Not Dawn

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

Not Dawn

Postby Vegstan » Fri 30 Dec, 2011 2:04 am

Dawn is crashing when trying to read a 1.6MB .mab file. No answer to my emails from the author.

So can someone please refer me to another program, free or not, that can convert mab files.

Alternatively does anyone know a better way to get an answer from the author?

Many thanks,

Stan
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3
Vegstan

Re: Not Dawn

Postby Antony » Fri 30 Dec, 2011 4:53 am

Is .mab the address book file?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; en-US; rv:1.9.2.25) Gecko/20111212 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.14 Firefox/3.6.25
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Vegstan » Fri 30 Dec, 2011 10:29 am

Yes.

Stan
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3
Vegstan

Postby Fulvio » Fri 30 Dec, 2011 1:13 pm

I have not used Dawn in years, and I don't think that it is supported. But, I did a simple Search, for
.mab files
, and came up with a lot of hits. .mab files should be converted to the .ldif format.
But, what kind of files do you have? There are address book file, of the type abook.mab, then imported address book files, of the type impab.mab. The only one file, about 0.6 MB is history.mab. I don't know what it is, and I don't care. My real address book files are pretty small, as I don't like to go through a pile of addresses.
What kind of file do you want to read? And,why do you want to read it, and why is it so large?

Look, also, at this
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20111221 Firefox/9.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.6.1
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.25, FF28, Google Chrome 34, TB24.4, IE8.0, , Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, Win 8.1, IE11.
Fulvio

Postby Vegstan » Fri 30 Dec, 2011 2:27 pm

Dear Fulvio,

Thanks for your reply.

The file is an abook.mab from Netscape 7.2. Netscape can not find it so I want to convert to .csv for Outlook.

Thanks,

Stan
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3
Vegstan

Postby Fulvio » Sat 31 Dec, 2011 12:58 pm

Aside from the fact that Netscape 7.2 has not been supported, for years (
Tom Drapeau, director of AOL's Netscape Brand, announced that the company would stop supporting Netscape software products as of March 1, 2008
, what do you mean that NS cannot find the file? Do you mean that if you are in Netscape Mail, you do not see any address book? Do you see the file on your hard drive?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20111221 Firefox/9.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.6.1
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.25, FF28, Google Chrome 34, TB24.4, IE8.0, , Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, Win 8.1, IE11.
Fulvio

Postby Vegstan » Sat 31 Dec, 2011 2:09 pm

Fulvio,

Knowing that Netscape is not supported I (actually my wife) is moving to Outlook. The address book file got lost by Netscape when my wife missinterpreted a message and deleted her account and creaqted a new one with a new name. I have located an old, but adequate address book file on a backup drive and was trying to use Dawn to convert it to .csv when Dawn crashed.

thanks,

Stan
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
Vegstan

Postby James » Sat 31 Dec, 2011 4:52 pm

Outlook is an awesome e-mail program without a doubt. But it's more business oriented. I have it on my computer here at home and we use it at my place of employment. But for personal e-mail, she might be better advised to look at Windows Live Mail, part of the Windows Live Essentials package found here:

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-es ... rams?T1=t2
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby PaulD » Sat 31 Dec, 2011 6:36 pm

Outline of Address Books. Confirmed in Thunderbird 2. Probably valid in other TB versions, and in Netscape 7 also.

The prefs.js contains the linkages between the xxx.mab file ids and the labels that one sees when looking at the Address Books.

There are two standard Address Books that are created when the Mail Profile is created:
- Personal Address Book is named abook.mab
- Collected Addresses is named history.mab
- See this also for TB.
- See this also for NS.

Other user-created address books are named abook-1.mab, abook-2.mab, . . . abook-n.mab.
Address books that have been creatied by importation are named impab.mab, impab-1.mab, . . . impab-n.mab.
--- (This may apply only to Thunderbird, I don't see it mentioned in NS documentation.)
Prefs.js also has a mention of a default.mab. This appears to be a model (template) for the creation of new ABs.

I have over 25 address books, and found it confusing to track which mab was which named book. I renamed each mab (from abook-n or impab-n) to the address book name. But to make this work, I also had to modify the prefs.js.

Here is a representative set - there are six lines involved - of the prefs.js lines associated with each address book. (Note - does not apply to the two standard mab-s named above.)
= = = = = = = =
user_pref("ldap_2.servers.Riverside.description", "Riverside");
user_pref("ldap_2.servers.Riverside.dirType", 2);
user_pref("ldap_2.servers.Riverside.filename", "Riverside.mab");
user_pref("ldap_2.servers.Riverside.isOffline", false);
user_pref("ldap_2.servers.Riverside.protocolVersion", "2");
user_pref("ldap_2.servers.Riverside.replication.lastChangeNumber", 0);
= = = = = = = = =
line 1 - The description is the name as one sees it when looking at the Address Books.
line 3 - the filename is the actual disk file id, as seen in Explorer (or by a DIR). (See also the Note below.)
all lines - the servers.xxxx appears to be an internal linkage (control block) name to keep the set of definition lines associated together. For convenience I set all names to be the same.
Note: Interestingly, it turns out that the file extensions do not have to be mab: they can be anything, or even null. But in order to be able quickly to identify which files in the profile are in fact address books, I left them as mab-s.

Now, to address Stan's situation. Suggested procedure.
For either Netscape or Thunderbird - (this 'should' work for both).
With NS (or TB) not open, in the Mail (if TB) profile -
1. Copy the prefs.js as a backup.
2. Copy the [old, but adequate address book.mab] file, and name it good.mab
- If you want to name it Riverside.mab you'll be able directly to use a Copy/Paste from this post!
3. Edit prefs.js. Use either Notepad or WordPad.
4. Locate where the ldap_2.servers lines are.
5. Copy/Paste insert the six lines given above. Be sure to keep existing groups-of-6 together.
- If you named your mab as Riverside (step 2), you're done. Otherwise, change the description and filename lines to match.
6. File
7. Open NS (or TB)
8. You should find your 'Good' or 'Riverside' address book.
9. Then Export it into whatever format you need.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
PaulD
diamond member
diamond member

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape