Netscape 8 pre-Beta

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Postby groingo » Thu 17 Feb, 2005 9:13 pm

Wanted: Netscape Prototype 2 or Netscape 8 Pre Beta.
Have tried over the months to get access but they never return email requests.
Have been running 0.5.6+/ 0.9.3 for months and really enjoy it, but have had no luck going through proper channels to keep up to date.

A download address for either or both or you can simply email it or them to me at groingo@yahoo.com

Very much appreciated,
Revson
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20041122 Firefox/0.5.6+
groingo

Postby orizng » Thu 17 Feb, 2005 9:14 pm

dluchini30 wrote:They have posted this on the private message board, I assume? I can't seem to find it anywhere else.

/* Off-topic, for my own goodwill
If anybody from Netscape is reading this:
PLEASE, LET ME BACK IN THE FORUM, this would be the only Netscape release I've ever missed. I've even got my hands on 0.5.6+ and 0.6.4+ by unmentionable means, but this one is definitely lost to me...

well, dont be upset, if u finally can not find a way to get it, give me a msg, i will try to open a ftp temporarily for u tomorrow.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0 (ax)
Whatever,whatever,have a nice day.
orizng
silver member
silver member

Postby Antony » Thu 17 Feb, 2005 9:24 pm

groingo wrote:A download address for either or both or you can simply email it or them to me at *****
Sorry, such request is clearly breaching the agreement any Prototype testers (and unauthorised users of Netscape Prototype) with Netscape.

Actions will be taken for anyone who post a link of an alternative location for downloading non-public released Netscape in SillyDog701 or using SillyDog701's facilities to pass authorised information.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.5.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.12
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Joji » Thu 17 Feb, 2005 9:28 pm

Alice wrote:I uninstalled the Prototype v2 and removed the entire C:\Documents and
Settings\Alice\Application Data\Netscape folder to Backup, so I would get a clean install. Was asked what to migrate during the new version's install, and I chose Firefox 1.0 data this time. NO passwords were migrated (importing password data later on, from Mozilla 1.7.5 didn't work either). Has ANYONE gotten passwords to either migrate over or import into any of the Prototypes? I had the same complaint about the earlier versions.

Same here. Password info was not migrated from FF 1.0.

BTW, I just find infamous menubar can be customized on this pre-Beta.

Just right-click on Toolbar area, and select "Toggle Menu Bar Position". Good job. :)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20050217 Firefox/0.9.4
It is spelled J-O-J-I, but pronounced GEORGE.
Joji

Postby Antony » Thu 17 Feb, 2005 9:32 pm

Joji wrote:BTW, I just find infamous menubar can be customized on this pre-Beta.

Just right-click on Toolbar area, and select "Toggle Menu Bar Position". Good job. :)
Oh! No! :-P
I like it the unusual way. thanks for letting us know.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.5.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.12
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Fulvio » Thu 17 Feb, 2005 9:37 pm

I uninstalled the Protoyype 2, but left the Profile. Everything working pretty well before. It looks like this beast (have you seen the size?) can't use the old Profile, or what I see is what I get. So, here we go:
1. Not only no passwords migrated or used, but none saved. So, I have to enter passwords everywhere. But, this happened with Proto 2.
2. Site Controls is a joke, at best. I thought that Right Click| Remove from site controls meant exactly that. It just moves the item to the top or bottom, or whatever. I even had a few which were preset for IE, and reset to Netscape, go back to IE.
3. The stupid thing cannot tell that I have Javascript and Cookies enabled, so I can't use the Chapera (yes) Browser to give my feedback.
4. I can have almost 20% of my toolbar for spui, but cannot get my Personal Toolbar Folder (I could before).
5. Go over the entire thing. I can't trust anything. The only extention available is called Comet null. Comet is Spyware is it not?
6. Watch the settings. The way it is as default, it will download and install new versions of the browser and extentions.

I am going to give CHAPERA (quite a name) another look. I found all this in less than 10 min.
I will, probably, uninstall it, and remove the profile. It could not be worse.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Postby orizng » Thu 17 Feb, 2005 9:39 pm

huh, im really frustrated.
Just crashed w/o reason
ans also, may any developer please tell me
WHY the HELL it opens websites with IE engine as deafult even for netscape.com? and I seems can not remove any item in the site control list?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0 (ax)
Last edited by orizng on Thu 17 Feb, 2005 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orizng
silver member
silver member

Postby Don_HH2K » Thu 17 Feb, 2005 9:45 pm

OK, I just got my hands on it, but what gives here? How come I can't get rid of the Search dialog? Where's the Stop button? And most importantly, why is IE the default for everything?

OK, fine, it's here in case 7.2 breaks, but I'm definitely waiting for 8.0 final, with a lot of hopeful fixes to the interface, sometime soon. If it doesn't, I'll just keep on using 7.2 forever. After all, my father only switched from Netscape 4.8 just recently, and since NS7.2 is really superior to that and is modular with the DTDs I'm guessing NS7.2 will last me awhile.

EDIT -- upon closing it froze, so I used Task Manager to close it, and it turned out that the browser was using a whopping 80MB of RAM and had 64MB of virtual memory allocated to it. Why does a standalone browser need all that memory, even Netscape with Navigator, Mail, and Composer windows open (and an AIM sessionr running) only takes up 50MB with a 16MB virtual memory space.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20050217 Firefox/0.9.4
Last edited by Don_HH2K on Thu 17 Feb, 2005 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laptop: HP Compaq nx6325 - Turion 64 X2 @ 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100GB HD, ATI Radeon X300, 15" LCD, Seven Pro
Handheld: Palm Treo 650 - Intel PXA270 @ 312MHz, 10MB RAM, 32MB flash, 2.7" LCD, Palm OS 5.4
Don_HH2K

Postby groingo » Thu 17 Feb, 2005 9:46 pm

Antony wrote:
groingo wrote:A download address for either or both or you can simply email it or them to me at *****
Sorry, such request is clearly breaching the agreement any Prototype testers (and unauthorised users of Netscape Prototype) with Netscape.

Actions will be taken for anyone who post a link of an alternative location for downloading non-public released Netscape in SillyDog701 or using SillyDog701's facilities to pass authorised information.

Got 2 thanks.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20041122 Firefox/0.5.6+
Last edited by groingo on Thu 17 Feb, 2005 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
groingo

Postby orizng » Thu 17 Feb, 2005 10:18 pm

ok, more detail.
1.when sign in from a secure page, the input area will turn green color, despite any CSS style for the form, which is quite cool.
2.those buttons on the toolbar really slow things down, especially when put feeds on it.
3.When first open NS, it never automatically maximum, altho it "thinks" itself maximumed, there are actually still border of the window around it.
4.Glad AIM is still there.
orizng
silver member
silver member

Postby Joji » Thu 17 Feb, 2005 10:19 pm

Fulvio wrote:4. I can have almost 20% of my toolbar for spui, but cannot get my Personal Toolbar Folder (I could before).

Have a try selecting "4" button on the left most of the personal toolbar (there are five number buttons)

Fulvio wrote:5. Go over the entire thing. I can't trust anything. The only extention available is called Comet null. Comet is Spyware is it not?

Comet is a theme name. It was Alminum on prototype.
Joji

Postby Fulvio » Thu 17 Feb, 2005 10:26 pm

I know I posted somewhere, and, honestly, I give up.
I did not mind the Prototype, but this is horrible. It is almost going through the Previews of 6.0, to the final version.
My problems are with the content, and nearly impossibility of setting it up properly, or at least like Proto 2 was.
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Postby Antony » Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:08 pm

groingo wrote:
Antony wrote:

Checked my current prototype version for EULA or NDSAG and there are none

You can read the [sdp=49201]license aggrement[/sdp] here.
2. RESTRICTIONS. Except as otherwise expressly permitted in this Agreement, you may not: (i) modify or create any derivative works of the Browser or documentation, including customization, translation or localization; (ii) decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, or otherwise attempt to derive the source code for the Browser (except to the extent applicable laws specifically prohibit such restriction), or the underlying ideas or algorithms of the Browser; (iii) redistribute, encumber, sell, rent, lease, sublicense, or otherwise transfer rights to the Browser; (iv) remove or alter any trademark, logo, copyright or other proprietary notices, legends, symbols or labels in the Browser; (v) block, disable or otherwise affect any advertising, advertisement banner window, tabs, links to other sites and services, or other features that constitute an integral part of the Browser; (vi) share the password for accessing the Browser download area with anyone else; (vii) use the Browser in any way that violates this Agreement or any law; or (viii) authorize or assist any third party to do any of the things described in this paragraph.

groingo wrote:[Any constructive help is appreciated.
Please wait for public release, it won't be long.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; Alexa Toolbar)
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

New in the Forum

Postby Tessaru » Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:10 pm

Hello toAll,

I am new to the forum. I am looking for a way to get the Netscape 8.0 beta version. I have exhausted all means, but I can't seem to find the correct website. I have registered in all sites supposedly accepting beta testers, but I am out of luck. Maybe coz I am a girl :cry:

I know I am late to become a beta tester for NS 8.0 but I am really desperate to get a hold of this this much awaited browser.

I am a sofware tester so I have a long list of browsers that I normally used for testing our webbased product - name the browser and I have tested it.

So, can someone please be kind enough to let me know how I can get the NS 8.0 Beta ?

Thanks and nice forum by the way,

Tessaru
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
Tessaru

Postby Joji » Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:25 pm

For those wondering Fulvio's "Chapera Browser", see this screen shot of splash image of pre-Beta.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/georgei/test/n8b_splash.jpg

If I understand correctly, "Chapera" is a name of a tribe in "Survivor: All-Stars".

Usually, I like this kind of joke, but in this case, I hope it is limited on pre-Beta.
Joji

PreviousNext

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape