Mail driving me mad

Apple products and Mac operating systems. Including discussions on Virtual PC for Mac, Parallels Desktop for Mac, all Apple hardware and everything relating to Apple and Mac!
(MacCentre701)

Mail driving me mad

Postby allen-uk » Wed 05 Oct, 2011 3:04 pm

Hello.

Setting up a new machine (Macbook) with existing email addresses, and keep getting the error message "Enter password for account". (Running OS 10.6)

Although I can get one email address running (?) the other addresses, which worked fine on the old machine (disconnected from the web) refuse to function.

I just keep getting that terminally annoying "Enter password for account".

Checked passwords, of course, and all the other obvious things like ports, deleted keychains, started again, etc. Had a Google, and seems LOADS of other people have had the same problem, but no definitive solution - a few ideas, none of which work for me.

Any ideas of more obvious things that I'm missing? Is there some hidden file down in the library that I should be deleting?

Help!

Allen.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Safari/531.21.10
allen-uk

Re: Mail driving me mad

Postby Antony » Wed 05 Oct, 2011 7:57 pm

If you have MobileMe account, you might want to sync the mail settings from another Mac to the new one. Migration Assistant can also do the task.

Some email servers would only allow one connection at a time (for the same account). You might want to check if that was the case.

Otherwise, you can go through Mail.app's account settings pages, and make sure all setting are the same.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Re: Mail driving me mad

Postby allen-uk » Thu 06 Oct, 2011 10:10 am

Antony:

Thanks for the advice, as usual. But no, I don't mobile.me (avoid such modern things), and all the obvious faults were okayed.

Turned out to be Virgin. We deleted the offending @ntlworld.com addresses and tried to reinstate similar ones, but Virgin would ONLY let us have new email names if they were XXX@virginmedia.com! (You might recall that ntl was sold to Virgin some years back).

Anyway, once we'd input the xxxx@virgin.media com names, they popped straight up as valid (although they wouldn't allow POP, only IMAP versions), and now all working well, but we've got to go and tell friends/relations of the new addresses. Never mind.

Allen.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Safari/531.21.10
allen-uk

Return to Mac OS and Apple