Netscape 7 and XML ... again

Need technical advice on coding your web pages? Covers HTML, JavaScript, CSS, and some server side technologies. Also the issue of some webpages not displayed well.

Netscape 7 and XML ... again

Postby Stu » Sat 09 Nov, 2002 1:38 pm

I know that I have raised this before but ...

I have two sites set up using XML and XSL to give client side
transformation. These are identical sites running on different servers
and are purely experimantal sites just for testing XML and XSL.
The sites validate at W3C.

One site at http://stuart.port5.com works with both IE6 and Netscape 7 (running Apache/1.3.14 (Unix))
The other at http://www.stunicholls.myby.co.uk only works with IE6 (running Zeus 4.0)

Both sites have the same MIME type set up using .htaccess

Does anyone have any ideas why Netscape would only work on one site?
Is it possible that the server is the problem?

Thanks

Stu.

Previous thread link: Netscape 7 and client side xml / xsl
[Edit: added previous thread link]
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
In youth we learn, in age we understand
User avatar
Stu
member
member
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu 03 Oct, 2002 2:06 pm
Location: Bristol uk

Postby Shark Daddy » Sat 09 Nov, 2002 4:03 pm

Forgive me for my subpar knowledge, but what is Zeus? I do indeed think it's the server. Looking at that page with Mozilla, I am getting an unknown MIME type reading. .htaccess is only supposed to work on some Unix servers, so you might want to look into what the server can do.

Very nice job with the one that is working though!
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.2b) Gecko/20021108
Shark Daddy
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Wed 19 Jun, 2002 11:19 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Postby Stu » Sat 09 Nov, 2002 4:35 pm

The non-working site is set up on Telewest - Blueyonder servers which, according to the information I can find uses 'Zeus'.
This is an alternative to 'Apache' which is supposed to be more secure.
Telewest are paranoid about server security.

It should recognise the .htaccess file MIME types according to the help files on their site.

Does Mozilla give anymore information as to which MIME type is causing the error?

This XML/XSL territory is all new to me that's why I am trying it out. It does look promising and once you get to grips with XSL (including CSS) it is fairly easy to implement.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
In youth we learn, in age we understand
User avatar
Stu
member
member
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu 03 Oct, 2002 2:06 pm
Location: Bristol uk

Postby Stu » Sat 09 Nov, 2002 4:58 pm

Ok looks like it is sorted.

I always thought that MIME types were set up as
Code: Select all
AddType text/xml .xsl


This has always worked with Apache .

but it looks like the dot is not required before the extension on blueyonder
Code: Select all
AddType text/xml xsl


The site works with this change.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0
In youth we learn, in age we understand
User avatar
Stu
member
member
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu 03 Oct, 2002 2:06 pm
Location: Bristol uk

Postby Stu » Wed 13 Nov, 2002 4:48 pm

If you are interested..... Zeus is in competition with Apache etc
and claims to be about 45% faster, more secure.

See http://www.zeus.com

BTW phpBB web site runs on Zeus (or so they claim).

Have now downloaded Mozilla 1.1 and it really is excellent :)
Might even use it in preference to IE6.

Stu
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.1) Gecko/20020826
In youth we learn, in age we understand
User avatar
Stu
member
member
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu 03 Oct, 2002 2:06 pm
Location: Bristol uk


Return to Web Design and Page Coding

Who is online

Registered users: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]