NS 7.0 user report/feedback

This section is for storing good and useful posts for referencing. This section is read only, if you have any questions, please ask in appropriate sections.

Postby Edward » Thu 12 Dec, 2002 6:43 pm

Any thoughts on Netscape 7.01, especially now that it can block pop-up ads?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20021120 Netscape/7.01
Edward

Postby Mandrake » Thu 12 Dec, 2002 7:15 pm

Minor Improvements only, since its only a .01 increase. I'll be sticking to Mozilla for the forseeable future, unless Netscape makes something that makes it worth my while to switch over.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021130
Mandrake

Postby Ramona » Fri 13 Dec, 2002 6:22 pm

Now that 7.01 has a Popup Windows Control, is this script obsolete, and shouldn't it be removed from the prefs.js and user.js file:

user_pref("dom.disable_open_during_load", true);

Thanks!

Ramona :D
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20021120 Netscape/7.01 (CK-SillyDog)
Ramona

Re: NS 7.0 user report/feedback

Postby AhoBakkari » Sat 04 Jan, 2003 5:39 am

I have been using Netscape since 1995 and I think Netscape 7 is great. However, I have one annoying problem with it, which was actually discussed here two weeks ago, namely the disappearing of profile(s).

Sometimes at startup Netscape just can't find my mail account settings, mail folders or homepage. It behaves just like after a fresh clean install. However all accounts and mail folders are still there sitting in the .slt directory. I tried to recover by importing the prefs.js (which had shrinked to approx. 1 kb) manually from a recent backup but it didn't help. After starting and closing of Netscape the prefs.js was back to 1 kb. Next I imported all lately modified files in the .slt directory (prefs.js, prefs.bak, localstore.rdf, history.dat, cookies.txt, XUL.mfl and panancea.dat), which after I started Netscape, and presto... everything was back to normal.

I have had this problem with two separate computers running Windows XP and Netscape 7 and 7.01. Profiles are lost irregularely once every few weeks with no apparent connection to any configuration changes.

It is definitely a nuisance, but I wouldn't like to give up on Netscape quite yet. Just hope they get it fixed.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20021120 Netscape/7.01
AhoBakkari

can't uninstall bundled AIM, line stand-alone AIM better

Postby vicki2t » Mon 10 Feb, 2003 11:22 am

I had to initially install Netscape 7 by changing the directory name from 'Netscape' to 'Netscape 7' in order to keep it from creating a /Netscape/Netscape nesting, since I knew I would eventually uninstall the version 4.7. I also wanted to be sure that I would not lose my earlier settings from vers 4.7. During the install, I noticed right off how I could not install only MAIL without AIM, which seemed fine at first, since I do use AIM. I have been using the stand-alone AIM which is fine, but I noticed that the old AIM has more preference settings, and more smileys. The annoying thing is that I get kicked off of my stand-alone AIM session each time I launch Netscape, mail or even new web pages! I have set the preferences to not have AIM launch each time Navigator starts (and see no other option), but it starts anyway, kicking off my other session. So, forgetting that the only install option lumped both mail and AIM together, I decided to see if I could uninstall the AIM component, and found that I cannot UNinstall any of it at all since the uninstall expects not the installed (renamed) directory, but the default install directory, which of course does not contain Netscape 7 or the AIM component. I don't like having AIM require that I launch Netscape whenever I want to use it, and that it has fewer options / preference settings than my old stand-alone version. I do like Netscape 7 a lot, excepet for this. I did import all my settings, and finally uninstalled the old version. (did notice some imported-from-vers4.7 address book anomolies that I won't get into here!)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20021120 Netscape/7.01
vicki2t

Postby Mr. Tinkles » Mon 10 Feb, 2003 2:02 pm

Greetings and Welcome to SillyDog701 Vicki2t!

One of the beauties of the SillyDog701 Streamlined installation of Netscape v7.01 is that you actually have the option to NOT install integrated AIM/ICQ. However, keep in mind that if you decide not to, you will not be able to setup an integrated @netscape.net email account. In other words, you would have to check your netscape.net email accounts via their webmail interface. POP3 and IMAP based email still works fine though.

Netscape 7.01 Streamline and Stand-alone

Have a great day...and be sure to buy your cat some Sushi!
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; .NET CLR 1.0.3705)
I was born by God's dear grace in extraordinary place
Where the Stars and Stripes and the Eagle flies.
Mr. Tinkles

Postby Ramona » Tue 11 Feb, 2003 12:57 am

I just discovered another "Bug" in 7.01. In the Mail & Newsgroups Account Setting. There is a blank for your Organization. I filled in a fictitious name for my Default Mail Account, and sent myself a test email. No Organization information in the Header.

Tried the same configuration for secnews.netscape.com, and the Organization header was visible.

Closed Netscape, and reopened. The "dud" Email setting was not retained, but the "good" NG setting was retained.

Anyone else experienced this anomaly, and if so has anyone seen a Bug Report on it? I've been searching Bugzilla, but I must not be using the right search terms, as I have come up with a blank.

Thanks,

Ramona :mrgreen:
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20021120 Netscape/7.01 (CK-SillyDog)
Ramona

Postby Antony » Tue 11 Feb, 2003 1:05 am

Ramona wrote:I just discovered another "Bug" in 7.01. In the Mail & Newsgroups Account Setting. There is a blank for your Organization. I filled in a fictitious name for my Default Mail Account, and sent myself a test email. No Organization information in the Header.

Ramona,
Did you have View | Headers | All ?
I can see mine.

EDITED add screenshot.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20021120 Netscape/7.01 (CK-SillyDog)
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Mr. Tinkles » Tue 11 Feb, 2003 6:58 am

Ramona wrote:I just discovered another "Bug" in 7.01. In the Mail & Newsgroups Account Setting. There is a blank for your Organization. I filled in a fictitious name for my Default Mail Account, and sent myself a test email. No Organization information in the Header.

Ramona,

Have you tried adding this line to user.js?
Code: Select all
user_pref("mailnews.headers.showOrganization", true);

I know it makes it show up in either NS 7.01 or the more recent Moz builds, I just don't recall which. I'm taking off now for the day, but will test this later tonight in various versions and post which it works with.

Tinkles
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20021120 Netscape/7.01 (CK-SillyDog)
Mr. Tinkles

Postby Ramona » Tue 11 Feb, 2003 12:41 pm

Antony,

Thanks for the screen shot. Yes, I do have View|Headers configured for "All".

Brandon,

Way to go! Adding the script to the user.js file worked. Thanks so much.

I was helping a user who had this problem, and then discovered I couldn't make the setting stick either. This not only helped me, but others as well, as I had a couple of other folks checking this for me in 7.01, and they had the same problem.

Ramona

Postby Mr. Tinkles » Tue 11 Feb, 2003 10:34 pm

Ramona wrote:Way to go! Adding the script to the user.js file worked. Thanks so much.

I was helping a user who had this problem, and then discovered I couldn't make the setting stick either. This not only helped me, but others as well, as I had a couple of other folks checking this for me in 7.01, and they had the same problem.

Um...this is quite interesting. While I am very glad it worked for you, when I tested it tonight, that pref didn't have any effect on Netscape v7.01 or Mozilla v1.2.1. It did cause Organization to show up in normal header view in a relatively recent 1.3b nightly release though when it didn't show without the pref.

Since it IS working for you in NS v7.01, I guess just thank your lucky stars and sacrifice a dozen virgin rodents to the Great Cat in the Sky! :wink:

Just for kicks, I also tried two other prefs, replacing "organization" with "X-mailer" and "X-newsreader". Neither showed up on any build of any gecko based newsreader I have loaded :cry:
Mr. Tinkles

Postby Ramona » Tue 11 Feb, 2003 11:08 pm

Mr Tinkles,

Very strange indeed, and the user I was helping had no joy either, with adding the script to the user.js. Did you check in your prefs.js file to see if the "Organization" entry was listed. This is the script in my prefs.js:

user_pref("mail.identity.id1.organization", "Netscape Solutions Collaborator");

In my Mozilla 1.2.1, it was unnecessary to use the script you gave me for the user.js. I merely added the Organization name, and the browser retained the setting. I uninstalled 1.2.1 today, and installed 1.3b, and again, it was not necessary to add your script to the user.js. The setting was retained by the browser. Now go figure!!! :roll:

captjlddavis was doing some testing also, and his Ver. 7.01 did retain the setting without adding the script.....

FWIW,

Ramona :D
Ramona

Postby Mr. Tinkles » Wed 12 Feb, 2003 10:04 am

Ramona wrote:Very strange indeed, and the user I was helping had no joy either, with adding the script to the user.js. Did you check in your prefs.js file to see if the "Organization" entry was listed. This is the script in my prefs.js:

user_pref("mail.identity.id1.organization", "Netscape Solutions Collaborator");

Yep, she's there:
user_pref("mail.identity.id2.organization", "Feline Liberation Front");
Mr. Tinkles

NS 7

Postby lonestarone » Wed 12 Feb, 2003 12:34 pm

Hello,
I've been using NS 7 since December, I love it! Although, it's really much different in winXP explorer than the 4.xx series. I still can't find my user accounts? or history as Ramona said to delte regularly.
C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\yourusername\Cache
Delete all files, including fat.db in the Cache folder
It simply doesn't exist!? At least I can't find it anywhere and I do have (show hidden files) checked. I do delete from preferences area, is that the same thing?
I love the smooth web browsing, no popups. When I'm forced to use IE to access my hotmail, since IE won't accept NS!! It's so slow, I could never use it as a browser!!
I don't want or use AIM, ICQ to afraid of virius or whatever is out of my control. NS 7 is by far, the best email program ever!! The filters seem to work very well for spam. It catches all of them and deletes them! Can't ask for more.
Happy user - so far.
John in Dallas.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0 (CK-SillyDog)
L~one
lonestarone

Postby profman » Wed 12 Feb, 2003 3:31 pm

Profile location for Netscape 6/7 is discussed here.

I like to install Prefbar that can add buttons to clear out History, Location Bar, and various Caches.

And do come back with any easy questions that you may have. :wink:
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021130
profman, the mad chemist
Moderator of SillyDog Forums
User of Thunderbird & Firefox
Try Forum Search
profman

PreviousNext

Return to Reference Centre