NS 7.1 system (GDI) resource drainage in Win98

Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 6/7/8/9, and all Gecko-based browsers discussion and support forum. (MozInfo701, Netscape Browser Archive)

NS 7.1 system (GDI) resource drainage in Win98

Postby Ramona » Mon 30 Jun, 2003 11:12 pm

I finally had to throw in the towel using Netscape 7.1. It consistently drains my resources to below 15%, and I simply cannot use the application! :cry:

Stability:
06/28/03 Installed
IPF errors in JS3250.DLL twice , with one MSVCRT.DLL triggered by clicking on Mail Icon, both Desktop Icon, and Mail Icon in Browser
06/29/03 - Same errors
06/30/03 - same errors on startup

Serious resource drain. With only 7.1 + Mail active, two TSR's (NAV and ZA) Resources can drop to 7 - 9% available Happens consistently! I thought it might have been my 14 tabs in the tab group that I use. However, I experience the same problems without the tabs...

I tried this workaround, which was in Bug 204374:

Workaround:
Mozilla bug #204374
Edit the prefs.js file to add the following script:
Code: Select all
user_pref("browser.cache.memory.capacity", 4096);

I strongly recommend creating a new Profile for Netscape 7.1. Users are reporting problems with Mail, if using the existing 7.x Profile. I also experienced this problem. Only after creating a unique Profile for 7.1 could I use Mail & Newsgroups...

I am open to suggestion, recommendations, tips, and anything else you might have in your Netscape hat!

Ramona :mrgreen:

Edited by Admin, subject changed from I Can't Run Netscape 7.1!
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02 (CK-SillyDog)
Last edited by Ramona on Mon 02 Feb, 2004 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ramona

Postby orizng » Tue 01 Jul, 2003 2:48 am

I did not install mail and IM since I found Thunderbird is so cute.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)
Whatever,whatever,have a nice day.
orizng
silver member
silver member

Postby Mandrake » Tue 01 Jul, 2003 2:55 am

Interesting . . . try going Start|Run "sfc" and scan your system files, you can restore files from your Windows media if they are corrupte.d
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)
Core i7 920 | ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 | 3TB+ HDD | 12GB Corsair DDR3 | Radeon 4890 Xfire | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Logitech Z-5500 Speakers | Dell 3008WFP | Seven RC1
Mandrake

Postby Ramona » Tue 01 Jul, 2003 12:35 pm

Hi Mandrake,

I did run SFC, and got a clean slate... I see on the Netscape 7 NG that there are others having the same problem. Some rather crude remarks accompanying the posts, which I thought was unacceptable...

Bummer :sadr:
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.0.2) Gecko/20030208 Netscape/7.02 (CK-SillyDog)
Ramona

Postby Fulvio » Tue 01 Jul, 2003 2:25 pm

Ramona wrote:Hi Mandrake,

I did run SFC, and got a clean slate... I see on the Netscape 7 NG that there are others having the same problem. Some rather crude remarks accompanying the posts, which I thought was unacceptable...

Bummer :sadr:

I am using Compact beta 5, and after having run two types of AOL and AOL Communicator, and Music Match, my total load had maxed up. My resources had dropped to 46% . I did not dare checking after opening 7.1. But with all the left overs from the previous manipulations, and only 7.1 and mail open, I get 98% load and 59% resources.
I don't think that Moz1.4 is this bad, but in all fairness, I should reboot my computer every time I intend to do anything.
In addition, and we may have to thank AOL for this, I have not been able to connect with Webmail since the very first time. As soon as I added a POP account, I keep getting cannot connect Alert. And, now, AOL mail has also joined Webmail.
I am going to keep using some 7.1, as long as there is no serious resources drain. I am curious about the contents of the Spam folder. I changed the date to date contents from the ridiculous 14 to 4. I send all my Spam, from each account, to a single folder, and, I got 55 pieces of junk, and today it is the fourth days. I had to manually delete the Spam in Mozilla 1.4
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (Compact - Beta 5)
A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong.
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Postby Ramona » Tue 01 Jul, 2003 3:13 pm

Fulvio,

Thank you for the feedback. I installed the Netscape Base Install today. Note: there is no Mail option in the "Custom" but there is a Spellcheck option. I had a good chuckle over that one! I am seeing about the same results on resources, only a faster drain... I've only been using it about 40 minutes, and it is going down at a rather fast rate. I will disable tabs soon, and see if I have the same results, as I did yesterday, with/without tabs making little to no difference.

For the first time with 7.x, I can access Netscape WebMail, with the browser. Go figure?

UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)
Ramona

Postby Fulvio » Tue 01 Jul, 2003 5:27 pm

Ramona wrote:Fulvio,

For the first time with 7.x, I can access Netscape WebMail, with the browser. Go figure?

With the browser? I need had a problem there, but I have had constant problems when I set it in Mail. I had indicated before that, as soon as I set up POP account, Webmail struck out. And, it is getting so annoying now, it tells me three times in a rows that it could not cnnect(AOL does five times), and then it tells me again when I close Mail or the entiree program.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (Compact - Beta 5)
~ Henrik Ibsen
WinXP, SP3, 512 MB, SM2.30, FF33, TB31.2, IE8.0 Ghostwall , Avast2014 Pro, also Toshiba Satellite laptop, 4GB, Win 8.1, IE11, Google Chrome 38
Fulvio

Postby Edward » Tue 01 Jul, 2003 7:52 pm

Resource percentage here is currently showing 52% free, with Netscape and the Windows CD player open, this is generally the same as with 7.02.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)
SillyDog701 Moderator
debian - SeaMonkey
Edward

Postby Mandrake » Tue 01 Jul, 2003 8:48 pm

With Netscape open on my computer, I record memory useage of 129240K out of 633340K with Netscape and one MS WORD window open, plus virus scanner.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.1a) Gecko/20020611
Core i7 920 | ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 | 3TB+ HDD | 12GB Corsair DDR3 | Radeon 4890 Xfire | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Logitech Z-5500 Speakers | Dell 3008WFP | Seven RC1
Mandrake

Postby Fulvio » Tue 01 Jul, 2003 10:20 pm

Ramona wrote:Fulvio,

Thank you for the feedback. I installed the Netscape Base Install today. Note: there is no Mail option in the "Custom" but there is a Spellcheck option. I had a good chuckle over that one! I am seeing about the same results on resources, only a faster drain... I've only been using it about 40 minutes, and it is going down at a rather fast rate.

I did not realize what Base meant, but I sure would like to know where to use the Spell-Checker. It does not drain resources any faster, except for the lack of mail. Now, what are System Resources? I am not sure. May be someone could explain. I have my AOLtray which has some good diagnostic tools, and it report System Resources in %. In addition, it report s Memory load in % of total memory. In my case, I have beside, Systray and Explorer, a few other programs, including Zone Alarm, and AVG, the AntiVirus. Typically, I begin with a memory load of 55-60%, and number goes up, while the resources goes down. from the initial 88-89%. A hefty program like AOL may take perhaps 15% of my resources, and may be 20% of the memory load. My 7.1 base has gobbled up 30% of the memory load, up to 90%, and stands at 64% resources. Now, I will reboot, and try Moz1.4.
~ Henrik Ibsen
Fulvio

Postby jim » Tue 01 Jul, 2003 10:45 pm

I think the spell checker is included for Composer.

System resources (in this case) have nothing to do with RAM or your CPU. A user with 32MB of RAM and a Pentium 90MHz has the same amount of system resources as someone with 512MB of RAM and a P4 2.4GHz. Only Win9x/Me systems have this kind of system resources. NT based operating systems (currently WinNT, 2000, XP, and Server 2003) don't have them.

System resources are a fixed amount of memory that is used by applications to keep track of User Interface elements, such as buttons and menus. They are used for other things, as well. Once you run out of them, UI elements may disappear, change size (usually they become enormous), or change colors. Some applications will start giving strange errors that make no sense at all. Then, your system will crash.

Features like tabbed browsing should help reduce system resources. Closing unused applications will also help. Some system utilities also cause problems with them.

If Mozilla 1.4 still takes too many system resources, go to bugzilla.mozilla.org and file a bug. Even though there won't be any more major releases of the Application Suite, there will be releases and bug fixes on the 1.4 branch.

Also, Win9x is awful at memory management. The only way to improve memory management and get rid of the annoying "system resources" problems is to switch to a Windows NT based operating system (or Linux :)). If you still find yourself low on RAM, it's time to upgrade!
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624
jim

Postby Dennis L. » Wed 02 Jul, 2003 1:04 am

Fulvio asked .....
Now, what are System Resources? I am not sure. May be someone could explain.

Some additional explanations.....
http://inquirer.philly.com/newsroom/faq/pages/fdb7df9-60.html
and
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question466.htm/printable
Jim says....
Also, Win9x is awful at memory management. The only way to improve memory management and get rid of the annoying "system resources" problems is to switch to a Windows NT based operating system (or Linux :D ). If you still find yourself low on RAM, it's time to upgrade!
I've not moved to 7.1, still sitting on the sidelines. I agree upgrading when user needs require hardware and OS demanding applications such as CAD programs or video management applications. BUT... not for running ANY browser. It's nice to have the latest and greatest hardware, but not a system requirement to surf the net. Win9x's are still majority players in the surf'n world. I (we) only hope they come along for the experience with this current release. I get concerned when a FREE program becomes to expensive for the average user to enjoy.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0 (CK-SillyDog)
Dennis L.
silver member
silver member

Postby Ramona » Wed 02 Jul, 2003 2:20 am

Jim said:

Features like tabbed browsing should help reduce system resources. Closing unused applications will also help. Some system utilities also cause problems with them.

If Mozilla 1.4 still takes too many system resources, go to bugzilla.mozilla.org and file a bug.

I have found that by eliminating tabs, resource availability is improved. In 7.02 I had a Tab Group of 14 Tabs which I toggled between all day, with no appreciable problem. Resources usually were at about 64-68%, running NAV and ZA in the background. Nothing more...

There is a Bug already filed: Bug #204374 I've tried the workaround, and it had no effect.

Makes sense that Spellchecker would be included for Composer, but it did give me a giggle when I realized there was no mail. Little old ladies from Pasadena have a warped sense of humor! :mrgreen:

Upgrading the OS for the sake of a browser smacks of Microsoft, don't you think? :wink: Kind of what Mr. Gates has in mind for Windows users, with the end of Microsoft's standalone Internet Explorer browser. :roll:

Ramona

Postby Fulvio » Wed 02 Jul, 2003 12:27 pm

Ramona wrote:
Jim said:

If Mozilla 1.4 still takes too many system resources, go to bugzilla.mozilla.org and file a bug.

I have found that by eliminating tabs, resource availability is improved. In 7.02 I had a Tab Group of 14 Tabs which I toggled between all day, with no appreciable problem. Resources usually were at about 64-68%, running NAV and ZA in the background. Nothing more...

There is a Bug already filed: Bug #204374 I've tried the workaround, and it had no effect.

Makes sense that Spellchecker would be included for Composer, but it did give me a giggle when I realized there was no mail. Little old ladies from Pasadena have a warped sense of humor! :mrgreen:

Upgrading the OS for the sake of a browser smacks of Microsoft, don't you think? :wink: Kind of what Mr. Gates has in mind for Windows users, with the end of Microsoft's standalone Internet Explorer browser. :roll:

Even if Linux is considered, I would like to continue using what I have. And, jim, thanks for the detailed explanation. But, still I recommend people to stay away from a resource meter. It interferes with browsing.
I concur with Windows for Dummies: "Resource Meter: Yawn. A little meter mumbles something about resources. This stuff attracts the same crowd who enjoy watching oscilloscopes" And, a flat line.
Still, I like NS7.1. And, an update, I set up an other Profile, with no mail other than Webmail, and, although it keeps telling that it can't connect, it does. But, forget about any other mail account.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US) Netscape6/6.1
~ Henrik Ibsen
Fulvio

systeme resources

Postby goosey » Mon 07 Jul, 2003 2:30 pm

I have Win98, 192ram, 386mhz. I've been using netscape7 since preview release last year. I really like it. SOOOOO much better than IE6. I've been on Net7.1 for about 2 hours now and my resource meter says:

System Res. 58% free
User Resources 63% free
GDI resources 58% free

Is this good or bad?
goosey

Next

Return to Firefox, SeaMonkey and Netscape