Mobile Device Support and Control Panel

Apple products and Mac operating systems. Including discussions on Virtual PC for Mac, Parallels Desktop for Mac, all Apple hardware and everything relating to Apple and Mac!
(MacCentre701)

Mobile Device Support and Control Panel

Postby Fulvio » Fri 28 Oct, 2011 12:41 pm

Today, I got Quicktime 7.7.1, and installed it. As usual, as it is with any Apple product it was a dreadfully slow operation. At the same time, I was presented with a Mobile Device Control Panel (I may not have the correct name, but any user would know about it) installation. I unchecked it, and after Quicktime was installed the same thing came back, checked again.
What is it for? I have had two different version of Mobile Device Support installed, who knows when. The oldest one could not be Removed, but, I, just found out that it could be removed, if I went to Change, and then Remove.
I hate to clutter my computer with stuff that I may never use, and, even more to have more than one version of what is, apparently, the same thing. Is this Mobile Device thing related to iPod?
Why two or three versions of what appears to be the same thing?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20110928 Firefox/7.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.4.1
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.26.1, FF30, TB24.6, IE8.0, , Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, Win 8.1, IE11.
Fulvio

Re: Mobile Device Support and Control Panel

Postby Antony » Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:45 pm

Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) is for iTunes to recognise iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in iTunes on Windows.

If you really want, you might want to check out this page on removing then reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime etc.

However, I have a sense that something is not working exactly correct on your installation and Windows, and you might have some multiple installations. I don't think I know how to fix it.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.23) Gecko/20110920 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.23
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Re: Mobile Device Support and Control Panel

Postby Fulvio » Mon 31 Oct, 2011 12:00 pm

I am confused by the plethora of Apple items in my add/remove. Beside iTunes, my add/remove has an tion Support, a Software Updater, a MobileMe Control Panel, and a Mobile Device Support, which weigh in at 281.1 MB.
I had two Mobile Device Support items, and I was, finally, able to remove one. The existing one says that it is used rarely, but I have no recollection when. As I had stated in my original post, the removed item could not be uninstalled the easy way. The installations of iTunes take an inordinate amount of time, but they work fine, and there is no duplication, but the Mobile Support Device is pretty cranky. Yes, I have an iPod, which I have not used in a couple of years, and the mentioned item has to do with iPod.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20110928 Firefox/7.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.4.1
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.26.1, FF30, TB24.6, IE8.0, , Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, Win 8.1, IE11.
Fulvio

Return to Mac OS and Apple