Navigator useable?

Discussion and support forum for Netscape Communicator 4.xx and Navigator 3.xx or even earlier versions only. (Communicator - Browser Archive)

Navigator useable?

Postby jjssparkle » Thu 18 Jun, 2009 6:15 am

I'm an old Netscape user back from the days when you actually had to BUY it - stopped using it completely about 4 years ago with the onslaught of other browsers that surpassed Netscape Communicator in page rendering primarily. There are features I used to really enjoy that I know we'll never see again due to the obvious demise; but it's still available - I see folks still using it for mail/news which is cool, but will the old Navigator (4.8) open any pages at all?
I ask this because every now and then on older computers I used to get nostalgic for older softwares but am trying to keep this one clean of un-used stuff - so, just anyone that's using Communicator at all for anything - would appreciate you letting me know.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; Avant Browser; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
jjssparkle

Postby Don_HH2K » Thu 18 Jun, 2009 6:37 am

I have 4.8 loaded on my old 83MHz Pentium, where nothing else will really run. 4.8's HTML layout support isn't that bad, but where it really falls short is with CSS. Some sites now use CSS extensively to position things on the page, so seeing things like illegible overlapping text is pretty common.

The same goes for JavaScript - some JS-heavy sites will completely crash the browser. What's interesting is that netscape.com was one such site (the last time I tried it - this was maybe a year ago), so if I did a fresh install with the default [tt]home.netscape.com[/tt] start page, I'd have to make sure to click the Stop button fast or have the browser crash after opening it.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1 x64; en-US; rv:1.9.2a1pre) Gecko/20090603 Minefield/3.6a1pre (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Laptop: HP Compaq nx6325 - Turion 64 X2 @ 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100GB HD, ATI Radeon X300, 15" LCD, Seven Pro
Handheld: Palm Treo 650 - Intel PXA270 @ 312MHz, 10MB RAM, 32MB flash, 2.7" LCD, Palm OS 5.4
Don_HH2K

Re: Navigator useable?

Postby saint satin stain » Sat 28 Aug, 2010 1:07 pm

I too am nostalgic for the old days. Alas and alack, they are gone. That's why I chose SeaMonkey, with the Classic Default theme. Formerly used Firefox and Thunderbird, I decided to switch to SeaMonkey permanently for these reasons: SeaMonkey uses less memory than the dynamic duo of Thunderbird and Firefox; browser, email and newsgroups, address book, composer, and IRC chat are conveniently in one application; it has some features built in that you only get with extensions in Firefox and Thunderbird; from my experience it is more secure than Firefox and Thunderbird. What is more subjectively important it has the old Navigator theme and Firefox's latest rendition does not yet.

Thought, if the old Navigator code is open source, then someone could develop it for XP and up.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.11) Gecko/20100701 SeaMonkey/2.0.6
saint satin stain
Oscar Wilde wrote:All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
saint satin stain

Postby James » Sat 28 Aug, 2010 6:27 pm

No nostalgia for me. I move on as things advance. Currently I'm using Chrome and love its clean lines and speed. As for security, according to PCWorld there is no more secure browser currently than Chrome with Firefox a close second. They've run a number of tests and Chrome comes out on top.

I would agree that if you're stuck on an older view of things (i.e. a suite similar to Netscape Navigator) then SeaMonkey is your best bet. :)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/533.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/5.0.375.127 Safari/533.4
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby saint satin stain » Thu 02 Sep, 2010 11:39 pm

Though SeaMonkey my default, I also use Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, K-Meleon, and Firefox. I may add Lunarscape browser. I have considered replacing Chrome with SRWare Iron. I may. Iron is even more secure; it does not phone home to Google or have any other Google crap. I favor browsers with the Gecko engine.

I use multiple browsers that support multiple home pages, save one, because I use the internet as my office. My word processor has buttons and links which open local, network, and internet apps and sites (via browsers). Each browser has home pages of my interests and research. It's the same with my 14 emails, all save one download to SeaMonkey. I get Hotmail in Windows Live Mail. Most functions in my life are automatic so I have time with kin, kith, and friends or just sitting watching fireflies and listening to crickets and cicadas.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.11) Gecko/20100701 SeaMonkey/2.0.6
saint satin stain
Oscar Wilde wrote:All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
saint satin stain

Return to Communicator