Netscape 8 pre-Beta

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Re: New in the Forum

Postby Antony » Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:30 pm

Tessaru wrote:So, can someone please be kind enough to let me know how I can get the NS 8.0 Beta ?
Please wait for the public release, it won't be long.

The display (result and rendering) will be identical to Firefox 1.0, unless you switch to Internet Explorer.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.5.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.12
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Al » Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:52 pm

I've noticed that it delete my profiles. Somehow, the reload/stop button does not work. It crashes when it first launches. It did manage to port everything in Firefox 1.0. Comet is nice, but it still has a lot of fuff left over from Aluminum. The new Customize Toolbar is bad. Loading pages is slow. I have not tried to install extensions or themes yet
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041108 Firefox/1.0
User of Firefox :ff: 3.0 on Windows XP
Al
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Fulvio » Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:59 pm

I posted twice, and nothing here. I am too tired of fighting it. Three strikes and it is out. It worked ok, sort of, but could not even load a page after closing it, and reopening it.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0 (ax)
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Postby DJGM » Fri 18 Feb, 2005 3:24 am

It's good that AOL are releasing Netscape 8.0 soon, and especially the fact that the menubar can
be repositioned into the right place (where it should've been to start with) but I'll be happy if the
outsourced Netscape Product Team at Mercurial Communications could do us one big favour . . .

Release Netscape 8.0 for Mac OS X and Linux, not just for Windows!
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050205
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
Windows Internet Explorer = Old Swiss Cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Gregor » Fri 18 Feb, 2005 5:20 am

So far very good !
Did anyone of you tried to put (at least) some of your bookmarks into Multitab ? There is no "workaround" like Alice described for Proto2.

Edit:

After I press submit button to post, Beta offered me Data Card for this page!
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20050217 Firefox/0.9.4
"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take us or spare us." Marcel Proust.
Gregor
silver member
silver member

Postby Antony » Fri 18 Feb, 2005 7:40 am

The default setting for rendering trusted sites is set to Internet Explorer.

I wonder what is Netscape doing...

UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20050217 Firefox/0.9.4
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Gregor » Fri 18 Feb, 2005 8:06 am

Antony wrote:The default setting for rendering trusted sites is set to Internet Explorer.

Yes, and they can not be removed, damn thing :!:
"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take us or spare us." Marcel Proust.
Gregor
silver member
silver member

Postby Antony » Fri 18 Feb, 2005 8:38 am

Gregor wrote:
Antony wrote:The default setting for rendering trusted sites is set to Internet Explorer.

Yes, and they can not be removed, damn thing :!:
Well, you can change that to Netscape, but for every new profile...
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.5.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.12
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Clarifications

Postby nscpprod » Fri 18 Feb, 2005 8:40 am

A few things:

1.) Mercurcial Communications is not the Netscape Product Team. Mercurial is one of many technology partners working on this browser.

2.) IE is not the default rendering engine. It was only preset as the default rendering engine for the few trusted sites there are. If you don't like IE being the engine for the Trusted Sites setting, you can easily change it.

3.) You can turn off the automatic settings by going in the "Trust Preferences" tab.

There isn't much you can't customize in this browser. Have at it.

Thanks
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20050217 Firefox/0.9.4
nscpprod
Netscape
Netscape

Postby Antony » Fri 18 Feb, 2005 8:42 am

Joji wrote:BTW, I just find infamous menubar can be customized on this pre-Beta.

Just right-click on Toolbar area, and select "Toggle Menu Bar Position". Good job. :)
Again, thanks Joji.

I have a graphic version to repeat what Joji said :-)

You can change the menu bar position from this
to

All you need to do is simply... Image
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Re: Clarifications

Postby Antony » Fri 18 Feb, 2005 8:43 am

nscpprod wrote:2.) IE is not the default rendering engine. It was only preset as the default rendering engine for the few trusted sites there are. If you don't like IE being the engine for the Trusted Sites setting, you can easily change it.
Thanks for clarifying.
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby dynamics » Fri 18 Feb, 2005 10:19 am

I really thought I would hate the new blue theme but I actually like it. I haven't had any problems with it yet except the horrible frustrations of customizing the toolbars and such.

The menu bar shift is a good, good thing. Well, I don't have much of a problem with it being on the right - at least you can FIND it.

Now all I have to do is wait for the Mac version... but I'm really unsure how most of these features are going to port over.

Anyway, good stuff... needs some cosmetic changes, but still good stuff.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20050217 Firefox/0.9.4
dynamics

Postby Pu7o » Fri 18 Feb, 2005 11:11 am

dynamics wrote:I really thought I would hate the new blue theme but I actually like it. I haven't had any problems with it yet except the horrible frustrations of customizing the toolbars and such.

The menu bar shift is a good, good thing. Well, I don't have much of a problem with it being on the right - at least you can FIND it.

Now all I have to do is wait for the Mac version... but I'm really unsure how most of these features are going to port over.

Anyway, good stuff... needs some cosmetic changes, but still good stuff.

that is, IF they release a version for mac. and even if they do, it will be without the "view as internet explorer" thingy. i hope they release it for mac and linux tho...

by the way, has any *nix user tried this on wine?
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows 3.1)
Pu7o
Macfox
Macfox

Postby Fulvio » Fri 18 Feb, 2005 11:39 am

I care little about the extras. I am concerned about the fact that I cannot remove a site from the Site Controls. I just don't even want to see some.
It took me five tries to get something which resembles the Proto 2.
The first time I did what any Netscape or Mozilla user would do, uninstalling Proto 2 but leaving the profile. It was not so bad, in retrospect, but had no multi- toolbar, understandably. So, I uninstalled it, and removed the profile, but took the Netscape7.1 setting(I don't have the program, but have the profile). It was not so bad, but things started going to pot when I tried to make some changes. My third and fourth try used Firefox1.0 settings. In each case, I was not able to open this unlikely "survivor" after closing it once. Finally, after I had given up completely, I tried again, using Moz1.7.5, and, everything appeared, somehow, including the Personal Toolbar.
This morning, it froze on starting, but when I cllicked Cntrl+Alt( not Del), it started loading the Tab. So, we have wise guy, at hand.
But, I did not like the Tabs, File|Open Tab will open only Netscape.com, without entering a website. I eventually wised up, and replaced the multi-netscape.com tabs, and saved the settings.
So, after five minutes of power struggle, I entered a website of my choice, and before I could open any link, the beast decided that it had had enough for the day, and shutdown.
After a suitable wait, I tried again. My Tabs were all present, but although the multi-tab number 4 says Bookmarks, I must have gone, selectively, blind, because nothing is there. Everything, in fact, is gone from the toolbar. Finally, after failing to sign in the Message Boards, because of alleged javascript or cookies' infractions, I was able to do it. Now, I will have to find the mail and Feedback buttons, which disappeared after the shutdown.
Chapera reminds me of a program which I had tried which required reinstalling for each use. I said, somewhere else, that this "improvement" reminds me Netscape 6.0. If they release it without some major changes, Netscape is, indeed, doomed.
Now, let's see if it let me post.
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Postby orizng » Fri 18 Feb, 2005 11:53 am

CPU usage constantly going up to 44%, memory usage also around 50Mb, what 's the reason? Flashes in the webpage? memory leakage? or whatelse?
Whatever,whatever,have a nice day.
orizng
silver member
silver member

PreviousNext

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape