the old, and the new comes out.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b2pre) Gecko/20081015 SeaMonkey/2.0a2pre
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.29, FF32.0.2, TB32, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 37
Fulvio

Postby tecla9 » Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:30 pm

it won't connect to any website at all. like i said i tried opening google and it won't open it either.
tecla9

Postby PaulD » Mon 20 Oct, 2008 1:10 pm

As an aside, what Fulvio reports is true - the address http://home.netscape.com/ is no longer valid; however it will automatically redirect to http://netscape.aol.com/ . But this is a distraction.

Your problem is that your Netscape is for some reason not getting access to your internet connection, although IE is working fine. I'm at a loss here, so I'll ask some questions.

Your very first post said:
"my hard drive crashed but fortunately i had backed it up a week before it did."
- Do I understand correctly that this was the only disk drive, not a second one?
- Is this a desktop/tower system, or a laptop/notebook?
- Is the backup on a CD or DVD, or on some other medium?
- How was the backup made - what program or procedure?
- Who did the drive replacement work - you, or a repair shop?
- How was your system rebuilt - by completely reinstalling all software from original media, or by copying back from the backup that you had?
--- If by using the backup, what program or procedure was used for the copyback?
- Is this computer the only one connected to the internet; or is there a network involved, with other computers also connected?

One thing to check, although I don't think that this is the problem -
Bring up Netscape. Edit > Preferences > (click on the little right-pointing arrowhead at the left of) Advanced > Proxies. Ensure that 'Direct connection to the Internet' is selected.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gecko/20080829 Firefox/2.0.0.17
PaulD
diamond member
diamond member

Postby tecla9 » Mon 20 Oct, 2008 3:57 pm

i have a new HD now. old is gone. not gone but stored in the closet.

i have a desk top tower VAIO hard wired to the DSL modem.

back up is on an Ex HD and made by just manually copying individual files.

i replaced the HD on my own.

restored my pc using VAIO total recovery disk and installed what all it came with. i downloaded ns7.2 fresh from a site.

i copied the old xxxxxxxx.slt and pasted it how you instructed me.

this pc is hard wired directly to the modem and i also have a laptop connected via wireless of the same modem.

i checked the proxies and it's bullited but the spaces below are blank and greyed.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Zune 3.0)
tecla9

Postby PaulD » Mon 20 Oct, 2008 5:43 pm

I'm feeling 'greyed out' too. What is puzzling is that IE works, and NS doesn't.

Are you logged on to your computer as a user with Administrative authority?
Before your drive failed, had you had any anomalies at all with Netscape?
The Netscape download that I have on file is: NSSetup-Full.exe at 24,784KB. Is yours the same?

There are only two suggestions that I have at the moment:
1) Temporarily disable / turn-off any anti-virus program that you have, including the Windows Firewall; test. And,
2) Do an Uninstall of Netscape, Restart, and then a new Install. During the Uninstall you are given the choice to Delete or Not Delete the user files. These are your data files, and you don't want to delete them.

I appreciate that you are keep us updated on your (attempted!) progress.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gecko/20080829 Firefox/2.0.0.17
PaulD
diamond member
diamond member

Postby tecla9 » Mon 20 Oct, 2008 7:01 pm

WORKS NOW!!!

i use notron internet security and as soon as i disabled it, it opened up the page. also emails works now. i'm gonna try to work on my website tonight and hope it works also.

i checked my windows firewall and it's disabled. shouldn't it be?

how do i protect myself now that i have to have norton internet security off when i'm using my ns7.2?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
tecla9

Postby tecla9 » Mon 20 Oct, 2008 7:22 pm

oh and which xxxxxxxx.slt do i keep backed up now?
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Zune 3.0)
tecla9

Postby PaulD » Mon 20 Oct, 2008 9:41 pm

Wonderful!!!

On Norton - Turn it on again, then go through the various settings and adjustments that are available. I think that somewhere you can tell it to "Allow" Netscape to function. (I don't use it, but I have a faint recollection of having somewhere read that there is such a capability.)

On the Windows firewall - If you are satisfied that your DSL modem is adequately performing this protection, then yes, you may leave off the Windows layer; it is redundant code. Conversely, if you have defined a dial-up connection for back-up use, then the Firewall should be enabled for that connection.

Now, as to the clean up of left-overs from testing -
1. The .SLT to back up is the one that you've been using all along: the one that you copied-in from your backup.
2. I suggest that you not do any deletions right now. Let the system hum for a few days or a week. The reason? After several days of non-use it will be readily apparent as to which Profile and which SLT files have not had any activity (the files' 'Date Modified' in Explorer will not have changed). This reduces the probability that you will inadvertently purge the operational/good material.
3. When you are ready to clean out the trash:
- with Netscape closed, do [sdp=93984]step 6[/sdp]
- If you have a 'Test' profile, created in the [sdp=93998]last paragraph[/sdp]:
-- Open Netscape, click on Manage Profiles, then select the 'Test' item, and Delete Profile.

Please post back after you've caught up with your activities and clean-ups. I'd like to understand better what your web-site maintenance involves. Candidly, I want to recommend that you migrate to more-current products if possible, both for security and for functionality.
PaulD
diamond member
diamond member

Postby tecla9 » Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:31 pm

pauld you the man.

i can upload and maintain my website. it's a very simple one. check it out www.FriarTuck.ws

onther thing. i can't play my playlist in my myspace www.myspace.com/ffriarttuck using ns7.2 but yes on IE.

critisize all you want. i won't mind at all.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
Last edited by tecla9 on Tue 21 Oct, 2008 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
tecla9

Postby PaulD » Tue 21 Oct, 2008 12:28 pm

I have no problem playing your 3 items in either Firefox or Netscape. Is your anti-virus on or off when you have this problem? I do notice that it takes over 30 seconds of loading (1.5M DSL) before the selection starts playing.
PaulD
diamond member
diamond member

Next

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape