Netscape 8 pre-Beta

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Postby groingo » Fri 18 Feb, 2005 1:05 pm

Antony wrote:
groingo wrote:
Antony wrote:
groingo wrote:A download address for either or both or you can simply email it or them to me at *****
Sorry, such request is clearly breaching the agreement any Prototype testers (and unauthorised users of Netscape Prototype) with Netscape.

Actions will be taken for anyone who post a link of an alternative location for downloading non-public released Netscape in SillyDog701 or using SillyDog701's facilities to pass authorised information.

Checked my current prototype version for EULA or NDSAG and there are none

You can read the [sdp=49201]license aggrement[/sdp] here.
2. RESTRICTIONS. Except as otherwise expressly permitted in this Agreement, you may not: (i) modify or create any derivative works of the Browser or documentation, including customization, translation or localization; (ii) decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, or otherwise attempt to derive the source code for the Browser (except to the extent applicable laws specifically prohibit such restriction), or the underlying ideas or algorithms of the Browser; (iii) redistribute, encumber, sell, rent, lease, sublicense, or otherwise transfer rights to the Browser; (iv) remove or alter any trademark, logo, copyright or other proprietary notices, legends, symbols or labels in the Browser; (v) block, disable or otherwise affect any advertising, advertisement banner window, tabs, links to other sites and services, or other features that constitute an integral part of the Browser; (vi) share the password for accessing the Browser download area with anyone else; (vii) use the Browser in any way that violates this Agreement or any law; or (viii) authorize or assist any third party to do any of the things described in this paragraph.

groingo wrote:[Any constructive help is appreciated.
Please wait for public release, it won't be long.

I did finagle a copy of 8B1 and have already gone back to P2 as 8 is a mess.
Have to admit 8 is easier on the eyes...if they can make it function as good as it looks they are going to really have something!
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) NS10/0.6.4
groingo

Postby Fulvio » Fri 18 Feb, 2005 5:45 pm

It takes two tries to start, because the first one locks up. This time the Cntrl+Alt threat did not get it in shape, so I had to CAD. Then, I was able to start it ok. As for my button on the Personal Toolbar, they really seem to be one use, and then, lot's of luck. This time, I had to go to View|Toolbars|Customize, and once again I had to drag and drop the System Mail, Beta Feedback,Bookmarks and Weather. While Weather and Beta Feedback seem to have "spares", System mail and Personal Bookmarks , in Navigational, but not the tag type bookmarks, produce my Personal Toolbar folders. And, of course which button would I push? No.5, or Empty, of course.
I can't believe this thing.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20050217 Firefox/0.9.4
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Postby Al » Fri 18 Feb, 2005 6:26 pm

I really wanted to see a Mac/Linux verison. I have noticed when you start Netscape 8, you can still see the update on the statusbar. I do't like the idea of bookmarks being hyperlinks. Username/password fields are green.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20050217 Firefox/0.9.4
User of Firefox :ff: 3.0 on Windows XP
Al
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Pu7o » Fri 18 Feb, 2005 6:30 pm

Al wrote:Username/password fields are green.

omg? and i thought they finally got good taste...
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050218 Firefox/1.0+ (Kidzilla/0.1 (alpha) based on Mozilla Firefox 1.1 (trunk))
Pu7o
Macfox
Macfox

Postby Al » Fri 18 Feb, 2005 11:10 pm

I thought it looked bad, really bad
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041108 Firefox/1.0
User of Firefox :ff: 3.0 on Windows XP
Al
diamond member
diamond member

Postby groingo » Sat 19 Feb, 2005 2:23 am

I guess the reason 8 looked so good is that my expectations have been lowered by IE which is now relegated to an update / patch loader and the many other wannabe browsers that load a ton of gizmos but fail in the most basic feature, internet browsing.
My ISP is getting hit with so many people just getting off the net they are handing out $15.00 coupons just to try and keep people interested.

Ugh,
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20050101 Firefox/0.6.4
groingo

Postby Fulvio » Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:01 am

I am wondering if the people who are preoccupied by appearances are having no problem, otherwise. I could care less what the toolbars look like once I am surfing. But, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
My impression of this build is in the same category as Netscape6.0, final. Except that NS6.0, though slow, was more stable.
But, I figured out how to remove the Search item, and, that makes me feel good.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0 (ax)
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Postby Alice » Sat 19 Feb, 2005 12:07 pm

On toolbars in general, FIVE toolbars to choose from is overkill, and confusing! You shouldn't have to fiugure out that you need to select Toolbar #1 or #3 or whichever, to see a particular set of items.

On the Bookmarks Toolbar items:

I noticed that when you switch the browser window from Maximized to a smaller window size, the Bookmarks Toolbar items disappear. Switching the browser window back to Maximized, the Bookmarks toolbar items reappear. Didn't see that listed in the buglist included in the release notes, which I posted in the other Netscape 8 Beta forum thread here.

nscpprod wrote:A few things:

1.) Mercurcial Communications is not the Netscape Product Team. Mercurial is one of many technology partners working on this browser.

2.) IE is not the default rendering engine. It was only preset as the default rendering engine for the few trusted sites there are. If you don't like IE being the engine for the Trusted Sites setting, you can easily change it.

3.) You can turn off the automatic settings by going in the "Trust Preferences" tab.

On site controls and the IE rendering engine, I also saw:
http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=6092
Re: IE Rendering engine?
by scottiex Friday February 18th, 2005 7:55 AM
<snip> IE is NOT the default rendering engine, and you can even configure the browser to not use IE at all. Click on "Trust Preferences" to turn off their recommended settings if you wish, or you can determine what settings are used when a trusted site is visited. Sorry guys, but this thing is awesome.

By default, the "Netscape Trust Ratings" are enabled in the Tools > Options > Site Controls > "Trust Preferences". The Netscape Browser comes with a "whitelist" of sites already "verified by a Netscape Security Partner". Most of these "verified" sites are configured to use the Internet Explorer rendering engine, while a select few (Mozilla, mecurila.ca) use Netscape's engine.

As far as new sites added to the site controls list, you can choose your own default setting. Instead of allowing the "Netscape Trust Ratings" to configure my settings, I've changed the Site Controls > "Trust Preferences" setting from "Automatically configure..." to "always use this setting as a default" and I selected "I'm not sure" as the default setting. That way, all sites, both unknown and verified, will open in Netscape.

One thing I noticed,
If you choose the "I trust this site" setting, the site will come up in Internet Explorer. The "I trust this site"... setting is described as "to enable maximum site functionality. If you use "I'm not sure" or "I don't trust this site" setting, then the site will display in Netscape . That makes perfect sense, because Netscape rendering is more secure than IE, and only sites that you trust should ever be opened in Internet Explorer.

Sites which haven't been "verified" by Netscape's "security partners" (the shield icon on the tab will be in yellow) such as sillydog.org, will come up by default with Netscape's rendering engine, which is very good!

However, some people will click the yellow shield on the tab and then might click on "I trust this site". What will happen then, the page will be reloaded and the site is then rendered in Internet Explorer. It's unfortunate that it's been set up that way, equating "I trust this site" with rendering the page in Internet Explorer, with the explanation given, "to enable maximim site functionality".
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20050217 Firefox/0.9.4
Alice
Mozilla Champion
Mozilla Champion

Postby Alice » Sat 19 Feb, 2005 12:08 pm

Fulvio wrote: But, I figured out how to remove the Search item, and, that makes me feel good.

Do you want to share that information?

Speaking of Searches:

http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6784 includes information on adding additional searchplugins to Netscape 7.2 - Users can copy over the searchplugins (gif or png and .src) from other browsers' "searchplugins" folder or they can go to http://mycroft.mozdev.org/ and install from there. I figured I'd try adding additional searchplugins to the new Netscape Browser.

I found a searchplugins folder in C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape Browser\defaults\profile\searchplugins and it contains only NetscapeSearch.gif and .src files. The same Searchplugins are also shown in the profile:
C:\Documents and Settings\Alice\Application Data\Netscape\NSAE\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\searchplugins folder.

I tried installing a couple of new searchplugins from http://mycroft.mozdev.org/ in the new Netscape Browser but it wouldn't work... it didn't install anything. So, I had a bunch of saved searchplugins (.gif or .png and .src file pairs) from Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape 7.2, etc so I added some additional searchplugins to the C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape Browser\defaults\searchplugins folder to test, then checked in View > My Sidebar > Search, but still, only Netscape was available.

So, I added the additional searchplugins to the profile:
C:\Documents and Settings\Alice\Application
Data\Netscape\NSAE\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\searchplugins folder and that did the trick - I was able to pick and use the new search plugins (dogpile, askJeeves, google, yahoo etc).
Alice
Mozilla Champion
Mozilla Champion

Postby Fulvio » Sat 19 Feb, 2005 4:01 pm

Alice, I was irritated at the Browser kicking me out, that I did not complete my post when I got back in in Firefox.
This is taken from someone else's post at thre Message Board, and, it involves editing the localstore.rdf file. This part:
<RDF:Description RDF:about="chrome://browser/content/browser.xul#nav-bar"
currentset="back-button,forward-button,stop-reload-button,home-button, etc.
/>

It is a long one, but there should be a "search-container" part of the line. If you remove only that part, save and then reopen the browser, you, finally, get a reasonable size for the URL bar.

As for the disappearance of the personal toolbar, and, everything else except for the multi choice thing, it happens regularly to me, without making any changes. I have to keep dragging and dropping the items. I can live with that, but the sudden kicking me out are a bit much to take, and I can't use the Browser and hope to post anything.
Today, I clicked logout in the board, and I was out of the browser, as well. I have a bunch of Tabs to avoid this. And, I get no warning.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
~ Henrik Ibsen
Fulvio

Postby Alice » Sat 19 Feb, 2005 4:24 pm

Fulvio wrote:Alice, I was irritated at the Browser kicking me out, that I did not complete my post when I got back in in Firefox.
This is taken from someone else's post at thre Message Board, and, it involves editing the localstore.rdf file. This part:
<RDF:Description RDF:about="chrome://browser/content/browser.xul#nav-bar"
currentset="back-button,forward-button,stop-reload-button,home-button, etc.
/>

It is a long one, but there should be a "search-container" part of the line. If you remove only that part, save and then reopen the browser, you, finally, get a reasonable size for the URL bar.

So... that's how you got rid of the Netscape Search item on the toolbar? Hopefully an easier fix will be offerred in the public release.

Fulvio wrote:As for the disappearance of the personal toolbar, and, everything else except for the multi choice thing, it happens regularly to me, without making any changes.

I've noticed the Bookmarks toolbar items now regularly disappear as well. They're missing now when I start the Netscape Browser, even though the right "multi-toolbar" number for bookmarks is chosen. Toggling the window size brings back the bookmark toolbar items but it's a bug that needs addressing.

As for the Browser closing down, crashing, ets, I havn't experienced that at all. Did you remove the entire Application Data\Netscape folder so that a brand new default profile is created? That's how I installed Prototype v2 and that's how I installed this latest release, and both worked fine as far as not "kicking me out" as you put it.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
Alice
Mozilla Champion
Mozilla Champion

Postby Fulvio » Sun 20 Feb, 2005 12:14 am

Alice,
I think that I tried almost everything. I don't recall where I posted but, this is my fifth reinstall.
The first one used the old profile, but after seeing one of your posts,I uninstalled, and removed the profile. I did it once with a Netscape settings, and, it was, probably ok in retrospect, but again, seeing your post, I went for the complete removal, and tried the Firefox1.0. I was never able to restart the browser, and I tried again, and still no luck. After wasting a good portion of the day, I tried one more time, with old, no longer used Moz1.6 settings.
And, I am still using it. I think that we agree pretty well on most misbehaviors, except that I have a couple of extra one. The unexpected closing has been reported. Today, it happened once when I logged out of the message board, but, in the past it happened while I was typing a post, or surfing. I have, repeatedly lost the cursor, while typing. It never happens with Firefox. And, being a mediocre typist, i.e. I look at the keyboard rather than the screen, I do a lot of unneeded finger exercises.
And, I am down to three items in the multibar, although I could be down to the single one, i.e. Bookmarks.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0 (ax)
~ Henrik Ibsen
Fulvio

Postby Hendikins » Sun 20 Feb, 2005 10:19 am

Hey, this runs under Wine!

When installing, it displays a blank EULA, so does that mean I'm not bound by one? ;-)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050215
Michael Hendy
Mozilla PluginDoc - http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/
Hendikins - The Lurking Wolfox
Hendikins
Lurking Wolfox
Lurking Wolfox

Postby Fulvio » Sun 20 Feb, 2005 10:54 am

I think I got this "under control".
1.Starting first time, after computer was off:
a.click on shortcut, wait a few seconds, and Cntrl+Alt+Del.
b.click again, and it will start.
c. If you have bookmarks in the Personal Bookmarks Folder, maximize, and then restore (on upper right), and your bookmarks come back.
d. Site controls, check which rendering engine is listed for each site which NS8 so generously provides. You can't get rid of the sites.
e. If NS Browser is used last, WinXP will take an inordinate amount of time to shutdown, give it time.
f. CPU usage is, generally, way up.

Other than this, it is a perfectly normal browser :roll:
~ Henrik Ibsen
Fulvio

Postby Hendikins » Sun 20 Feb, 2005 11:06 am

Screenshot on WinXP that is over 550px wide
Even bigger screenshot under CrossOver Office

As you can see, adbar still looks like it belongs there :-)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050215
Michael Hendy
Mozilla PluginDoc - http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/
Hendikins - The Lurking Wolfox
Hendikins
Lurking Wolfox
Lurking Wolfox

PreviousNext

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape