Netscape Browser 8.0.4 released

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Netscape 8 SUCKS

Postby Walnut » Tue 08 Nov, 2005 7:13 pm

Wow, i've never seen a browser when you open 8 or more windows at a time freeze & shut down. Way to go, another crap software release.
Can't anyone put out something that actually works ???
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/0.10.1
Walnut

Postby Pu7o » Tue 08 Nov, 2005 8:07 pm

Yes, some people still create software that works, although that's becoming old and outdated. Broken software is "the thing to do" in these days.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/417.1
Pu7o
Macfox
Macfox

Hello I'm new.

Postby Folismeh » Tue 15 Nov, 2005 4:47 pm

Greetings, I'm new to this boards. I picked this board's scent thanks to Google, in a search for finding solutions to Netscape 8.0.4 problems. The problem is that after updating from 8.0.3 my Tabs/Bookmarks and other things are undetected by Netscape, BUT the Profile folder with the settings is still there in
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Netscape\NSB\Profiles

Whatever do I have to do to get 8.0.4 recognize my settings? Any help would be appreciated!
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20051012 Netscape/8.0.4
Folismeh

re Files overwritten by the 8.0.4 upgrade

Postby macallan1824 » Wed 16 Nov, 2005 6:55 am

Folismeh wrote:Whatever do I have to do to get 8.0.4 recognize my settings? Any help would be appreciated!
Unfortunately in some situations the 8.0.4 upgrade overwrote some profile files (prefs.js and localstore.rdf) that stored your toolbar config and other preferences, eg tab settings, and especially those for any extensions you may have had installed.

If you don't have a backup, I'm afraid there is no way to recover the previous files, you'll have customise the toolbar & tab settings again.

I haven't come across the upgrade altering your bookmarks (bookmarks.html in your profile folder). To check, if you click on the bookmark file in your profile folder, it should load into a browser and then you can see whether it contains your original bookmarks or not.

Next, start NS8, press F9 and choose Bookmarks from the sidebar list, what do you get here.....? It should be the same list as you got above, just formattted better.

Whatever, you should feedback your upgrade problems to the NS folks to ensure future upgrades don't have a similiar feature. Click here for the bug submission page
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20051012 Netscape/8.0.4
Last edited by macallan1824 on Wed 16 Nov, 2005 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
macallan1824

Postby north450 » Sun 20 Nov, 2005 10:26 pm

> Flash Player 8 is recommended for use on 450 MHz
> Intel Pentium II processor (or equivalent) and
> later. You can, however, try if it will work on your
> machine but we cannot guarantee anything since your
> machine is below the system requirements.

email received from macromedia.
the new version comes bundled with 8 and stll they say the min requirements are a pen 233
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; en) Opera 8.50
north450

Postby Antony » Mon 21 Nov, 2005 7:56 pm

north450 wrote:> Flash Player 8 is recommended for use on 450 MHz
> Intel Pentium II processor (or equivalent) and
> later. You can, however, try if it will work on your
> machine but we cannot guarantee anything since your
> machine is below the system requirements.

email received from macromedia.
the new version comes bundled with 8 and stll they say the min requirements are a pen 233
According to [sdt=10262]Exploit code to Flash DoS security vulnerability released[/sdt], it is recommended that you upgrade Flash the came with Netscape 8.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/416.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/416.12
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby north450 » Wed 23 Nov, 2005 10:46 pm

found this link for older systems.
Flash Player upgrade for operating systems that do not support Flash Player 8
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowl ... d=d9c2fe33
Thanks Antony for the feedback on the vulnerability.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; en) Opera 8.51
north450

Postby Minilik » Fri 27 Jul, 2007 5:35 pm

DJGM wrote:Maybe Netscape 8.x.x will only ever be for Windows only. I'm hoping that after SeaMonkey (the internet
application suite formerly known as Mozilla) has gone "gold", that Netscape goes back to being a cross
platform app-suite, built upon SeaMonkey, like Netscape 7.x was built upon the Mozilla App-Suite.

IMHO, while it's built upon a bastardization of Firefox, Netscape 8.x is little more than a very bad joke.

Yo Antony...

Remember all that flack and topic lock that you and James gave me for allegedly imagining that I saw someplace that Netscape 9 was supposed to be a Suite when it comes out?

Well I found this splash screen when I was googling for any medium sized images with "Netscape" as only the keyword and then I found THIS URL: (CLICK ME) which lead me straight here to YOUR OWN board.

IE: So even YOUR OWN forum was foretelling of Netscape 9 as a SUITE!

I will be gracious enough to accept your forthcoming apology, sir, for having doubted that I ever saw anything that ever said Netscape 9 would be a suite, sir. Now I have seen 2 things and you already had seen this one BEFORE you ever gave me all that flack! Just look at the date of DJGM's original post. Now look at the date I came along. You cant deny you saw it here before I ever came to your forum. And if you think I set this up just look at my IP address and then at his. He and I are 2 different people who never ran into each other before this moment. It's not a setup. You just forgot that he had posted this back then. I am sure you saw it because you posted on the very same page!

I rest my case. Sorry for the egg facial but I had to clear my name since you guys tried to make out as if I made it up from my own imagination.

Dont worry I wont clog your forum up anymore with that subject. My OWN "Why Netscape 9 beta sucks" forum will suffice for that. I got your point loud and clear that I am not welcome to discuss NS9 subjects on SD. I only posted this reply to vindicate myself. And if I may say so myself, it has done so to the fullest.

PS: In my own imperfect past I have found that a nice light-bodied white wine goes best with crow. Bon apatite'.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8.1.5) Gecko/20070716 SeaMonkey/1.1.3
Last edited by Minilik on Fri 27 Jul, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Minilik

Postby Antony » Fri 27 Jul, 2007 7:15 pm

Minilik wrote:
DJGM wrote:Maybe Netscape 8.x.x will only ever be for Windows only. I'm hoping that after SeaMonkey (the internet
application suite formerly known as Mozilla) has gone "gold", that Netscape goes back to being a cross
platform app-suite, built upon SeaMonkey, like Netscape 7.x was built upon the Mozilla App-Suite.

IMHO, while it's built upon a bastardization of Firefox, Netscape 8.x is little more than a very bad joke.

Yo Antony...

Remember all that flack and topic lock that you and James gave me for allegedly imagining that I saw someplace that Netscape 9 was supposed to be a Suite when it comes out?

Well I found this splash screen when I was googling for any medium sized images with "Netscape" as only the keyword and then I found THIS URL: (CLICK ME) which lead me straight here to YOUR OWN board.

IE: So even YOUR OWN forum was foretelling of Netscape 9 as a SUITE!
Just to clear things up,
SillyDog701 has never stated that Netscape 9 would be a suite.
Members of SillyDog701 are free to post what they hope or wish, however, SillyDog701 does request members to make it clear between the facts and wishes (or rumours).

Perhaps you missed one crucial bit of message...
DJGM said "I'm hoping that", you also quoted in your post above.

As I mentioned in [sdt=13679]another thread[/sdt], we welcome all different opinions, we also ask all our users to be polite and respect others. Aggressive tone is certainly not welcome here.

There are other places you might find them better, such as UFAQ.org (run by Netscape Champions Mr Jay Garcia, also listed in Netscape.com) or MozillaZine's Other Applications and Distributions.

We wish you the best.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.5) Gecko/20070713 Firefox/2.0.0.5
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:58 pm

Hmmm... edited three times no less and he still did not catch the most obvious slip (as well as the spelling errors).

Anyway, time to move to something with more substance. Have a great evening, Antony. You're sharp as ever! :wink:
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.5pre) Gecko/20070710 Firefox/2.0.0.4 Navigator/9.0b2
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby richard mitnick » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 2:11 pm

What's the best way to address this thing?

Well, I suppose, in the end, it would be "who cares?"

SeaMonkey is a suite or not; I only ever used the browser.

Firefox can act sort of like a suite with TBird; or not. I actually did have TBird for a while while Outlook was messed up. But while FF is my default, I never used them in any kind of tandem.

So, a rose is a rose, a horse by any color, you get it, who cares?

Whatever Netscape 9 becomes, it will still be a clone of FF or FF/TBird if they get the mail thing up. And I personally think that Jay Garcia should try to put a move on over at the TBird shop and offer those guys an umbrella, like the Braves grabbing Julio Franco ( I confused him with Jose Valentin a few days ago). They are basically volunteers and can go where ever the resources are that might best help them.

We all know that the real Netscape was modular, so, why not? Again, from 3.0 on, which I actually originally got from my broker, Merrill Lynch, all I ever used was the browser.

One would think that the Mozilla Corp folks would remember that Netscape was modular.

The only thing that this debate is good for is philosophizing or, if you like, navel gazing.

>>RSM

The SeaMonkey browser does have little differences from FF which make it a choice-not-a-choice thing, and, we should be grateful for the differences
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.5) Gecko/20070713 Firefox/2.0.0.5
richard mitnick
diamond member
diamond member

Previous

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape