Netscape 7.1 User Reports/Feedbacks

This section is for storing good and useful posts for referencing. This section is read only, if you have any questions, please ask in appropriate sections.

Postby Shark Daddy » Fri 27 Jun, 2003 10:05 pm

Yes.

I had the time to do this because I only downloaded seven odd builds of Mozilla through Netscape 2 today. Tomorrow I'll do better I promise. Maybe I'll scout the Netscape servers for new things? Or post profusely.

I think I'm going mad.

:roll:
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.4b) Gecko/20030516 Mozilla Firebird/0.6
Shark Daddy

Postby Hendikins » Fri 27 Jun, 2003 10:08 pm

The ActiveX plugin can not download ActiveX controls.

This minimises the security risk, as you have to manually install any ActiveX controls you may wish to use (by downloading them using IE, or when installing software such as OpenOffice.org that may have them).

This may actually be useful for some users, for using things like ActiveX based chat (MSN, Yahoo, etc).

In short: Having 7.1 installed with the ActiveX plugin is not dangerous, particularly if you don't use IE (or if you keep an eye on what ActiveX controls get installed).
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030625
Michael Hendy
Mozilla PluginDoc - http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/
Hendikins - The Lurking Wolfox
Hendikins
Lurking Wolfox
Lurking Wolfox

Postby Dennis L. » Fri 27 Jun, 2003 10:54 pm

Hendikins wrote:The ActiveX plugin can not download ActiveX controls..... In short: Having 7.1 installed with the ActiveX plugin is not dangerous, particularly if you don't use IE (or if you keep an eye on what ActiveX controls get installed).

My concern (as others?)... does the presence of the plugin have the ability to make any program calls to "Active X" routines, irregardless where there are stored on your HDD? Many Netscape / Mozilla user have enjoyed the security of being isolated from any Active X coupled vira / trojan ware.... OR ... is the phrase "plugin can not download Active X controls" mean we still have our insulated protection?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0 (CK-SillyDog)
Dennis L.
silver member
silver member

Postby jim » Fri 27 Jun, 2003 11:16 pm

Dennis L. wrote:
Hendikins wrote:The ActiveX plugin can not download ActiveX controls..... In short: Having 7.1 installed with the ActiveX plugin is not dangerous, particularly if you don't use IE (or if you keep an eye on what ActiveX controls get installed).

My concern (as others?)... does the presence of the plugin have the ability to make any program calls to "Active X" routines, irregardless where there are stored on your HDD? Many Netscape / Mozilla user have enjoyed the security of being isolated from any Active X coupled vira / trojan ware.... OR ... is the phrase "plugin can not download Active X controls" mean we still have our insulated protection?

I'm not an expert on ActiveX, but I think the ActiveX browser plugins and controls are different than the ActiveX controls used by programs (*.ocx). Even if they weren't, someone would have to know the exact path to the control to cause problems.

ActiveX controls used by browsers appear to be stored in the following directory:

C:\[Windows Directory]\Downloaded Program Files\

Of course, a poorly written ActiveX control could have it's own vulnerability. This is also the case with the Netscape / Mozilla plugin model.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02
jim

Postby Hendikins » Fri 27 Jun, 2003 11:48 pm

Internet Explorer can use any registered ActiveX control on the system, whereas the ActiveX plugin only works with ActiveX controls that are in <WINDIR>\Downloaded Program Files.

This can be verified by installing the OpenOffice.org 1.1 beta with the ActiveX control, and attempting to open an OpenOffice.org document with Netscape and Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer will use the ActiveX control, Netscape will not.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030625
Michael Hendy
Mozilla PluginDoc - http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/
Hendikins - The Lurking Wolfox
Hendikins
Lurking Wolfox
Lurking Wolfox

Postby captjlddavis » Sat 28 Jun, 2003 12:00 am

Hello to all,

Looking back a couple of posts, I noticed that DJGM's UA shows:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)

A little later:
Mandrake wrote:I could almost confirm that your build is not is not the 'Gold' release, as Mozilla 1.4 isn't out yet - and the build date in your UA string suggests a 1.4 nightly was used as the basis for this build of 7.1

I am using Moz 1.4rc3 and it shows the same build date.

Does this indicate that 7.1 is based on RC3.?

thanks in advance for you time.

regards:captjlddavis
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624
old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill everytime......
captjlddavis
gold member
gold member

Postby Fulvio » Sat 28 Jun, 2003 1:18 am

I did a Custom installation, because who needs to install all that stuff if it is installed. I just took out a low interest loan on the .dll file from one of my NS7.02, and so far so good.
I was able to connect with Webmail, but then having changed the SMTP to that of my ISP, I got the same lockup as usual, bad enough that I got a fatal exception. I went back in, and I got the same behavior of not connecting. This did not happen with 7.0. I think it started with 7.01. Then, I remembered an experience which I had with another restricted ISP, the type that you have to check mail, before sending. Presumably, it could send with my ISP SMTP, but it did not. Things went to normal using its SMTP. So, what if Webmail is looking and looking for its SMTP, and has a tantrum? I changed the SMTP, and, whjat do you know? I got a connection, and was able to exit Mail, with no problem,. I will have to check on this the next time around, but it is ok now.
The Spam Controls work ok. As expected, everything goes into them when first set up. Then, after a stern lesson, they start working.
Most annoying was the behavior of the multiple shortcuts, some of which refused to leave, and caused another lockup. I found out that drag and drop in the trash bin worked smoothly.
Of course I am using a new profile, after learning that some people had difficulty using a shared one.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.26.1, FF31, TB31, IE8.0 Google Chrome 36 , Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11.
Fulvio

