Netscape 9's Sidebar Browser, with address bar etc

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Netscape 9's Sidebar Browser, with address bar etc

Postby Antony » Tue 20 Mar, 2007 11:48 am

From The Netscape Blog.

Chris Finke wrote:In Netscape 9, we've built upon Firefox's option to load a bookmark in the sidebar by extending sidebar browsing to all links. (Right click on any link and choose "Open Link in Sidebar;" you can also drag and drop a link onto the sidebar if it is already open.)

In order to properly support this feature, we've enhanced the sidebar browser by adding a navigation menu, address bar, and link target toggle. The default link target is to have all links clicked in the sidebar launch in the main browser window, which is best suited for a single webpage that has lots of outgoing links (like your My.Netscape page, example shown below). You can also choose to toggle this and just browse in the sidebar as if it was a regular browser window.

The sidebar browser can be opened with a toolbar button, a hot-key combination, or via the View > Sidebar menu.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Tue 20 Mar, 2007 11:51 am

Finally, we have a full screenshot of Netscape 9 browser (with sidebar), which suggests the releasing date is coming.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Pu7o » Tue 20 Mar, 2007 7:15 pm

Looks a lot like a green version of a mixture of the Safari and Firefox interfaces.
UserAgent: Opera/9.10 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en)
Pu7o
Macfox
Macfox

Postby Ginkan » Thu 22 Mar, 2007 7:22 am

the screen shot show that NS9 is "Netscape" NOT "Netscape Browser" anymore... is that mean Mail will be back in NS9?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20060912 Netscape/8.1.2
Ginkan

Postby Antony » Thu 22 Mar, 2007 7:43 am

Ginkan wrote:the screen shot show that NS9 is "Netscape" NOT "Netscape Browser" anymore... is that mean Mail will be back in NS9?
They just simplify the name I guess.
Technically speaking, Netscape 9 will be a heavily customised Firefox. Or uses Firefox's codebase. Therefore, this is a standalone browser, no mail component.
Last edited by Antony on Thu 22 Mar, 2007 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Thu 22 Mar, 2007 9:13 am

Someone enlighten me on Netscape. What is AOL's point? intention? agenda? Who really cares about Netscape anymore? As you say, Antony, it's just a customized Firefox and how can it possibly stay abreast of updates and security fixes unless it is constantly riding on the coat tails of Firefox? It has a few developers...right? Big deal. If a powerhouse like MS can't keep up with updates, what makes AOL think it can? Firefox is open to the world community and it seems to me that it is in a better position to get out fixes at a quicker pace. I no longer really understand the entire situation with Netscape/Firefox/Seamonkey. Is AOL going to continue development of NS 8 with its dual rendering engine or will NS 9 end this? It's all a jumbled mess and it seems to be counter-productive. Opera is Opera. Internet Explorer is MS's browser offering. Netscape is????? (a friggin' mess)

So, will we all run to embrace NS 9? And we will use what for our mail? Thunderbird? Netscape 7? Eudora? Just forget about POP mail and have a web account? It's crazy from my perspective.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape