Netscape is Dead

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Postby jsjag » Sat 10 Jan, 2004 10:25 am

Last week I had discussed AOL's loss of subscribers and that they will need to do something. Well the bohemith AOL is finally flexing and notice the browser. If AOL is supporting a new dial up using NS, who is dying, AOL or NS?

After losing some 2 million subscribers last year, Time Warner's (NYSE: TWX) America Online finally moved. The world's largest ISP yesterday launched a new low-cost dial-up service under the Netscape banner, hoping to keep some of the subscribers who are fleeing to cheaper competitors.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)
jsjag

Postby Edward » Sun 11 Jan, 2004 10:03 am

DJGM wrote:Judging by what we can see at - www.getnetscape.com - I think we can now say that Netscape, as a
maker of web browser applications is permanently dead and buried. Finito. Kaput. Deceased. End of.

Netscape should change the FAQ on that site. The spam e-mail address example they use (using the internet.com domain) should be changed, since internet.com is a valid domain owned by Jupitermedia Corporation.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007
SillyDog701 Moderator
debian - SeaMonkey - Claws Mail
Edward

Postby Josh » Mon 12 Jan, 2004 5:52 am

They should used example.com or .net, or .org. Those three are reserved for docs. See RFC 2606, Section 3.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031208
Josh
SD701 Moderator
User of Safari 4.0.3 on :tiger:
Josh

Postby marcoos » Thu 18 Mar, 2004 1:48 pm

More brand necrophilia.

A new Netscape Toolbar for Internet Explorer with pop-up blocking from your friends at America Online, a Time Warner company. :)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040318 Firefox/0.8.0+ (marcoos)
marcoos

Postby Jeffredo » Thu 18 Mar, 2004 9:29 pm

I installed it M$ Explorer for the heck of it. I only use it for Windows updates anyway. Gives me a little satisfaction to see "Netscape" and the green "N" promenently displayed on a toolbar in IE! :lol:
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)
Jeffredo

Postby Jeffredo » Thu 18 Mar, 2004 9:54 pm

DJGM wrote:Judging by what we can see at - www.getnetscape.com - I think we can now say that Netscape, as a
maker of web browser applications is permanently dead and buried. Finito. Kaput. Deceased. End of.

At least they had the decency (if that's possible) to show Netscape 7.1 as the browser in the advert for the ISP service. Cold comfort. :(
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)
Jeffredo

Postby DJGM » Mon 05 Apr, 2004 6:39 pm

Even though the "Save The Netscape Browser" petition has received 1500+ signatures, despite the
good intentions of those behind the petition, as far as I'm concerned, sadly, it has ultimately failed.

Considering the recent news, it seems as though I may have spoke a bit too soon there!

I wonder if getnetscape.com will also be used to advertise the new Netscape browser
when it's eventually released, rather than being just a front end for the Netscape ISP?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040316
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
Windows Internet Explorer = Old Swiss Cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Jeffredo » Mon 05 Apr, 2004 7:52 pm

Your conclusion was perfectly understandable! Looking back at the developments of last summer - the firing of Netscape browser developers, the spinning off of The Mozilla Foundation, the removal of the Netscape logos from the Mt. View headquarters building, all of this hot on the heels of the AOL settlement with MS didn't leave much room for doubt! The Netscape browser appeared dead. I wish AOL/Netscape would just have said "from cost benefit standpoint we are going to close our browser development dept., but still release updated Netscape browsers based on each stable release of open source Mozilla browser." I would have had a lot more respect for them being upfront about it (what I just said is conjecture, but I've a feeling it's fairly close to the truth). I think the loyal users of the Netscape browser deserved more information about the company's strategies. They didn't lead us to believe anything but "Netscape is Dead"!
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax) (CK-SillyDog)
Jeff
Jeffredo

Postby DJGM » Tue 06 Apr, 2004 6:44 pm

marcoos wrote:More brand necrophilia.

A new Netscape Toolbar for Internet Explorer with pop-up
blocking from your friends at AOL, a Time Warner company. :)

This may have been "brand necrophilia" up until a couple of weeks ago, but since the powers
that be over at AOL (a TimeWarner Company) have recently decided to revive development
of the Netscape browser based upon Mozilla, the aforementioned NS toolbar for IE could
actually be a good thing. Essentially, it could well promote a decent amount of brand
awareness for Netscape, among the many Internet Explorer users that've probably
never even heard of Netscape before, at least as a browser maker.

If a decent number of IE users install the Netscape Toolbar, once the upcoming new version
of the Netscape browser suite finally hits the streets, there's no knowing exactly how many
of them would be willing to try Netscape as an alternative to, or even a replacement for IE.

This is a case where brand awareness could easily become brand loyalty, for many potential
new users of Netscape, who have never browsed beyond the insecure boundaries of MSIE.

UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040316
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby DJGM » Thu 08 Apr, 2004 5:13 pm

Considering the recent news, the title of this thread could do with being changed to . . .

Netscape is dead . . . or so we thought!

or

Netscape . . . not dead, just resting!

Any other suggestions, while we eagerly await the upcoming new Netscape upgrade?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Edward » Thu 08 Apr, 2004 6:58 pm

I'm a believer in brand awareness.

Is the Netscape toolbar for IE actually worth a look?

Just thought of something. If the toolbar is used to perform a search, does it take the user to the Netscape web site, where they could also download the Netscape browser?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113
SillyDog701 Moderator
Edward

Postby marcoos » Fri 09 Apr, 2004 5:38 pm

DJGM - maybe the title should be "Reports of Netscape's death were slightly exaggerated"? :)

Edward - search results from Netscape toolbar are the ones from the http://search.netscape.com/ service, so indeed, at the bottom of the page there's a "Download Netscape 7.1" link.

It isn't as visible as it could be, though.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; pl-pl) AppleWebKit/85.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/85.7
marcoos

Postby Antony » Fri 09 Apr, 2004 8:11 pm

marcoos wrote:DJGM - maybe the title should be "Reports of Netscape's death were slightly exaggerated"? :)
This thread was started by one of those MozillaZine guys. One of those who believe open-source is the best and must use the latest version of whatever software if available. This thread was started by one of those who hate Netscape all their lives, but love Mozilla (Mozilla Application Suite, Mozilla Firefox, etc) so much. They simply refused to admit the fact that Mozilla Dot Org was founded by Netscape, later America Online, now living on the funding provided by America Online and donation from users. They don't mention the importance of Netscape to Mozilla.

Edit - fix grammar, Admin
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/124 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.1
Last edited by Antony on Fri 09 Apr, 2004 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby DJGM » Fri 09 Apr, 2004 9:18 pm

And to all the Mozilla fans that have always hated Netscape, you need only say one thing . . .

"If Netscape had never freed their source code, Mozilla would not exist . . ."
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Edward » Sat 10 Apr, 2004 8:04 am

DJGM is absolutely correct. The net community should thank Netscape for releasing the code back then.

The Open-Source movement is one of the best things we have today, and a lot of good (e.g. Linux, Mozilla, Gnome, KDE) continues to come out of it.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113
SillyDog701 Moderator
Edward

PreviousNext

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape