NS 7.0 user report/feedback

This section is for storing good and useful posts for referencing. This section is read only, if you have any questions, please ask in appropriate sections.

NS 7.0 user report/feedback

Postby Antony » Fri 30 Aug, 2002 5:06 pm

Hello guys,

I am starting this thread to gather all our users' feedback about Netscape 7.0

Please provide any problems/bugs you found, and/or any good features you like, or any sort of comparisions.
Last edited by Antony on Mon 30 Jun, 2003 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Mr. Tinkles » Fri 30 Aug, 2002 6:11 pm

Okay, I'll go first. Overall I love it. The one thing that irritates the dickens out of me is that if I try to check my netscape mail account from within Mail and Newsgroups (as oppsed to using webmail), I get logged out of standalone AIM. Get some error message about logging into another service with the same screenname, and standalone AIM dumps me.

Before anyone says "just use integrated AIM", it is because I am using the integrated IM as ICQ, not AIM/NIM.

Other than that, I have zero complaints about NS7.
I was born by God's dear grace in extraordinary place
Where the Stars and Stripes and the Eagle flies.
Mr. Tinkles

Postby Fulvio » Fri 30 Aug, 2002 8:59 pm

Mr. Tinkles wrote:Okay, I'll go first. Overall I love it. The one thing that irritates the dickens out of me is that if I try to check my netscape mail account from within Mail and Newsgroups (as oppsed to using webmail), I get logged out of standalone AIM. Get some error message about logging into another service with the same screenname, and standalone AIM dumps me.

Before anyone says "just use integrated AIM", it is because I am using the integrated IM as ICQ, not AIM/NIM.

Other than that, I have zero complaints about NS7.

I am not in a strong position, because I disable NIM, but if they feel good about, I have to have it. and then I enter the NIM(or could be AIM) password for Webmail, and AOL. The silly thing is that one must use the same password for all these mails. It took one year to figure it out, and stop getting
the standard login failed response.
So, I wonder if you would be logged out of ICQ, if the other IM are completely disabled, or are they doing something behind my back?
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Postby Shark Daddy » Fri 30 Aug, 2002 9:16 pm

Mr. Tinkles wrote:Other than that, I have zero complaints about NS7.

Just read it again. :lol:
Shark Daddy

Postby Antony » Sat 31 Aug, 2002 2:46 am

Shark Daddy wrote:

What's wrong with that?
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Mr. Tinkles » Sat 31 Aug, 2002 5:04 pm

Shark Daddy wrote:

Actually, I should have worded it as follows:

Other than my problem with standalone AIM and integrated Netscape mail, I LOVE :ns: . It kicks the holy living snot out of :ie: in every respect in my not so humble opinion. It's slick, it's fast, it's STABLE, and..well...it's NETSCAPE! All in all, I give it two enthusiastic paws up! (we cats don't have opposable thumbs after all).

How's that Shark Daddy, better? 8)
Mr. Tinkles

Postby Shark Daddy » Sat 31 Aug, 2002 5:26 pm

Much :)
Shark Daddy

Postby Fulvio » Sat 31 Aug, 2002 8:11 pm

I found a couple of things which were disconcerting.
1. I installed my my NS7 in a different folder as that of NS7pr1. When I was ready to go the appearance and the Target of the shortcut had changed.
I still had pr1, but no shortcut. Easily fixed, and I had to enter information for Target in the Properties. I, later, installed another copy of NS7 in another drive, and this time all the Target information was changed again. And, again I had to place another shortcut, and reneter the correct information.
2. The mystery of NS7 presenting the Choose Profile on computer startup, when I had chosen Quick Launch, went away as soon as I had two copies of NS7 with two different Profiles.
Now, I have both copies with Quick Launch.
There are some changes in NS7 final, but nothing which I would consider bad or good. Only prolonged use of News will tell if the .msf malady has gone away. Good and solid, but with the several nuisances which have been already discussed.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Netscape 7 Mail report

Postby Antony » Tue 03 Sep, 2002 4:27 am

Netscape 7 Mail Report
    My report of Netscape 7.0 (final), the Netscape Mail section.
  • imporved Mail notification sound: sounds better, but (bug) still require Mail window opened to check for new mails.
  • imporved but still buggy Integration with Netscape WebMail: much smoother when using, however it is still possible to hang your Netscape. Not recommend using it.
  • good Return Receipt. yes, we missed that in NS6.
  • good Encryption of Messages. yes, we missed that in NS6. (It was there in Netscape Communicator 4.xx.)
    • Same Netscape Communicator 4.xx's certificate can be used (if not expired).
    • improved Better handling of which receiptants can receive encrypted and signed messages?
    • ? No passwords required before sending an encrypted message (not signed). (It required passwords to encryption in NS7.0 PR1) ? This might be a new feature ?
    • good Signed messages? yes, and it will ask your passwords first.
    • Icons are better indicating the status of the message (signed, encrypted, signed + encrypted, broken, ...).
  • imporved easier to create a new filter from the opened message.
  • imporved displaying of all headers is now working (and improved from NS7PR1). (this feature was missing in NS6.xx.)
  • new Message labelling: a good and handy feature (as from NS7PR1)
  • new Automatically saving of email address to your database, a good and handy feature. (since 7.0PR1, can be easily turned off)
  • Message Import? (I haven't test this bit, but according to Netscape's official review guide, it can now easly import messages from other softwares.)

This post was original posted in the other forum by me, with more entries listed here.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0 (CK-SillyDog)
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

More NS7 Mail/News report

Postby Antony » Tue 03 Sep, 2002 8:41 am

Hello,
I'd like to add more report for Netscape 7 Mail/Newsgroup.
  • fixed Context clicking a link in Mail or Newsgroup and select "Open in new windows" now works, (did not open a new windows in 7.0 PR1)
  • improved Better handling of huge number of threads in Newsgroup and better indication of (new) replies.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0 (CK-SillyDog)
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby DJGM » Tue 03 Sep, 2002 9:05 am

My only problem with Netscape 7.0 so far is about the tabs bar. Everytime I
open up Netscape 7.0, the start page appears in a browser tab everytime.
Even when I have specified in the Preferences, to "Hide the tab bar when
only one tab is open". That option I prefer not to leave unchecked. I like
to use the tabbed browsing feature as and when I want to open another
webpage, rather than putting it in another browser window, taking up
space on the taskbar. But I want to do tabbed browsing when I want
to, not when the browser tells me to after I've started the app. But
everytime I open up Netscape 7.0, there's one tab on the tab bar,
and the aforementioned Preferences option is unchecked again.

This is my only real annoyance with Netscape 7.0. Apart from that, it is an
excellent browser, I only wish more people knew all about it, and actually
cared enough about getting a viable alternative to MS Internet Explorer.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0 (CK-DJGM-i.net)
DJGM
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Tue 03 Sep, 2002 10:23 am

Frustrated over loss of the use of my side buttons on my mouse.

Still ticked that AOL and Real Player decided to place their bloody icons in every possible place.

Pissed that my mail continues to open with news that I don't want, instead of a blank as it should be. Why I should be forced to go into some file to fix this is beyond me.

Frustrated that after having deleted Mozilla and installing Netscape I discover all my settings (obviously deleting Mozilla did not delete my user profile as I thought it would) are still intact but are NOW part of Netscape's profile.

Overall: not very pleased.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Fulvio » Tue 03 Sep, 2002 11:46 am

James wrote:Frustrated over loss of the use of my side buttons on my mouse.>

My Intellimouse,with wheel only cannot be set up in any useful way since NS6.x and earlier Mozillas.How does one do it?

<Still ticked that AOL and Real Player decided to place their bloody icons in every possible place.>

I am in automatic delete mode. I got over it long ago.

<Pissed that my mail continues to open with news that I don't want, instead of a blank as it should be. Why I should be forced to go into some file to fix this is beyond me.>

If I understand what you are saying, it can be fixed easily from Mail Preferences, unchecking box which tells to open with a certain path. And, best of all, grab hold of the "thinger" on the divider, and drag it down. That's how Mail Preview has ben fixed since 4.x or earlier. I never see anything which I do not want this way.

<Frustrated that after having deleted Mozilla and installing Netscape I discover all my settings (obviously deleting Mozilla did not delete my user profile as I thought it would) are still intact but are NOW part of Netscape's profile.>

Profiles were never remove in any Netscape version which I can remember. And, one thing that may have not been so obvious with 4.x, is that new profiles must be created. It is a bit more work than deleting unrequested icons, but much better performance is guaranteed. Mozilla 1.0 and Netscape7.0 are basically the same, so the Profiles can be interchangeable. But, this is not desirable.
That's way I subscribe to the one browser one profile principle.
This is the new Mozdemocracy.

<Overall: not very pleased.>

It took me all the NS post 4.x to learn about some idiosyncracies, but most of the problems are not really problems, although I have a list of my own. But, what the heck, if one saw NS6.0, 7.0 is heavenly!
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.8 [en] (Win98; U)
~ Henrik Ibsen
Fulvio

Postby Mr. Tinkles » Tue 03 Sep, 2002 1:47 pm

James wrote:Pissed that my mail continues to open with news that I don't want, instead of a blank as it should be. Why I should be forced to go into some file to fix this is beyond me.

James,

If you are referring to the page that auto-loads in the lower right pane, you can disable it. Go to Edit | Preferences | Mail & Newsgroups. In the bottom of the very first window for Mail & Newsgroups is an option labeled "Mail Start Page". You can either uncheck it under "When mail starts, show the start page in the message area" so no page loads, or manually enter whatever page you prefer in the "location" box.

Hope that alleviates at least one of your concerns. If this wasn't what you were referring to, my sincerest apologies.
Mr. Tinkles

giving up

Postby James » Tue 03 Sep, 2002 4:09 pm

Thanks for the patience and the help but I can't get along without my sidebuttons so I'm giving up. I've uninstalled Netscape and Mozilla and run a recover/reformat. The computer is back to normal now with everything running smoothly. I'll continue to be a member here but I suppose the only one running IE. Sorry, folks.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Next

Return to Reference Centre