MS sued over SNEAKY tactics used for Win10 update

Microsoft Windows operating system, and software for Windows platform, including QuickTime Player and iTunes for Windows. We also discuss topics about Microsoft Corp.

MS sued over SNEAKY tactics used for Win10 update

Postby Antony » Tue 28 Jun, 2016 9:32 am

The tactics used by Microsoft to get PC users to install its latest Windows operating system has angered countless customers.
Even prominent Microsoft blogger Paul Thurrott slammed the feature writing: “The violation of trust here is almost indescribable.”
The editor of PCWorld, Brad Chacos, called it “deceptive” and “a nasty trick” after his wife unwittingly clicked the “X” and later found her machine was no longer running Windows 7, which she had wanted to keep.
“Deploying these dirty tricks only frustrates long-time Windows users who have very valid reasons to stick with operating systems they already know and love,” he wrote.

Microsoft agreed to drop an appeal and agreed to pay Californian woman Teri Goldstein $US10,000.

Woman successfully sued Microsoft over sneaky tactics used for Windows 10 update (news.com.au, 28 June 2016)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:47.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/47.0
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Re: MS sued over SNEAKY tactics used for Win10 update

Postby Edward » Sun 29 Jan, 2017 3:21 pm

I'm thisclose to giving up on Windows entirely and use Linux exclusively at home. I can't even get Windows Update to run on Windows 7 on this computer. I never upgraded Windows 7 to 10 and I'm glad I didn't.

When the hard drive in my other computer was failing, the image to restore Windows Vista (no longer supported by Microsoft) was installed on the D drive (partition) on the failing hard drive, so that one is a Linux-only computer now with the new hard drive.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Linux x86_64; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/51.0
Edward

SillyDog701 Moderator
Fedora - SeaMonkey - Claws Mail
Edward

Return to Windows (and Microsoft talk)