NS 7.0 user report/feedback

This section is for storing good and useful posts for referencing. This section is read only, if you have any questions, please ask in appropriate sections.

Postby Ramona » Tue 03 Sep, 2002 4:23 pm

Hi James,

Wow, I'm feeling really guilty, as I pretty much talked you into Netscape 7.0. :oops:

Still ticked that AOL and Real Player decided to place their bloody icons in every possible place.

Right click the icons and select "Delete".

This will remove the RP icon from you System Tray:
Open RealPlayer
Select: View|Preferences
Click on the "General" Tab
Scroll to the last entry: "StartCenter"
Click on "Settings" Tab
Disable (Remove Tick): "Enable StartCenter"

Pissed that my mail continues to open with news that I don't want, instead of a blank as it should be. Why I should be forced to go into some file to fix this is beyond me.

Mr. Tinkles has answered this issue, but I would like to add just a small tidbit. Use a blank page to open with, and it really cuts down on Netscape load time. It's pretty fast, but this is even better. (I don't like QuickLaunch)
This setting is found in Edit|Preferences|Navigator
Select: "Blank Page"
In the "Location" field, delete anything that is there, and leave it blank.

Frustrated that after having deleted Mozilla and installing Netscape I discover all my settings (obviously deleting Mozilla did not delete my user profile as I thought it would) are still intact but are NOW part of Netscape's profile.

Deleting the old Profile needs to be done manually, after you have uninstalled the program in Add/Remove. You can create a new profile for Netscape 7.0 and when it meets your needs, delete the one that was converted from Mozilla.

In addition, these two files can be deleted ONLY if you have no other Mozilla or Netscape 6/7 applications installed. Those files are:
mozver.dat and registry.dat.
You should delete these files before you reboot, after the uninstall of the application (NS or Moz).

If there's anything I can do to make this transition easier for you, I'm at your service. :wink:

Ramona :D
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0
Ramona

Postby Ramona » Tue 03 Sep, 2002 6:21 pm

To add my own experience with Netscape Streamline with Mail & Newsgroups.

I am delighted with the program. I have been using it exclusively for 5 days now, and have to say that I'm really impressed. Just a few more kinks to iron out and it will be an awesome browser.

I have still been unable to remove the Netscape "Search" button from my Personal Toolbar. Don't know what that's about, but maybe I'll find a cure. Holger Metzger suggested deleting the XUL.mfl and chrome.rdf . However, that didn't help.

UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0
Ramona

Postby Antony » Tue 03 Sep, 2002 6:31 pm

There is a simply and safe method to remove the Search from Personal Toolbar (tested with Streamline):
Edit | Preference | Navigator | (unselect) Toolbar Search (in the third row)
(Select the buttons you want to see in the toolbars)

Note: in the first row, the search is the Search button next to location bar (address field)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0 (CK-SillyDog)
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Ramona » Tue 03 Sep, 2002 6:47 pm

Thanks Antony,

The first thing I did was disable everything in Preferences|Navigator. However, the Search button stubbornly remains!

Ramona

Postby Antony » Tue 03 Sep, 2002 6:52 pm

All right.

I tried to disable everything like what you did, and surprise the "Shop" button remains. However, I re-enabled some of the buttons and disable them again, this time it works.

Don't ask me why.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0 (CK-SillyDog)
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Ramona » Tue 03 Sep, 2002 7:28 pm

Hi Antony,

I've tried that also, enabling all, a few, closing Netscape, rebooting, you name it I've done it and it doesn't work. It's really not a big deal, I just don't like it there. I have my own Search tools, which are much better than that one.

Ramona

Postby Antony » Tue 03 Sep, 2002 7:41 pm

What I did was...
select it
OK
back to Navigator
Preference again, unselect it.
worked.

Alternatively, View | Show/Hide | (unselect) Personal Toolbar
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

More News Report

Postby Antony » Tue 03 Sep, 2002 9:28 pm

more news report
Imporved, When saving a newsgroup message to your local (mail) folder, it is now working. (A problem in NS7 PR1)
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Netscape 7 Mail Report

Postby Antony » Sun 13 Oct, 2002 9:15 pm

Just to add one more issue...
problemUnable to disable View Attachement Inline. (This option was available in Netscape Communicator 4.xx)
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Bernie » Sun 13 Oct, 2002 11:30 pm

I guess I'm different from most others here using Netscape...all I want is a good browser. I use specialized software for email and newsgroups (Pegasus and Agent) and I don't use or want any chat or instant message stuff. Currently, I run Mozilla 1.2a and am very happy with it, as I am with Netscape 4.8. I tried Netscape 7.0 and ran into nothing but trouble and I don't have any patience or interest in tweaking and making dozens and dozens of adjustments, deletions, changes just to use a browser. I rate Netscape 7.0 as only slightly better than Netscape 6.0 with the difference being that 7.0 actually installed and ran. I saw someone's comment that if you had tried 6.0 that 7.0 was like heaven. I find it difficult to see how we should feel it's something special because they didn't screw up as badly this time. That's a MS attitude and why I stay away from most of their software, where I can anyway.
I was hoping for much better, considering the potential and promise of Mozilla...even if it is in constant flux and development.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.2a) Gecko/20020910
Bernie

Postby Ramona » Mon 14 Oct, 2002 2:23 am

Another small annoyance, now that I have conquored the Search button... It is not possible to highlight a group of Mail messages and save them. You have to save the email one at a time. That is a real pain, as I like to save the mail in sender groups, as text files.

UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0 (CK-SillyDog)
Ramona

Postby Josh » Mon 14 Oct, 2002 2:46 am

Here are my views:

Navigator:

Tabs are pretty good.
Gecko is faster than ever.
Pop-up blocking is disabled.
Bookmarks are better than ever.

Composer:

Haven't used it.

Mail/IM:

NS7 Mail is as good as the latest Outlook Express release.
No way to turn off IM
Don't like the Free Webmail icon
Cannot change user name under ICQ

Overall:

The suite is better than NS 6.xx could ever be. It's still too big, and I don't like the AOL fluff thrown in my face. When will someone say when?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020826
Josh
SD701 Moderator
User of Safari 4.0.3 on :tiger:
Josh

Postby Antony » Mon 14 Oct, 2002 8:57 am

About the pop-up windows...
I believe it should not be disabled. There are a number of websites use pop-up windows for major functions. And just the Ad-blocker does work but we will also loss some important features.
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

NS7: The best thing since sliced bread

Postby profman » Tue 15 Oct, 2002 9:20 pm

Hey, I'm a die-hard user of Netscape, WordStar (for DOS), and all those Myst, Riven, etc. games. That means that I'm weird (and so is my cat, Vapor), but I don't just have "brand loyalty, " although loyalty to a good brand, like Netscape, is not all that bad.

I use Netscape and WordStar because they get the job done, and I can tame them to what I want done. I could spend my time learning IE or Word (and I will when the time comes), but why bother? Netscape and its E-mail program are not prime targets for the hackers of the net.

Netscape 7 has the compatibility that I need to previous versions of Netscape. Netscape keeps track of all my preciously saved E-mails and bookmarks since my early days on the web. Netscape 7 is fast, and I love the tabbed windows feature. It is also easy to add the adblocker function if thats what you want (I like prefbar so far). The Newsreader capability is all that I'll ever need. A friend loves Composer, although I never use it myself. I can change what I have on the Personal Toolbar and get rid of unwanted buttons. True, I have to clean up all the AOL nonsense after a normal install, but thats the normal price of using free software. If I really want to customize some things, I can use the CCK software and throw in a few manual tweaks (perhaps in user.js) with the help of a board like the one here at Sillydog. If I can do it, then anyone who really wants to can also. If you don't want to play with the CCK, then there will always be CCK distributions on the net that will give you just what you what or the choice to do so (like no AIM or activation). I don't think all that is true of IE (although I really don't know about that).

I could go to Mozilla (which is a good thing), but I want the spit and polish of a finished product. Netscape 6 or 6.01 was not a good thing, but I was fairly happy with the 6.2x series. Netscape 7 has all the feel of a great product and is designed for the masses and for the tweakers. It works on most of the web sites that I go to. For problematic sites, I can always use Netscape 4.79 or IE.

Sorry to go on so long.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0 (nscd2)
profman, the mad chemist
Moderator of SillyDog Forums
User of Thunderbird & Firefox
Try Forum Search
profman

Postby Mandrake » Thu 17 Oct, 2002 1:57 am

Mozilla all the way! NS7 without useless AOL branding.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0)
Mandrake

PreviousNext

Return to Reference Centre