Netscape is not really dead

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Netscape is not really dead

Postby samuelp » Thu 17 Jul, 2003 2:15 pm

Please don't count your's chickens before they are hatched !
Remember 1 year ago, a rumor went through internet informing Netscape should be dead.
That was not the casen it was a fake.

I cannot believe that Netscape is really dead. Sun cut off about 100 persons, that does not mean Java is dead.
So wait and see. I must admit Netscade does not have a bright future but please stop your gossip ! We cannot state on the death of Netscape browser before official announcement.

unstick by Admin 12.7.2004
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1
samuelp

Postby Shark Daddy » Thu 17 Jul, 2003 6:07 pm

Netscape is dead. AOL will have fired (and in some cases, moved) all the employees of the Netscape division within two months. All paid AOL work on the Mozilla project is over and Netscape as an innovating company is over. From the look of it, the web portal will stay, but honestly... who cares?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4b) Gecko/20030517 Mozilla Firebird/0.6
Shark Daddy

Postby Antony » Thu 17 Jul, 2003 7:51 pm

Only the browser development division has been frozen. Netscape is still alive, Netscape Network is still alive, and Netscape is still selling/promoting its latest Netscape, Netscape 7.1
See also: AOL lays off Netscape developers (C|net)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02 (CK-SillyDog)
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Fri 18 Jul, 2003 10:42 pm

Following is a very good point from Robert Accettura,
Netscape isn't dead per say... it's just not like it was previously:

Last month, more contributions to code were done by non-netscape programmers.... why would AOLTW pay people when they don't need to?

Now Mozilla Foundation is on it's own (with IP, Assets, trademarks, etc.)...

AOL is free to still develop Netscape based on the code. It takes really only 1 or 2 people a few days to run a patch over the code and brand it as Netscape. The AIM integration is really not a big deal either. It's not widely used either.

So AOL doesn't lose anything by disbanning the Netscape browser team.

The browser is still there. And most likely will be updated, in a while (8.0, perhaps when Firebird matures).

(Please note, those are not official statement, but just like many other blogs from MZ or newsgroups.)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/85 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/85
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Lorraine » Fri 18 Jul, 2003 10:50 pm

And who is Robert Acettura?

-Lorraine
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02
Lorraine
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Shark Daddy » Sat 19 Jul, 2003 12:12 pm

Robert Accettura wrote:Netscape isn't dead per say... it's just not like it was previously:

Last month, more contributions to code were done by non-netscape programmers.... why would AOLTW pay people when they don't need to?

Now Mozilla Foundation is on it's own (with IP, Assets, trademarks, etc.)...

AOL is free to still develop Netscape based on the code. It takes really only 1 or 2 people a few days to run a patch over the code and brand it as Netscape. The AIM integration is really not a big deal either. It's not widely used either.

So AOL doesn't lose anything by disbanning the Netscape browser team.

The browser is still there. And most likely will be updated, in a while (8.0, perhaps when Firebird matures).
Don't count on it.

Netscape was more integral to the Mozilla project than many would like to think. The Mozilla Foundation is not just a 'new beginning' but rather the only choice mozilla.org had when AOL abandoned it. Yes, last month there were slightly more contributions from non-Netscape employees, but that is misleading; first, the nature of those contributions is not structured, and second, Netscape contributions have been going down for the past four months. Remember that those are the figures for only one month.

'Netscape's just sleeping' simply isn't accurate.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4b) Gecko/20030517 Mozilla Firebird/0.6
Shark Daddy

Postby Edward » Sun 20 Jul, 2003 10:16 am

Re: Netscape WebMail

Messages sent at 2:00 PM EDT (-0400) yesterday (Saturday July 19) have yet to be delivered...almost 24 hours later. :(
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux 2.4.20-4GB i586; U) Opera 7.11 [en]
SillyDog701 Moderator
debian - SeaMonkey
Edward

Postby jksteinhauer » Sun 20 Jul, 2003 12:24 pm

All's I have to say is, back when Steve Case ran for the hills I told everyone to LOOK OUT !!! Looks like I was right unfortunately.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030712
jksteinhauer
silver member
silver member

I will not use Outlook never

Postby TEEH » Mon 18 Aug, 2003 4:17 pm

I am and have been a Netscape user since its beginning and will not let Bill gates also take control of my messages.

NETSCAPE IS ALIVE AND WILL LIVE FOREVER. :twisted: :twisted:
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)
Thor Enrique Hedderich
TEEH

Postby Shark Daddy » Fri 22 Aug, 2003 7:07 pm

Looks like we've lost another good HTML person to Opera. First Hixie did it, now Glazman mysteriously disappears to Oslo. Can't blame 'em though. And both of them have made a load of _useful_ Mozilla contributions.

Edit: heh, didn't even realize the Oslo link was to opera.com :(
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030821 Mozilla Firebird/0.6.1+
Shark Daddy

Postby Lorraine » Fri 22 Aug, 2003 9:24 pm

I noticed tonight that a POP UP for Netscape 7.1 is a new pop up which checks your browser to see if you have the latest version.

Of course, I don't so it said I should download Netscape 7.1

Antony, you are correct, someone is still promoting Netscape.

-Lorraine
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02
Lorraine
diamond member
diamond member

Postby wozzar » Sun 24 Aug, 2003 6:25 am

Netscape is not dead. It is still saleable and AOL could sell it to someone like IBM. Or they could just hand it over to Mozilla for free.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02 (CK-SillyDog)
Down with IE.
wozzar

Postby DJGM » Sun 24 Aug, 2003 7:21 am

Lorraine wrote:I noticed tonight that a POP UP for Netscape 7.1 is a new pop up
which checks your browser to see if you have the latest version.

Of course, I don't so it said I should download Netscape 7.1

Antony, you are correct, someone is still promoting Netscape.

-Lorraine

You have "Update Notifications" switched on. This is not AOL promoting the browser they recently culled,
but your copy of Netscape 7.02 automatically checking the Netscape servers to see if any new versions
are available. As Netscape 7.1 is available, your copy of Netscape 7.02 is displaying a dialog box, that
informs you automatically that a new updated version can be downloaded. It is not a web based
promotional popup ad promoting Netscape, but is an actual feature of the browser.

(Go to - Edit - Preferences - Advanced - Software Installation - Update Notifications.)

Netscape 7.1 itself, also has this feature. Even though there won't be any more major Netscape browser
releases, should there be any maintenance updates are posted on the Netscape servers to fix any bugs
and/or security problems that may arise. You'll be automaticall notified of any v7.1.x updates, but it's
very unlikely that any of us will ever be notified of a Netscape 8.0, unless some company buys the
charred remains of Netscape Communications Corporation from AOL. Sadly though, that seems
very unlikely, as even the likely candidates (Sun, IBM, RedHat) haven't stepped forward.

At least Mozilla.org has a better future ahead of it than Netscape does.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (DJGM-i.net)
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
Windows Internet Explorer = Old Swiss Cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby DJGM » Sun 24 Aug, 2003 3:41 pm

DJGM wrote:At least Mozilla.org has a better future ahead of it than Netscape does.

But . . . having said that . . .

A small glimmer of hope perhaps . . . ?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (DJGM-i.net)
SeaMonkey = Swiss Army Knife: It's versatile, reliable, and contains useful tools.
Windows Internet Explorer = Old Swiss Cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Shark Daddy » Sun 24 Aug, 2003 6:10 pm

I think jesus_x misinterpreted that. I believe that's referring to the 4-series, plus there are some Sun employees working on Mozilla. Though it'd be interesting if I'm wrong, as the first I heard of this was at Mnews.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030821 Mozilla Firebird/0.6.1+
Shark Daddy

Next

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape