NS 7.0 user report/feedback

This section is for storing good and useful posts for referencing. This section is read only, if you have any questions, please ask in appropriate sections.

NS 7

Postby lonestarone » Thu 13 Feb, 2003 11:23 am

Important: The directory Application Data may be hidden on some Windows platforms (such as Windows 2000 and XP). If this is the case, the user should follow these steps to see it:
1. Open the View menu for the Mozilla directory and choose Options.
2. Click the View tab.
3. Under Hidden Options, click "Show all files".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks-Profman,
Appreciate your reply. I'm not understanding the above? How do I follow your instructions above? I don't see options tab on any NS folder?
If I C/P the entire URL provided on the page under XP, a box pops up can't find the info. doesn't exist or on another drive/CD, etc. I'm using two accounts; admin. rights and limited user - which is the one I use for all work and interneting. I was told to do that when I set XP up. NOT to use the computer in admin. rights for security reasons.

I noticed in this original post - someone mentioned nesting netscape?
I have that in win. explorer, two folders netscape/netscape. The second has all the folders. Is that a problem?
This was so simple in win95b...Everything was just "there!!" Never had a problem finding anything. I really don't like the find files feature in XP!! Often, I can't find files I know exist and I do have "show all files" checked.

Thanks for your help.
John
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0 (CK-SillyDog)
L~one
lonestarone

Postby profman » Thu 13 Feb, 2003 2:49 pm

I have had no experience with Win XP, but, at this moment, am using Win 2000 which is similar to XP. Most Windows OSs are set up to "hide" certain files from you. You must unhide the profile directory of Mozilla in order for you to see it, so you have to change a Window's setting, not change a Netscape setting. I open up Windows Explorer, click on "Tools", then on "Folder Options." I then open up the "View" tab. I want to see ALL files and folders, so I select the option, "Show hidden files and folders." I, personally, also unselect the options, "Hide file extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected operating system files," although this last change can put you at some risk if you are careless.

You can not directly use the path on the "locations" page that I referred you to since each individual will have a different "salted" directory name and different profile names. My profile is in the directory named similar to:

C:\Documents and Settings\profman\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\kqlt0do2.slt

Here my user name would be "profman", my profile name "default," and my salted directory is "kqlt0do2.slt."

Netscape normally places itself in the C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape directory. This is NOT a real problem and need not be changed.

I'm still abit fuzzy on how to work with rights, but my University machine has me set up as a "Power User" which allows me to make most changes. You might ask someone how to change your user account from "limited user" to "power user," although that may not be a relevant issue here for Netscape.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20021120 Netscape/7.01 (CK-profman)
profman, the mad chemist
Moderator of SillyDog Forums
User of Thunderbird & Firefox
Try Forum Search
profman

Postby vicki2t » Fri 14 Feb, 2003 6:03 pm

Mr. Tinkles wrote:Greetings and Welcome to SillyDog701 Vicki2t!

One of the beauties of the SillyDog701 Streamlined installation of Netscape v7.01 is that you actually have the option to NOT install integrated AIM/ICQ. ...........

Netscape 7.01 Streamline and Stand-alone

Wow, thanks! I had no idea you had such a version, I found your list while doing a sarch on 'uninstall AIM Netscape 7', so I've downloaded it and it's on my list for this weekend, but I have a question. How will I be able to uninstall the other since it's in a folder called 'Netscape 7' which is not possible in the uninstall. It assumes the default directory which is editable on installation... hmmm, haven't checked the Windows Add/Remove programs, maybe that will work... but I do want to save my settings and all that, so will I want to just install over the same Netscape 7 directory anyway?
So are these emotiocons available from within Netsape mail per chance? or would that require the integrated AIM ? :P (by the way I tried coloring, bolding this text but each time I selected the color or button, it deselected the text in this box! this has never happened to me before so dunno if it's the page or Netscape? I think I launched it from the link in my email.... It sould not insert smiley when I tried either... but it works when I type a":" and "P", and then a ";" and ")" - ;-)
Have a great day...and be sure to buy your cat some Sushi!
He thanks you for that, to think I was keeping it all to myself!
Thanks again,
Vicki
:? .. .. (and here's where it recognizes a "'
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20021120 Netscape/7.01
vicki2t

Postby Mr. Tinkles » Sat 15 Feb, 2003 4:21 pm

vicki2t wrote:Wow, thanks! I had no idea you had such a version, I found your list while doing a sarch on 'uninstall AIM Netscape 7', so I've downloaded it and it's on my list for this weekend, but I have a question. How will I be able to uninstall the other since it's in a folder called 'Netscape 7' which is not possible in the uninstall. It assumes the default directory which is editable on installation... hmmm, haven't checked the Windows Add/Remove programs, maybe that will work... but I do want to save my settings and all that, so will I want to just install over the same Netscape 7 directory anyway?
So are these emotiocons available from within Netsape mail per chance? or would that require the integrated AIM ? :P (by the way I tried coloring, bolding this text but each time I selected the color or button, it deselected the text in this box! this has never happened to me before so dunno if it's the page or Netscape? I think I launched it from the link in my email.... It sould not insert smiley when I tried either... but it works when I type a":" and "P", and then a ";" and ")" - ;-)

Actually, I don't distribute this version (Streamlined Netscape). That credit goes to Antony, the head honcho here at SillyDog701 :).

You should be able to just uninstall the normal Netscape 7 installation via add/remove, then install Netscape Streamline v7.01 just fine. It should pick up your profile and all of your settings no problem (uninstalling Netscape does not remove the profiles).

If by "these emoticons" you are referring to all the ones here at SillyDog701, no they are not all available in Netscape. Netscape has a small collection of I believe 7 icons. And NIM is not required to make them available...just compose your email in HTML format and you will have a drop-down option of the emoticons.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20021120 Netscape/7.01 (CK-SillyDog)
I was born by God's dear grace in extraordinary place
Where the Stars and Stripes and the Eagle flies.
Mr. Tinkles

the ONLY problem i have with Netscape is

Postby chalkmonkey » Sun 23 Feb, 2003 6:26 am

:? hi, i was hoping you'd ask... i've never had this problem with any of the other Netscapes i've used: i can't "save image as" or "save page as" - can't save anything as a matter of fact! anybody else have this problem? anybody know of a way to resolve it? thanks!
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02
chalkmonkey

Postby Mandrake » Sun 23 Feb, 2003 6:38 am

If people want Netscape 7.02, DJGM-I Distro's can install AIM and Email seperately, as Streamline 7.01 can. Those DJGM distros are avalible at Club Netscape.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.3b) Gecko/20030221
Mandrake

Wish list... for NS...

Postby howdydooit » Mon 07 Apr, 2003 10:37 am

I hope I haven't missed any of these in the thread so far - and apologize if I am repeating something! This is such a great service!

OK - 1) I really prefer the ability to hold down the forward/back buttons to get the history list as opposed to the IE style of a drop down list. It would be fine to keep the IE function, but I like the fact that in 4.77, you can do more functions from one button, rather than having to navigate with 2 buttons per direction. As a side note, my elderly parents are not as adept at mouse navigation, so hitting a small button like the drop down arrow is a little humorous to watch.

2) Why can't the bookmark lists wrap????? I just cloned my wife's profile over from 4.78 and she immediately said she wanted to go back to 4.78.

I find long lists a lot more difficult to navigate myself.

3) When saving a bookmark, I appreciate the improvements over 6.0, but still - 4.7x has one better feature. Dragging a bookmark to a specific folder and putting it in the order you want it to appear is better than clicking on the URL icon and having to navigate the folder list - and still only adding the bookmark to the end of the list in that folder. Also - the default size for the folder list window is tiny (even though you can drag the edges to increase it's size).

4) An improvement I have noticed from 7.01 to 7.02 is that I don't have to keep re-entering my password as often in newsgroups. Now it's only sporadic, as opposed to continuously giving me popup prompts to enter my password and user name. Password manager was apparently not working at all before in this one area. It still isn't perfect, though.

5) Lastly - why doesn't the "add new tab" icon appear when you set the browser default to hiding the tab row when only one page is present? Even if you want the tab row hidden, you still might want to open some new tabs. It is still more convenient to add a tab from the icon on the Personal Toolbar than it is to go to the file menu, or in some cases, a keyboard shortcut.

All in all - NS 7.02 is such an improvement over 6 (had to kill 6 - it was terrible) that I can put up with these minor points. (Except the bookmark list wrapping - that has to be prioroty #1)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20021120 Netscape/7.01 (CK-SillyDog)
howdydooit

Postby Wellander » Fri 18 Apr, 2003 4:41 pm

Hii,
It is ok.
I think that communicator is still better.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.75 [en]C-CCK-MCD BDP81800 (Windows NT 5.0; U)
Wellander
diamond member
diamond member

how to recover lost email accounts and folders?

Postby Balázs » Sun 27 Apr, 2003 12:31 pm

Hi, actually I discovered that sevaral people was facing the same problem, but I could not find a solution amongh the replies.

When I started Netscacep today I could not find my mail account settings and my folders (NETSCAPE 7.02). It behaves just like after a fresh clean install. It is really frightening because all my 4 years mail stuff is gone if I cannot recover it. Maybe the problem has to do with the amount of mails. Is there a step by step guide how to remake the profile? Please HELP !!!!!
p.s. I think this is a serious bug in Netscape 7 !
Thanks in advance :
Balázs Hegedüs
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)
Balázs

Uh oh!!!!!!!

Postby penwynd » Sat 03 May, 2003 8:04 pm

I have been having the SAME problem since the SAME date! I can not find anything and I'm tired of having to reintiate all my email accounts everyday too. I have used Netscape over IE for YEARS and never had this happen.
Help!
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02
penwynd

Netscape 7

Postby hudor » Sat 24 May, 2003 9:34 pm

I stopped using Netscape when it started geting buggy toward the later versions of Netscape 4. A guy I know on an email list mentioned that Netscape 7 was actually stable again, so I've run it on and off, along with various versions of Mozilla, for the past several months.

At the risk of getting run out of town :), I also use IE at least half the time. It's still marginally more stable, and it integrates with certain software I have on my computer that doesn't work so well with Netscape. Also, IE doesn't need plug-ins!

I love the Netscape/Mozilla email client; I can't wait for Thunderbird to come out in a stable release. But there's an ongoing bug in Mozilla/Netscape that's been around forever, and remains unfixed: Biff, the software thingee that checks your email accounts when you log on, actually only checks the first account. If you have more than one POP account, as I do (one for email groups, and the other for my personal email), you have to check the second manually. This strikes me as a serious enough bug that by now it should have been fixed.

Also, half the time when I try to change the colors on My Netscape using NS 7, the program freezes up. This doesn't happen with Mozilla 1.3.1. On the other hand, NS7 has a spell-checker, and Mozilla doesn't.

All in all, I feel that I have a choice of browsers again, and that's great. I was a dyed-in-the-wool Netscape man back in the early Netscape 4 days, and while I still think IE is a better browser, I keep both on my computer. Even with the Biff bug, Netscape 7 Mail is so much better an email client than Outlook Express that it isn't close.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02 (CK-SillyDog)
hudor
hudor

Postby Antony » Mon 30 Jun, 2003 2:19 pm

Since Netscape 7.1 is now released, please use Netscape 7.1 user reports/feedbacks thread instead.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02 (CK-SillyDog)
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Re: Netscape 7

Postby Fulvio » Mon 30 Jun, 2003 2:55 pm

hudor wrote:I

I love the Netscape/Mozilla email client; I can't wait for Thunderbird to come out in a stable release. But there's an ongoing bug in Mozilla/Netscape that's been around forever, and remains unfixed: Biff, the software thingee that checks your email accounts when you log on, actually only checks the first account. If you have more than one POP account, as I do (one for email groups, and the other for my personal email), you have to check the second manually. This strikes me as a serious enough bug that by now it should have been fixed.

Also, half the time when I try to change the colors on My Netscape using NS 7, the program freezes up. This doesn't happen with Mozilla 1.3.1. On the other hand, NS7 has a spell-checker, and Mozilla doesn't.

I save the passwords, and all my eight accounts check mail at the same time, if set up properly. The default account will be opened, while the others will not. But all I need to do is to expand them, and select the Inbox. So, I do not know if your circumstances are different or not, but it never presented any difficulty to me.
I made all my changes to My Netscape years ago, so I would not know if it is a special problem in NS7.1. Moz1.4x would be the proper comparison.
One thing is sure. That NS7.1 is a resources hog.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (Compact - Beta 1)
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Previous

Return to Reference Centre