Netscape 7.2 Released (User Report and Feedback)

This section is for storing good and useful posts for referencing. This section is read only, if you have any questions, please ask in appropriate sections.

Postby Fulvio » Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:07 pm

There are so many ways to get around the Search this. first, remove the Search button from the toolbar. Then using a Tab or a link in the Prefbar for Google. I never noticed that it could have been a problem, until it was brought up, but I have been doing this, since Google was removed as default in an early version.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040803 Moonkoala/0.9.3
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.26.1, FF31, TB31, IE8.0 Google Chrome 36 , Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11.
Fulvio

Toolbar

Postby DiscoFever » Wed 18 Aug, 2004 4:27 pm

With this version of netscape i go to >>EDIT>>Prefrences>> to select or delete buttons from the toolbar but the feature does not work. I wanted to add AIM and RADIO and MAIL to the toolbar but it doesn't work. Also the search button next to the GO button is useless now. I used to use it for search engine search ( Google)...now it takes you to the Netscape search page. Plus the fact that Netscape search is the only search engine listed with no other options makes me miss 7.1 ....Fulvio, I'm crazy Right..
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 MultiZilla/1.6.3.1d (ax)
DiscoFever

Postby neonrich » Wed 18 Aug, 2004 7:17 pm

dluchini30 wrote:
neonrich wrote:
Antony wrote:
neonrich wrote:Installed at home with no problems. Two ' low cost ISP' icons added, one on desktop, one in start menu. Not too bad.
I don't see the "low cost ISP" in my installation.

Hmm. I d/l'd the standalone browser and did a custom install, and got the netscape ISP icons.

Standalone still includes AOL on Desktop (now renamed to Netscape ISP on Desktop).
It appears that the "low-cost ISP" offer is only advertised to existing dial-up users, otherwise you get "Free AOL & Unlimited Internet" instead.

Well then that certainly explains that :)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
neonrich

netscape 7.2

Postby vipergg » Wed 18 Aug, 2004 9:31 pm

Just installed 7.2 on a Win ME machine (933 mghz) without a hitch , everything works as it is supposed to . Page loading seems a little quicker . also to me the colors on the page seem better and brighter , may just be my imagination . So far no known problems but have only been using it for 15 minutes . Mail seems to work ok too . Just got an interesting warning message that I never saw before with version 7.02 , it said warning a script that attempting load is causing mozilla to run slowly , do you want to abort loading the script . I of course said yes . Seems like a cool feature .
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
vipergg

Re: Not liking 7.2 that much

Postby cuppettcj » Thu 19 Aug, 2004 12:18 am

Edit: Yes, I'm using IE right now. I'm on a friend's computer and he doesn't have another browser installed.

James wrote:I suppose I've been spoiled by Firefox. I find several annoying things about the updated Netscape suite that I've grown accustomed to having in Firefox. The biggest of these is the ease of Search and tabbed browsing. I've said it before, tabbed browsing in Firefox is a BREEZE. Just a simple click on the New Tab button and you're on your way. I know I can use hotkeys to do it in NS but I prefer toolbar buttons.

What are you talking about? "Hotkeys?" I just click the "New Tab" button next to the tabs. Does that not show for you?

James wrote:Search is another matter. I despise Netscape Search. It's riddled with advertising traps and frequently the advertising gets in the way of an actual, useful search. I can't seem to customize the main Search button next to the address bar to give me anything but Netscape. I can, through Mycroft, customize the Seach in the sidebar but the fact is, I don't like to use the sidebar. In Firefox I already have the Google Search bar up beside my address bar and it's ready to go.

Again, what are you talking about? I hate Netscape Search too, and I also don't use the sidebar. But when I add search engines through Mycroft, and select them as the default search engine in Preferences, they work when I type searches into the address bar, and their pages are brought up when I click the "Search" button next to the address bar. While I can't get the toolbar "Search" button to pull up anything but Netscape Search, I simply deselect it in Preferences. Why do you need it as long as the "Search" button next to the address bar works? But it doesn't work for you? That sounds like a problem on your machine. Have you tried a new profile? What about selecting a different default search engine, clicking "OK," and then reselecting Google?

James wrote:I'll be consigning NS to a secondary role I'm afraid. Firefox just keeps getting better and better and I can hardly wait for it to go gold.

I haven't tried Firefox yet, but I've heard great things about it. But for now, I'm very satisfied with Netscape 7.2. I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with it.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
cuppettcj

Postby cuppettcj » Thu 19 Aug, 2004 12:21 am

Oops! Something weird happened. I accidently posted twice. I guess that's what I get for using IE.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
cuppettcj

Postby cuppettcj » Thu 19 Aug, 2004 12:33 am

DJGM wrote:The Linux version of Netscape 7.2 doesn't have the Netscape toolbar, nor does it have font smoothing!

Would you mind posting a screenshot of what Netscape 7.2 looks like on Linux? I'm not sure what font smoothing is and I want an idea of what the lack of it looks like, because I plan on installing Linux soon and I want to know if it's worth putting Netscape on it.

If Mozilla has font smoothing, then why not Netscape? Isn't there a workaround?
cuppettcj

confused

Postby mesmilde » Thu 19 Aug, 2004 4:06 am

Hello
I use netscape 7.02 compact (no AIM ICO etc but with the mail/newsreader, adres etc) bit like streamline 7.1.
Will there be an NS 7.2 streamline? , should I just wait ?

like to hear from you

Michiel E. Smilde

(the Netherlands)

I always get lost in the enormity of the topics se please answer me at home please
Smilde@prontomail.com
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02 (Compact - Build 2)
mesmilde

Postby Z_God » Thu 19 Aug, 2004 4:52 am

It seems that they broke AIM Today. AIM would constantly lock up immediatly when I started it using 'netscape -aim'. Disabling AIM Today fixed this.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040805 Netscape/7.2
Z_God

Postby DJGM » Thu 19 Aug, 2004 4:53 am

cuppettcj wrote:
DJGM wrote:The Linux version of Netscape 7.2 doesn't have
the NS toolbar, nor does it have font smoothing!

Would you mind posting a screenshot of what Netscape 7.2 looks like on Linux?
I'm not sure what font smoothing is and I want an idea of what the lack of
it looks like, because I plan on installing Linux soon and I want to
know if it's worth putting Netscape on it.

I'll post a screengrab of Netscape 7.2 running on SUSE Linux 9.1 sometime later today.

cuppettcj wrote:If Mozilla has font smoothing, then why
not Netscape? Isn't there a workaround?

IIRC, someone recently posted a link a workaround for adding XFT font smoothing
to Netscape 7.1. I'm sure the same methods would also work with Netscape 7.2.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
Windows Internet Explorer = Old Swiss Cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Poprocks » Thu 19 Aug, 2004 9:49 am

Here's a screenie of Netscape 7.2 on this Linux box:

http://home.utm.utoronto.ca/~lrathbon/n ... -linux.png

Note that the fonts aren't antialiased (smoothed).
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040626 Firefox/0.9.1
From memory, Windows is a 32-bit hack on a 16-bit GUI, written for an 8-bit OS that originally ran on a PC with a 4-bit system bus, made by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Windows: Stop complaining about it; stop using it.
Poprocks

Postby Antony » Thu 19 Aug, 2004 9:57 am

Thanks for the screenshot.
It looks very similar to my Netscape 7.2 running under Windows (with font smoothing turned off).
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/125.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.9
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Hendikins » Thu 19 Aug, 2004 10:14 am

cuppettcj wrote:
DJGM wrote:The Linux version of Netscape 7.2 doesn't have the Netscape toolbar, nor does it have font smoothing!

Would you mind posting a screenshot of what Netscape 7.2 looks like on Linux? I'm not sure what font smoothing is and I want an idea of what the lack of it looks like, because I plan on installing Linux soon and I want to know if it's worth putting Netscape on it.

As you wish!

cuppettcj wrote:If Mozilla has font smoothing, then why not Netscape? Isn't there a workaround?

Netscape builds aren't compiled with gtk2/xft. That may be able to be worked around.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8a3) Gecko/20040819
Michael Hendy
Mozilla PluginDoc - http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/
Hendikins - The Lurking Wolfox
Hendikins
Lurking Wolfox
Lurking Wolfox

Postby Poprocks » Thu 19 Aug, 2004 10:47 am

For the sake of comparison, here's a screenshot of Firefox 0.9.3 running on this Linux box (Debian Sid) with antialiasing (font smoothing) enabled.

http://home.utm.utoronto.ca/~lrathbon/firefox-linux.png
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040809 Firefox/0.9.3
From memory, Windows is a 32-bit hack on a 16-bit GUI, written for an 8-bit OS that originally ran on a PC with a 4-bit system bus, made by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Windows: Stop complaining about it; stop using it.
Poprocks

Postby Al » Thu 19 Aug, 2004 1:56 pm

I don't see much of a difference between non font smoothing and font smoothing, I guess I'm used to use non font smoothing
mesmilde wrote:Hello
I use netscape 7.02 compact (no AIM ICO etc but with the mail/newsreader, adres etc) bit like streamline 7.1.
Will there be an NS 7.2 streamline? , should I just wait ?

like to hear from you

Michiel E. Smilde

(the Netherlands)

I always get lost in the enormity of the topics se please answer me at home please
Smilde@prontomail.com

There might be, but Ants needs an NS CKK thing first, or just build it on top of the NS7.0x CKK
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040803 Firefox/0.9.3
User of Firefox :ff: 3.0 on Windows XP
Al
diamond member
diamond member

PreviousNext

Return to Reference Centre