iPhone 4S announced

For all tech/computer related or even internet related discussions not covered in other sections. Also iPad, iPhone, iPod, Surface and multimedia discussions.

iPhone 4S announced

Postby Antony » Tue 04 Oct, 2011 8:02 pm

Apple announced iPhone 4S, with new features including Apple’s dual-core A5 chip for blazing fast performance and stunning graphics; an all new 8MP camera with advanced optics; full 1080p HD resolution video recording; and Siri, an intelligent assistant that helps you get things done just by asking. With the launch of iPhone 4S also comes the launch of iOS 5, the world’s most advanced mobile operating system with over 200 new features; and iCloud, a breakthrough set of free cloud services that work with iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or PC to automatically and wirelessly store users' content in iCloud and push it to all users' devices.

Although iPhone 4S shares the same shape as iPhone 4, key new features of iPhone 4S are:
  • Dual Core A5 CPU (up to 2 times faster than iPhone 4)
  • Dual Core graphics CPU (up to 7 times faster than iPhone 4)
  • improved antenna system, two built-in antennas. Intelligently switch between two antennas to transmit and receive for even better call quality.
  • faster data transfer rate: 14.4 Mbps downlink (HSDPA, theoretical maximum) compared to 7.2 Mbps on iPhone 4.
  • world phone: built-in both GSM and CDMA support.
  • new iOS 5 and iCloud
  • 8-megapixel (3264x2448, 60% more pixels than iPhone 4 camera) with new optics for sharper photos. Larger aperture at f/2.4 for even better low light shooting.
  • 1080p HD at up to 30 fps with video stabilisation for smoother videos.
  • power efficient, up to 14 hours talk time on 2G network (and up to8 hours talk time on 3G network), 40 hours of music playing, 10 hours of video playing, 9 hours of Wi-Fi browsing and 6 hours of 3G browsing.
  • iOS 5, over 200 new features including iMessage, Notificaiton Centre, Twitter Integration, Reminders and more.
  • iCloud, free!
  • AirPlay mirroring allowing showing iPhone 4S screen on an HDTV through an Apple TV.
  • Siri, an intelligent assistant that allows users to talk to the iPhone 4GS to get things done.

iPhone 4S also introduces Siri, an intelligent assistant that helps you get things done just by asking. Siri understands context allowing you to speak naturally when you ask it questions, for example, if you ask “Will I need an umbrella this weekend?” it understands you are looking for a weather forecast. Siri is also smart about using the personal information you allow it to access, for example, if you tell Siri “Remind me to call Mom when I get home” it can find “Mom” in your address book, or ask Siri “What’s the traffic like around here?” and it can figure out where “here” is based on your current location. Siri helps you make calls, send text messages or email, schedule meetings and reminders, make notes, search the Internet, find local businesses, get directions and more. You can also get answers, find facts and even perform complex calculations just by asking.

Pricing & Availability
iPhone 4S comes in either black or white and will be available in the US for a suggested retail price of $199 (US) for the 16GB model and $299 (US) for the 32GB model and $399 (US) for the new 64GB model with a contract. iPhone 4S will be available in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the UK on Friday, October 14 and customers can pre-order their iPhone 4S beginning Friday, October 7. Siri will be available in beta on iPhone 4S in English (localized for US, UK and Australia), French and German. iOS 5 software will be available on October 12 as a free software update via iTunes 10.5 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch customers.

iPhone 4S will roll out worldwide to 22 more countries by the end of October including Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

For more detail about the revolutionary iPhone 4S, visit apple.com/iphone.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Re: iPhone 4S announced

Postby Antony » Sun 16 Oct, 2011 8:30 pm

Amazing phone. It is so far the best iPhone I've ever had.

The best part, Siri (beta) understands my broken English. I guess I couldn't ask for more.

This reminds me that Don was modifying his BMW into a powerful BMW-KITT (like the KITT from Knight Rider) with great speech recognising, and computer controlled, perhaps even self-driving ability.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.23) Gecko/20110920 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.23
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Re: iPhone 4S announced

Postby Antony » Mon 17 Oct, 2011 9:32 am

Apple today announced that Apple has sold over four million iPhone 4S during the first weekend since its launch on 14th October. iPhone 4S is currently available in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the UK.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.23) Gecko/20110920 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.23
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Return to General Computing, Gadgets and Tech