Netscape 8.1.2 released

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Postby Antony » Sun 01 Oct, 2006 11:17 am

Release Note for Netscape 8.1.2 is now available at http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/support/relnotes.jsp

HOWEVER, I can't see any difference, except changing the number from 8.1 to 8.1.2

(8.1 Release Notes at http://sillydog.org/narchive/rn/81.html )
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/418.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/419.3
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Latest NS revision quits unexpectedly

Postby DixonGreen452 » Wed 11 Oct, 2006 5:22 am

I didn't seem to have this issue until I upgraded NS to 8.1.2.

I suspect it's a Javascript problem: I will go to click to reply to something, on LJ for instance, or access a site at somewhere like Tripod that utilises it heavily, and it will quit without an error message.

It seemed to clear up last night for a while, and then it started quitting on me again tonight. It's driving me INSANE. I screwed around a little in the Javascript permissions, but I am far from capable in dealing with Javascript-related problems. Do I need to save my bookmarks and downgrade? I didn't seem to have an issue until Java Console/NS updated itself, and Firefox and Opera work just fine and dandy.

This is making me exceedingly cranky, because I've been using NS without issue for YEARS.

Any help appreciated.

(Sigh! This is why I never update right away! There's always a problem!)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7
DixonGreen452

Postby DJGM » Thu 04 Jan, 2007 9:42 am

I've installed Netscape 8.1.2 in a VPC installation of Windows XP, to try out the built-in spyware scanner component.

To test it's mettle, I deliberately infected the virtual machine by installing a spyware laden copy of the file-sharing
program, KaZaA. After over an hour of scanning, it reported "13 Problems Found", but it didn't give me any
option to check through what it had found, and deal with it accordingly, as you can see here . . .

What is the point of a spyware scanner that won't allow you deal with the security problems it detects?

I think I'll stick with Spybot S+D and Ad-Aware for fixing any spyware issues that may arise on my PC.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2pre) Gecko/20061223 SeaMonkey/1.1
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
Windows Internet Explorer = Old Swiss Cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Thu 04 Jan, 2007 10:00 am

From your screenshot, there's a button "Remove Selected Spyware & Adware", so ideally, you should be able to select the spyware and remove them.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/418.9.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/419.3
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Thu 04 Jan, 2007 11:17 am

The question is: if you have the option to Remove "selected" spyware & adware but the scan does not indicate what has been found, how can you "select" anything to delete it?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby DJGM » Thu 04 Jan, 2007 11:36 am

Antony wrote:From your screenshot, there's a button "Remove Selected Spyware & Adware",
so ideally, you should be able to select the spyware and remove them.

Even though it said "13 Problems Found", it did not display the list of problems. I know that in this particular case,
all of the problems it supposedly found are items I wouldn't want to keep on a "native" installation of Windows,
seeing as I purposely installed the program that put them there. But, if this wasn't an installation within a
virtual machine, I like to be able to check the list, and make sure there are no "false positives".

If I blithely just go ahead and delete everything it's found, there's a chance it may get rid of something that isn't
spyware, but a clean, non-malicious component of a legitimate program, thus possibly breaking that program.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2pre) Gecko/20061223 SeaMonkey/1.1
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
Windows Internet Explorer = Old Swiss Cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Fulvio » Thu 08 Feb, 2007 12:19 pm

NS8.x is very casual about spyware protection. For instance, it loses the definition, saying that it took long before the last update, and it reverted to about 1970. I could fix things by reinstalling the program, but it did not last long. Now, it is up to date, but it says that my last scan was 34 days ago, while I am positive that I did, at least, two scans. In fact, the Spyware protection feature is the weakest point. I would never remove 13 alleged items, without knowing what they are.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20060912 Netscape/8.1.2
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Disable Netscape Update Services

Postby techalive » Sat 26 Jul, 2008 4:24 pm

In Netscape 8.1.2 we cant' disable preferences "Automatic actualisation", I had modified nsUpdateService.js to disable this service :))))))))) Have a fun!

DOWNLOAD: {Download address removed. See below.}

[Download disabled because:
1. Netscape is an "dead" product.
2. This is an outdated thread.
3. Mr. Czarniecki is an unknown, first-time poster.
4. Downloads from an unknown source are too risky to use.
This download may be reactivated by the administrator, Antony, or even another moderator who knows that this download is safe and worthwhile.
profman, 7/26/2008]
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20060912 Netscape/8.1.2
techalive

Postby richard mitnick » Sat 26 Jul, 2008 6:33 pm

Me thinks something is wrong here.

>>RSM
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1
richard mitnick
diamond member
diamond member

Postby techalive » Fri 01 Aug, 2008 8:11 pm

Netscape's fans don't think like moderator...
It's Netscape Archive forum that it's amazing to write like profman. If you will to block every people Netscape never reactivate :( it's very sad, but if you comments on this forum Netscape rise up, don't think?
I'm one of Netscape's fan, therefore I wanna support it. Download is safefull. I'm testing it for my machine. But outdated thread never, never be a lost.

Once again, valid NON-viruse link: http://envoyez.awardspace.com/nsUpdateService.js
Last edited by techalive on Fri 01 Aug, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
techalive

Postby James » Fri 01 Aug, 2008 8:21 pm

No offense meant but I seriously doubt ANYONE is going to download a dead browser like Netscape unless he/she has a very specific reason for doing so. It's dead and over with... six feet under. Time to move on and Firefox is the way that most have chosen to go. Updated browser, security holes quickly patched, etc etc etc. You get the picture, I'm sure. Have a good one. :wink:
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby richard mitnick » Fri 01 Aug, 2008 10:18 pm

James-

I support your argument.

I bemoan the end of the first browser I ever used, and, I must say, six degrees of separation, NN9, born of FF, born of MozillaSuite, born of Netscape, I used it to the end.

And, techie (you don't mind if I use your nickname, eh?), did you imply that I was a moderator? If so, not so, my friend, my knowledge is very very wide, but only a hairsbreadth deep.

>>RSM
richard mitnick
diamond member
diamond member

Postby profman » Fri 01 Aug, 2008 11:11 pm

techalive wrote:Netscape's fans don't think like moderator...
It's Netscape Archive forum that it's amazing to write like profman. If you will to block every people Netscape never reactivate :( it's very sad, but if you comments on this forum Netscape rise up, don't think?
I'm one of Netscape's fan, therefore I wanna support it. Download is safefull. I'm testing it for my machine. But outdated thread never, never be a lost.

I believe that you misunderstood my use of the word "dead."

All Netscape versions are technically "dead" since its development is no longer being pursued and no future security patches will be developed. See Official End of Support. The last English language version appears to be Netscape 9.0.0.6.

Many people still prefer, for their own reasons, to use older browsers despite some risk and possible inconvenience. Among my many computer systems I still have Netscape 7.2 (the last Netscape with mail) and versions of the Mozilla Suite (with mail), but my main browser is now Firefox 2.0.0.x.

Sillydog will attempt to address any browser questions, even for Netscape browsers.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16
profman, the mad chemist
Moderator of SillyDog Forums
User of Thunderbird & Firefox
Try Forum Search
profman

Previous

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape