Netscape 7.2

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Netscape 7.2

Postby JRImrie » Wed 31 Aug, 2011 7:16 pm

I downloaded NS 9.0 awhile ago and just never got around to using it. Well some problems with 7.2 urged me into 9.0 so I started using it. Not thinking about email I uninstalled NS 7.2. I lost my email so I did a restore. Now all I get with either NS or NS mail is a flash of the logo template but nothing loads. Have I lost all my email? What can I do.
Running an HP with windows XP. I have a another email jrimrie@centurylink.net. Hope someone can help
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0
JRImrie

Re: Netscape 7.2

Postby Antony » Wed 31 Aug, 2011 8:58 pm

have you tried re-installing Netscape 7.2 back? And your old emails could be there.

Unless you deleted your Netscape 7.2 profile, your email (contents) should still be available somewhere in your computer.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.20) Gecko/20110803 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.20
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Amrad » Wed 31 Aug, 2011 9:51 pm

JRImrie wrote:Have I lost all my email? What can I do.

You should find your email in you Netscape profile, located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Windows Username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.slt\Mail\<Your ISP's Mail Server Name> e.g. mail.o2.co.uk, pop.freeserve.co.uk

All your mail will be in the folder "Your ISP's Mail Server Name", in files such as Inbox, Drafts, Sent, etc. There will also be files with the extension ".msf", e.g. Inbox.msf, Drafts.msf Sent.msf, etc. You can ignore/delete those files, as they will be recreated when you next access your email. So, any file in that folder with no extension should contain your email. You can check by opening them in a word editor such as Wordpad, in which you should be able to see your email.

All you have to do, is copy those mail files from your old Netscape 7.2 profile to you new Netscape profile. Be aware, though, that any files in your new profile, with the same name as any in your old profile, will be overwritten by the files from your old profile, so the old files should be renamed first.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Dave.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0.1) Gecko/20110830 SeaMonkey/2.3.1
Amrad
silver member
silver member

Postby JRImrie » Thu 01 Sep, 2011 10:28 am

The problem I have at this point is that I have downloaded Netscape 7.2. I know where the emails are as well. When I try and start either Netscape or Mail the Netscape icon flashes on the screen but it will not open. I have tor resolve what is happening here and correct the problem before I can get my email back where it belongs. I do not understand why Netscape or Mail will not open I only get the flash of the icon and the screen goes black momentarily but nothing opens.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0.1
JRImrie

Postby PaulD » Thu 01 Sep, 2011 4:33 pm

It is highly probable that the Profile has been corrupted - prefs.js and/or some other file(s). Do you happen to have an archived copy of the profile someplace?

Recommendation: Before doing anything more with Netscape: COPY all the email folders (which are disk files) to some other location, either an external device or another folder outside of the Netscape structure. Also copy out all the Address Book folders ( xxx.mab files ).

Now that all the 'vital' files have been captured securely, you have several
Alternatives:
1. Create a new Profile in NS 7. If it works, copy in your vital files.

2. Download and install Thunderbird [note below]. Create a new Profile and get TB working. DO NOT use the Netscape Profile. Then COPY your mail folders into the TB mail folder. Heed Dave/Amrad's last paragraph. The Address Books are more tricky. Post back if you need guidance with these. (Editing of prefs.js is required.)
If you are satisfied with TB, stick with it. If not, then it is NS cleanup time.

3. Uninstall NS. Then go through the Registry and clear all references to Netscape. (Or almost all - there may be a few that have been placed there by Microsoft, I don't remember.) Re-install NS. Retry alternative (1).

[Note. A number of us on this forum are not particularly enchanted with TB 3 and above (you may encounter frustration in defining an email account). If you want to use Thunderbird 2, you can get it from the Thunderbird FTP server. TB 2.0.0.24 is here.]
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
PaulD
diamond member
diamond member

Postby JRImrie » Fri 02 Sep, 2011 10:49 am

I have downloaded a fresh copy of NS 7.2 but it does not work. THE DOWNLOAD HAS TO BE CORRUPTED!! I have looked for another copy of NS 7.2 but it seem everywhere I go I ask for NS 7.2 but it is switched to NS 9.0 or it is somewhere I am not comfortable using as a download source. Can someone tell me where I can download a good clean copy of NS 7.2 safely. Have save all the mail files elsewhere already. Planned on moving to Thunderbird just have not gotten around to it.

Regards,

Jim
JRImrie

Postby JRImrie » Fri 02 Sep, 2011 11:24 am

I found an old copy of NS 7.2 and installed it and it will not run either. Something on my computer is causing the problem. I have no idea where to begin to look at what is going on. I have emails that I need to get to that are not accessible, the inbox file is too big.
JRImrie

Postby Amrad » Fri 02 Sep, 2011 12:20 pm

JRImrie wrote:I found an old copy of NS 7.2 and installed it and it will not run either. Something on my computer is causing the problem.

I downloaded a copy of Netscape 7.2, installed it and had no problems with it, so it does look as though you have a problem with your PC.

I have no idea where to begin to look at what is going on.

The only thing I can think of is to start your PC in 'Safe Mode' and see if that helps.

I have emails that I need to get to that are not accessible, the inbox file is too big.

How big is your Inbox? It is possible to split it into a few smaller file sizes when it will probably be accessible in Netscape.

Using a text editor such as Wordpad, I would suggest splitting the file in two and saving each half separately as, e.g. Inbox 1 and Inbox 2. Then split each half in two again and save them separately with unique names. Once you have the files down to a few hundred MB at most, you should then find that you will be able to see them in Netscape. You should first compact them to remove any deleted and/or moved email from the files, then move what remains to other folders.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Dave.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0.1) Gecko/20110830 SeaMonkey/2.3.1
Amrad
silver member
silver member

Postby Fulvio » Fri 02 Sep, 2011 2:44 pm

If no name other than the default was given, then it should be possible to modify the Target line of your NS7.2 shortcut. Right click on the shortcut|Properties, look at the Target line, which is on top, and add -p, with a keyboard space before the -, save it, and then right click on the modified shortcut. You should have a list of profiles (the p is short for profile) associated with NS7.2. In the simplest case, you should see only default.
If that is the case try to select it and/or add that name to the modified Target line, so that you have (keyboard space)-p(keyboard space)default. In the latter case, the shortcut has been modified to open with the default profile. It will either work, or not if you have a corrupted profile. If corrupted, you will have to create a new profile, according to the directions given above. But, personally, why mess with an ancient program, which has not been supported for years, and not try the related Seamonkey, or Thunderbird?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0) Gecko/20110820 Firefox/6.0 SeaMonkey/2.3.1
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.29, FF31, TB31.1.1, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 37
Fulvio

Postby PaulD » Tue 06 Sep, 2011 12:37 pm

An oversize mail folder - Inbox or other - will cause an irrecoverable choke.
Temporary circumvention, with NS closed:
Either rename the Inbox to something else ( InboxZ ), and do NOT try to Open it when you bring up NS.
Or, preferably, move Inbox completely out of the NS file structure.
NS will create a new mail folder for any basic one that is missing.

Unfortunately, none of the text editors that are available for Windows (WordPad included) can handle oversized files. Do a search for [ "file split utility" } and take your pick.

Dave/Amrad's procedure is correct. But realize that the splitting program doesn't split on 'an email boundary'. One must do recursive split-and-edits (WordPad is fine for 'smaller' files) to get the resulting Inbox-1, Inbox-2 ... Inbox-N files to contain whole emails. Once the smaller mail folders will Open, then the contents can be reorganized in some logical way, such as by year, by sender, etc.

Oh, and remember to Compact the mail folders periodically. (This could be the basic cause of this present problem.)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
PaulD
diamond member
diamond member

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape