Mozilla to overhaul Firefox's default home and tab pages

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Mozilla to overhaul Firefox's default home and tab pages

Postby James » Sat 28 Jan, 2012 1:57 pm

Despite Mozilla kicking its release schedule into overdrive, not all parts of Firefox have gotten the tender love and care they truly deserve. Take for example, the browser's default homepage, which hasn't evolved much since its humble beginnings nearly a decade ago.

article found here: http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/28/mozi ... tab-pages/
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Re: Mozilla to overhaul Firefox's default home and tab pages

Postby Antony » Sat 28 Jan, 2012 6:55 pm

James wrote:Take for example, the browser's default homepage, which hasn't evolved much since its humble beginnings nearly a decade ago.
I think it was fine this way.

Personally, I believe the good old web portal works well. Start with a web page like Yahoo!, although most people don't bother reading it, but if there's a headline interests the user, he or she will read the article. Okay, I am old fashioned.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; en-US; rv:1.9.2.25) Gecko/20111212 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.25
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Sat 28 Jan, 2012 7:23 pm

I'm pretty much the same, Antony. I still go to Yahoo as my start page... read a few headlines to see if there is anything of interest (I have Yahoo personalized) and from there I branch out to other sites I want to visit. And yes... I ALWAYS start with Yahoo. Years ago... when Netscape was still around, I always started with the Netscape home page. I do NOT like AOL so even though it has sort of taken over for Netscape, I refuse to look at it. To me it looks like the trash magazines that you see at the checkout counters in food stores with news of Kim Kardashian and Lindsay Lohan and such about whom I couldn't care less.

Now... if Mozilla were to develop even a halfway decent portal site, I might be tempted to make it my start page. We'll see what they come up with.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Mon 30 Jan, 2012 1:03 pm

Think about it, the old Netscape's portal was nice, just the contents were a bit American.

These days, after launching the browser, I would check out News.com.au or Yahoo7.com.au for the headlines. I am not very into entertainment news, but if I spotted Michael Jackson or Desperate Housewives related news, I just have to read them.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; en-US; rv:1.9.2.25) Gecko/20111212 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.25
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape