new iPad (3rd gen) features Retina Display, A5X Chip and 4G

For all tech/computer related or even internet related discussions not covered in other sections. Also iPad, iPhone, iPod, Surface and multimedia discussions.

new iPad (3rd gen) features Retina Display, A5X Chip and 4G

Postby Antony » Wed 07 Mar, 2012 4:32 pm

Image

During today's special Apple Event, Apple introduced the new iPad, the third generation of its category defining mobile device, featuring a stunning new Retina display, Apple’s new A5X chip with quad-core graphics and a 5 megapixel iSight camera with advanced optics for capturing amazing photos and 1080p HD video. iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G connects to fast networks worldwide, including AT&T’s and Verizon’s 4G LTE networks, and still delivers the same all-day 10 hour battery life while remaining amazingly thin and light.

Image
The new iPad’s Retina display delivers four times the number of pixels of iPad 2, so dense that the human eye is unable to distinguish individual pixels when held at a normal distance, making web pages, text, images and video look incredibly sharp and realistic. The 3.1 million pixels in the Retina display are more than one million more pixels than an HD TV, and with 44 percent increased color saturation the new iPad displays colors that are unbelievably richer, deeper and more vivid. Movies are now capable of playing at full 1080p HD-resolution, delivering an incomparable viewing experience on a mobile device.

Image
The powerful new A5X chip with quad-core graphics was specifically designed by Apple to deliver a fast, responsive user experience while supporting the incredible Retina display. With double the graphics performance of the A5 chip, the A5X provides a superb balance between performance and power efficiency so users can enjoy all the benefits of the stunning new display while experiencing a smooth Multi-Touch interface, immersive gameplay, incredible visual depth and all-day battery life that iPad is known for delivering.

Image
iPad Wi-Fi + 4G with built-in next generation 4G LTE has the most comprehensive support for fast networks worldwide including HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA, and now both CDMA and GSM iPad users have the ability to easily roam internationally. The world-ready iPad delivers blazing download and upload speeds so web pages load incredibly quickly and email with large attachments can be sent and received easily. Personal Hotspot can be used to share the fast network connection on your iPad with up to 5 other devices using Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or USB.

Image

The new iPad will be available in USA, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Switzerland, UK and the US Virgin Islands on Friday, 16 March. The new iPad Wi-Fi models have a suggested retail price of $499 (US) for the 16GB model, $599 (US) for the 32GB model and $699 (US) for the 64GB model. iPad Wi-Fi + 4G for either AT&T or Verizon will be available for a suggested retail price of $629 (US) for the 16GB model, $729 (US) for the 32GB model and $829 (US) for the 64GB model.

In Australia, iPad Wi-Fi are priced at
A$ 539.00 (16 GB), A$ 649.00 (32 GB), A$ 759.00 (64 GB).
iPad Wi-Fi with 4G are priced at
A$ 679.00 (16 GB), A$ 789.00 (32 GB), A$ 899.00 (64 GB).
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; en-US; rv:1.9.2.27) Gecko/20120216 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.27
User avatar
Antony
diamond member
diamond member
 
Posts: 15167
Joined: Tue 18 Jun, 2002 11:36 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: new iPad (3rd gen) features Retina Display, A5X Chip and

Postby Mandrake » Thu 08 Mar, 2012 12:51 am

Interesting. I'm disappointed that they didn't include a widescreen format screen though. The 4:3 aspect ratio isn't ideal for watching video content.

I am after a tablet, so its something worth considering.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.1; en-au; Galaxy Nexus Build/ITL41F) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) CrMo/16.0.912.77 Mobile Safari/535.7
Core i7 920 | ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 | 3TB+ HDD | 12GB Corsair DDR3 | Radeon 4890 Xfire | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Logitech Z-5500 Speakers | Dell 3008WFP | Seven RC1
User avatar
Mandrake
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Fri 13 Sep, 2002 6:35 am

Re: new iPad (3rd gen) features Retina Display, A5X Chip and

Postby James » Thu 08 Mar, 2012 10:27 am

I thought they might put the ipad2 on sale but evidently not for at least six months. So there is no point in buy "new" ipad2's... you might as well go for the latest since both will be the same price. Even though my wife has an ipad2 and I have a Kindle Fire, I'm still thinking seriously about grabbing an ipad3. I think I will wait for a while to see what people say about it. I don't need to have one by the 16th.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.2
James
User avatar
James
diamond member
diamond member
 
Posts: 3129
Joined: Sat 13 Jul, 2002 12:10 am

Re: new iPad (3rd gen) features Retina Display, A5X Chip and

Postby Mandrake » Thu 08 Mar, 2012 1:38 pm

James wrote:I thought they might put the ipad2 on sale but evidently not for at least six months. So there is no point in buy "new" ipad2's... you might as well go for the latest since both will be the same price. Even though my wife has an ipad2 and I have a Kindle Fire, I'm still thinking seriously about grabbing an ipad3. I think I will wait for a while to see what people say about it. I don't need to have one by the 16th.


The iPad 2 was reduced in price by $100. The 16GB WiFi model is $399 USD now.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.2
Core i7 920 | ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 | 3TB+ HDD | 12GB Corsair DDR3 | Radeon 4890 Xfire | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Logitech Z-5500 Speakers | Dell 3008WFP | Seven RC1
User avatar
Mandrake
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Fri 13 Sep, 2002 6:35 am

Re: new iPad (3rd gen) features Retina Display, A5X Chip and

Postby Antony » Thu 08 Mar, 2012 6:49 pm

Mandrake wrote:Interesting. I'm disappointed that they didn't include a widescreen format screen though. The 4:3 aspect ratio isn't ideal for watching video content.

Just get the new Apple TV (3rd generation, available 16 March) and you can AirPlay video streaming to your 60-inch television at 1080p resolution. Or video mirroring to your 60-inch television also at 1080p resolution with Apple Digital AV Adapter.

Apart from video, I don't think 16:9 is very suitable for many other usages.

Also, Telstra's 4G network (Australia's only 4G network, we are not living in Don's beautiful Boston) might not be compatible with the new iPad's 4G.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; en-US; rv:1.9.2.27) Gecko/20120216 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.27
User avatar
Antony
diamond member
diamond member
 
Posts: 15167
Joined: Tue 18 Jun, 2002 11:36 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: new iPad (3rd gen) features Retina Display, A5X Chip and

Postby Mandrake » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 4:29 am

Antony wrote:
Mandrake wrote:Interesting. I'm disappointed that they didn't include a widescreen format screen though. The 4:3 aspect ratio isn't ideal for watching video content.

Just get the new Apple TV (3rd generation, available 16 March) and you can AirPlay video streaming to your 60-inch television at 1080p resolution. Or video mirroring to your 60-inch television also at 1080p resolution with Apple Digital AV Adapter.

Apart from video, I don't think 16:9 is very suitable for many other usages.

Also, Telstra's 4G network (Australia's only 4G network, we are not living in Don's beautiful Boston) might not be compatible with the new iPad's 4G.


A large portion of the reason I'd purchase a tablet is to watch videos while lazing around in bed or whatever. I can already watch video just fine on my PC or TV, or even my phone. I run PS3 Media Server on my PC that can serve all my video/audio easily. It's DLNA compatible so it works fine with my PS3 or Xbox 360, with my phone and would work great with a tablet too.

I also read it won't work with Telstra's LTE network. Since I'm a penny-pincher I just want a WiFi tablet though. :)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.2
Core i7 920 | ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 | 3TB+ HDD | 12GB Corsair DDR3 | Radeon 4890 Xfire | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Logitech Z-5500 Speakers | Dell 3008WFP | Seven RC1
User avatar
Mandrake
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Fri 13 Sep, 2002 6:35 am

Re: new iPad (3rd gen) features Retina Display, A5X Chip and

Postby James » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 10:18 am

My wife and I had a long discussion about my getting an ipad3. Since she already has an ipad2 and I have the Kindle Fire, I've decided to hold off on yet another tablet and will opt for an ultra book later in the year. Some are nearly as slim and light and while costing a bit more will give me the tactile feedback on the attached keyboard that I need to type properly.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.2
James
User avatar
James
diamond member
diamond member
 
Posts: 3129
Joined: Sat 13 Jul, 2002 12:10 am

Re: new iPad (3rd gen) features Retina Display, A5X Chip and

Postby Antony » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 7:03 pm

Mandrake wrote:I also read it won't work with Telstra's LTE network. Since I'm a penny-pincher I just want a WiFi tablet though. :)

I did not know that you were a “penny-pincher.” (Remember, Antony is poor.) If you travel a bit, a 3G or 4G is the way to go. You don't want to have limited functions when outside.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; en-US; rv:1.9.2.27) Gecko/20120216 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.27
User avatar
Antony
diamond member
diamond member
 
Posts: 15167
Joined: Tue 18 Jun, 2002 11:36 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: new iPad (3rd gen) features Retina Display, A5X Chip and

Postby Antony » Mon 12 Mar, 2012 1:43 am

James wrote:My wife and I had a long discussion about my getting an ipad3. Since she already has an ipad2 and I have the Kindle Fire, I've decided to hold off on yet another tablet and will opt for an ultra book later in the year. Some are nearly as slim and light and while costing a bit more will give me the tactile feedback on the attached keyboard that I need to type properly.

I don't type much on iPad. On screen typing works, but it's not a proper keyboard.

Some people just carry an Apple Wireless Keyboard (or third party one) with them, but I see those keyboards will make iPad not that portable.

As for an ultra portable notebook, the ultra portable is the way to go. (Unless you are Don.) After using my 11-inch MacBook Air, I found my previous 15-inch MacBook Pro or 12-inch PowerBook G4 were both way too heavy.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; en-US; rv:1.9.2.27) Gecko/20120216 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.27
User avatar
Antony
diamond member
diamond member
 
Posts: 15167
Joined: Tue 18 Jun, 2002 11:36 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: new iPad (3rd gen) features Retina Display, A5X Chip and

Postby Antony » Fri 16 Mar, 2012 1:48 am

Got mine today!

Image

(to Don: Antony is poor.)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; en-US; rv:1.9.2.28) Gecko/20120306 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.28
User avatar
Antony
diamond member
diamond member
 
Posts: 15167
Joined: Tue 18 Jun, 2002 11:36 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia


Return to General Computing, Gadgets and Tech

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]