Modern Modoki 2 for Netscape 8.1

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Modern Modoki 2 for Netscape 8.1

Postby Joji » Thu 26 Jan, 2006 7:39 pm

Modern Modoki 2.00 for Netscape Browser 8.1 was released.
You can install (or downlaod) from lowandsh's site.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

If you have comments around Modern Modoki 1.x for Netscape 8.0.x, please post on the other thread in this forum. Thank you.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; ja; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5
It is spelled J-O-J-I, but pronounced GEORGE.
Joji

Postby Antony » Thu 26 Jan, 2006 11:26 pm

Thanks Joji for the update. :-)

I've updated Netscape 8 Themes directory.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/417.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/417.8
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Re: Modern Modoki 2 for Netscape 8.1

Postby macallan1824 » Fri 27 Jan, 2006 5:42 am

Joji wrote:Any feedback will be appreciated.

Just to say all installed fine and it's working happily.....

Although items in the Toolbar Bookmarks seem a bit further apart than before, I had to trim 1 off to get them to fit without the overflow widget.

.....the couple of comments left from 1.19 are now fixed:-
  1. On-Hover behaviour for the Windows Min, Max/Restore and Close icons works a treat
  2. The JavaScript Console now has a full set of Icons.
Good work, promptly delivered.... thanks.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20060111 Netscape/8.1
macallan1824

Re: Modern Modoki 2 for Netscape 8.1

Postby macallan1824 » Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:13 pm

Joji wrote:Any feedback will be appreciated.

Some further feedback:-
  1. There seems to be a layout problem with the 'Site Controls' dropdown from the rightmost tab if the Sidebar is open. If the sidebar is closed - all is OK. It seems to start with 6 tabs and just get worse with more tabs......
    .....With the sidebar closed MM places the left edge of the 'Site Controls' menu well before the left edge of the tab so that the menu fits on the screen......
    ......However, with the sidebar open, MM aligns the left edge of 'Site Controls' with the left edge of the tab. This means it is very close to the right edge of the NS8 Window, and the 'Site Controls' menu falls off the side. If NS8 is maximised, it falls off the edge of the screen.
  2. With the sidebar open, the Windows Min, Max, Close Titlebar widgets disappear if NS8 is windowed and the window width approaches the width of the sidebar.
  3. The scrollbars on the RSS list dropdown menu from the RSS widget in the location field don't function when the list is off the bottom of the screen. Try New Scientist to test this, they have 32 RSS feeds....
  4. The Bookmark Toolbar Items Widget is not displayed in the Personal in 'Customise Toolbar' mode - if the window width is a bit less than the the length (icons and text) of the bookmarks it contains. See item 10 here for some screen shots. These are Fusion, but it also occurs with MM 2.0.
After some roadtesting a couple of suggestions.....
  • There seem a lot of space between the new Multibar Tray Selection widget and the 'right arrow' for moving to the next tray.
  • When you view an https site, there is no on-hover for the 'lock' icon in either the title bar or the statusbar. i.e. no visual indicatation that clicking the lock will show the Security Grade in use. An On-Hover effect anywhere in the location/statusbar field would work if there is no on-hover control for the icon itself.
Overall it's certainly a clean and well polished theme that works very well with 8.1, good work....
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20060111 Netscape/8.1
macallan1824

Postby Fulvio » Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:49 pm

I got modoki as soon as I could. A bit too gray, matching the weather outside, but with fewer problems than the pregiven. I see eleven folders in my Personal bookmarks toolbar, with no way to see the rest. I got two more when I "lost" the Webmail button (now in Local).
If I can lose the Add Bookmark without using too much violence I would be delighted.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) Netscape/8.1
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Postby macallan1824 » Sat 28 Jan, 2006 3:27 pm

Fulvio wrote: I see eleven folders in my Personal bookmarks toolbar, with no way to see the rest.

Don't you have the double chevrons >> on the right of the toolbar with the overflow...?
If you have them, then click and NS8 will display the 'missing' stuff, bookmarks, folder, etc.

Although I have noticed that in MM 2.0 you can get a situation when NS8 is in a window, where the overflow widget is missing, but slightly widen the window and it appears.

I'll have to try some other themes to see where this problem lies.
macallan1824

Postby macallan1824 » Wed 22 Feb, 2006 6:51 am

Fulvio wrote: I see eleven folders in my Personal bookmarks toolbar, with no way to see the rest.

I've managed to replicate these symptoms, see this pic. This is with a maximised 8.1 window at 1024x768.

This pic of Aluminium Alloy shows the folders & bookmarks that should have caused an overflow widget in the MM pic.

It only seeem to happen when the last displayed entry 'just' seems to fit in, adjust the length of the last displayed entry and you can get the overflow widget to appear. If I lengthened the final 't' entry to 'tra' the widget appears.

PS. What happens to the image upload control that was here recently...?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20060111 Netscape/8.1
macallan1824

Modern Modoki Ver 2.01

Postby macallan1824 » Fri 24 Feb, 2006 7:34 pm

Modern Modoki Ver 2.01 is now available from the Netscape Theme Park.