Postby orizng » Sat 28 Jun, 2003 4:37 am

DJGM wrote:Here's the new throbber . . . only in the classic theme . . .

you can open /chrome/classic.jar by winrar and extract the /skins/classic/communicator/brand/*.* (4 files) to a certain directory, then open /chrome/modern.jar by winrar, find the same directory(.../brand), and click "add" in winrar toolbar, and add the file extracted just now from classic.jar, after repalcement, change the theme to mordern, restart, it's there.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)
Whatever,whatever,have a nice day.
orizng
silver member
silver member

Postby jim » Sat 28 Jun, 2003 10:43 am

The date after "Gecko/" isn't the best way to tell what version of Mozilla a Netscape build is based on. The "Gecko" date is actually the date it was compiled on. If I were to take any older build from mozilla.org and compile it right now, the "Gecko" string whould show today's date.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02
jim

Postby profman » Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:41 am

NSSetup-PROMO.exe is an Offline/Full installation of NS7.1 tied to the McAfee VirusScan feature on their main download page.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624
profman, the mad chemist
Moderator of SillyDog Forums
User of Thunderbird & Firefox
Try Forum Search
profman

Postby DJGM » Mon 30 Jun, 2003 11:11 am

I have decided, that the McAfee VirusScan Clinic Activator will not
be included in the upcoming "DJGM-i Distros" of Netscape 7.1 . . .
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax; PROMO)
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
Windows Internet Explorer = Old Swiss Cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

It's good!

Postby jim » Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:34 pm

PROS (I'm only covering new stuff, since covering everything would make this post go on for pages):

* I like how NS7.1 and Mozilla 1.4 can share the same Gecko Runtime Environment.

* It's good to see the junk mail controls in Netscape. That gives me just one more reason to recommend it. (Mozilla has had junk mail controls for a while, but some would rather go with something they have heard of, and that would be Netscape)

* It's good to see the Mozilla development tools & ChatZilla included in Netscape.

* Most of the nagging UI bugs have been fixed. The Download Font dialog now closes properly when you click on OK.

* Type ahead find is one of the most useful & innovative features I've seen in a while. I've been using it since it was first introduced in Mozilla, and I have found myself trying to use it when I'm using Communicator 4.8.

* It has the ability to check Netscape WebMail through the normal Mail & Newsgroups client.

* Address book syncing with Palm (for those who need it).

CONS:

* Netscape for Linux doesn't have XFT enabled, which makes fonts look ugly. Mozilla doesn't have this either, but at least it can be built from source. Unfortunately, that process can be quite time consuming. I'm glad I have a fast computer!

* Still no XPUninstall (Uninstall for extensions). Doing this manually is a pain, and can easily mess up the browser.

* Netscape disabled the ability to block images from certain servers - WHY?? Mozilla still has this.

* Stupid AOL On Desktop :x :evil:.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624
jim

Postby Lorraine » Mon 30 Jun, 2003 11:12 pm

I really like Netscape 7.02, haven't gotten over my Firebird foray yet so I will stick with NS7.02 a while longer before trying NS7.1 .
I can hear the sighs of relief!! :lol:

I liked MozillaFirebird, it was very easy to use, also no problems except of my own making, [taking over NS7.02], and having to get my email in OE. I didn't like that. I still have Firebird in my recycle bin.
I didn't try Thunderbird for email.

Netscape is MY preferred browser :) but if MozillaFirebird doesn't take too many years for it's final release, I will probably try it again.<g>
-Lorraine
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02
Lorraine
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Mandrake » Tue 01 Jul, 2003 3:02 am

So.. to save myself the download ... is there anything different from the official release, and the beta version I downloaded from the SD701 ftp server a few days ago?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)
Core i7 920 | ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 | 3TB+ HDD | 12GB Corsair DDR3 | Radeon 4890 Xfire | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Logitech Z-5500 Speakers | Dell 3008WFP | Seven RC1
Mandrake

Postby DJGM » Tue 01 Jul, 2003 11:50 am

Mandrake wrote:So.. to save myself the download ... is there anything different
from the official release, and the beta version I downloaded
from the SD701 ftp server a few days ago?

No different at all really, although it is theoretically possible that Netscape
may have used the last few days between last week's temporarily leaked
build, and the final build released yesterday, for extra bug squashing . . .
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02 (CK-DJGM-i.net)
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
Windows Internet Explorer = Old Swiss Cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

PreviousNext

Return to Reference Centre