From a quick spin, some of the changes are:-
  • Improved hover for RSS 'pills'
  • Hover for the close widget in a tab
  • new 'tighter' graphics for the multibar tray selection
  • a new 'Tabs list' widget on the right of the tab bar, replacing the chevrons.
  • fixed the bug where the overflow chevrons for the toolbar bookmarks could go missing with a miximised window, see previous post.
    Note: it still seems to occur in a 'restored' window.
These all lend more polish to an excellent theme.....

on the feedback front:-
  1. The AIM sidebar seems to have lost its layout. You have to widen the sidebar considerably to get to the signon button.
  2. the dropdown marker on toolbar bookmark folders, makes then quite wide, so you can't fit as many as with the 8.0.4 MM.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20060111 Netscape/8.1
macallan1824

Modern Modoki

Postby richard mitnick » Sun 26 Feb, 2006 3:14 pm

I have used this theme since its inception. But I really could lose that throbber, which takes the place of what all other programs use as a place to close the software. I know I can right click, but I should not need to right click.

I would love to see the throbber on a toolbar.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) Netscape/8.1
richard mitnick
diamond member
diamond member

Re: Modern Modoki Ver 2.01

Postby Joji » Sun 26 Feb, 2006 7:40 pm

macallan1824 wrote:Modern Modoki Ver 2.01 is now available from the Netscape Theme Park.

Please note that ver 2.01 is not officially released on the lowandsh's site.
The file on the Netscape site is a preview version which I sent Netscape to get feedbacks from Netscape QA team.
The only reply was uploading the preview file on their server. :(

Anyway, 2.01 will be released soon.
It may be the same as Theme Park's one, but a few more fix might be added.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; ja; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1
Joji

Postby macallan1824 » Mon 27 Feb, 2006 5:27 am

Joji wrote:The file on the Netscape site is a preview version which I sent Netscape to get feedbacks from Netscape QA team.
The only reply was uploading the preview file on their server.

Thanks for clearing that up.... Maybe they were just a bit too keen to put up the first 8.1 theme in the Park.....

Some further feedback on this 'preview' release,:-
  • The new multibar tray selection widgets don't line up fully. The Tray Name Dropdown is lower than the right arrow.
  • The text colour of the new Tabs List widget is hard to read unless you hover over it., especially on a CRT display. With the better contrast ratio of a TFT display on a laptop, it's a bit easier.
  • The 'Show' menu in Customise Toolbars, where you select the Icon/text combinations, has two background colours, white & light Gray. With the dark gray highlight, its a bit confusing.
I've fixed my earlier comment over the dropdown markers for folders in the bookmark toolbar, by adapting some userChrome code from Sailfish for Sky Pilot. However, MM doesn't seem to have a unique identifier defined, so I had to make the chrome fix apply to all themes, not specifically to MM.

Sailfish implemented a very useful unique naming solution for his themes a while back, full details in this post on Mozillazine.org. Now you can make userChrome code specific to just the named theme, rather than having it apply to them all.

This would be a very useful addition to MM.
macallan1824

AIM Sidebar missing formatting in 2.01

Postby macallan1824 » Tue 28 Feb, 2006 8:10 am

One other comment re 2.01:-
  • the AIM Sidebar seems to have lost its formatting, you really have to widen the sidebar to get to the signon button.
macallan1824

Postby macallan1824 » Wed 01 Mar, 2006 8:36 am

Joji wrote:Anyway, 2.01 will be released soon.
It may be the same as Theme Park's one, but a few more fix might be added.

I see 2.02 is out, and it has further polish over the 2.01 release:-
  • The AIM Sidebar is fixed
  • The Multibar Tray selection widgets line up just fine
  • The Customise toolbar 'Show' menu now has just 2 colours
  • The 'Tabs List' text is easier to read (and now seems to be 'List Tab')
Also thanks for adding the code to allow MM to be uniquely addressed from userChrome. I've added my first theme="MDK" entry to remove the dropdown marker from toolbar folders just for MM.......
macallan1824

Postby Joji » Wed 01 Mar, 2006 10:19 am

macallan1824 wrote:I see 2.02 is out, and it has further polish over the 2.01 release:-
  • The AIM Sidebar is fixed
  • The Multibar Tray selection widgets line up just fine
  • The Customise toolbar 'Show' menu now has just 2 colours
  • The 'Tabs List' text is easier to read (and now seems to be 'List Tab')

Yes, lowandsh released the new version as 2.02 to avoid confusion.
Although the changelog is under construction, macallan1824 covers all changes from 2.01 on the Netscape Theme Park.

macallan1824 wrote:Also thanks for adding the code to allow MM to be uniquely addressed from userChrome. I've added my first theme="MDK" entry to remove the dropdown marker from toolbar folders just for MM.......

You are welcome. Enjoy!
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20060111 Netscape/8.1
Joji

Re: Modern Modoki

Postby Joji » Wed 01 Mar, 2006 10:32 am

richard mitnick wrote:I have used this theme since its inception. But I really could lose that throbber, which takes the place of what all other programs use as a place to close the software. I know I can right click, but I should not need to right click.

I would love to see the throbber on a toolbar.

So you want Windows-native title bar version of Modern Modoki 2, just like Modern Modoki (win) for Netscape 8.0x?

Or all you want is the throbber on a toolbar?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20060111 Netscape/8.1
Joji

Next

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape