OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' was unable to begin a distributed

Need technical advice on coding your web pages? Covers HTML, JavaScript, CSS, and some server side technologies. Also the issue of some webpages not displayed well.

OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' was unable to begin a distributed

Postby dotnetprof2005 » Fri 09 Sep, 2005 12:58 pm

Server Error in '/Directoryname' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' was unable to begin a distributed transaction. [OLE/DB provider returned message: New transaction cannot enlist in the specified transaction coordinator. ] OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' ITransactionJoin::JoinTransaction returned 0x8004d00a].
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: EOP.CustomSqlException: The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' was unable to begin a distributed transaction. [OLE/DB provider returned message: New transaction cannot enlist in the specified transaction coordinator. ] OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' ITransactionJoin::JoinTransaction returned 0x8004d00a].

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:
Code: Select all
[CustomSqlException: The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' was unable to begin a distributed transaction.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: New transaction cannot enlist in the specified transaction coordinator. ]
OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' ITransactionJoin::JoinTransaction returned 0x8004d00a].]
   Appname.Data.ExecSqlQuery(String[] strSql)
   Appname.Data.ExecuteQuery(String[] strSql)
   Appname.certification.AddRules.ImgbtnSave_Click(Object sender, ImageClickEventArgs e)
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnClick(ImageClickEventArgs e) +109
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +69
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1292

I have been trying to find the answer to this error for past one week and i am not able to fix.Any help would i so appreciate.
Thanks in advance.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
dotnetprof2005
dotnetprof2005

0x8004d00a

Postby forecasting » Wed 14 Sep, 2005 10:55 am

I have been working on this problem for quite a while myself. There are several issues. This is the most helpful link. It shows you how to turn on MSDTC and get around the firewall.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839279

If you are connecting SQL 2000 with SQL 2003, you also need to set the DTC "No Authentication Required" option.

Lastly, it appears that DTC does not like triggers, so if you are doing an insert/update to a table that has a trigger, you need to precede the command with

ALTER TABLE <table name> DISABLE TRIGGER ALL
<your procedure>
ALTER TABLE <table name> ENABLE TRIGGER ALL

(don't forget to account for the trigger no longer being there)

Best of luck
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
forecasting

Postby j00d » Mon 23 Jan, 2006 7:20 pm

forecasting, thanks a bunch. your kb article and the "no authentication required" reference made my triggers work. thanks a bunch.

j00d
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5
j00d

SQLOLEDB' was unable to begin a distributed transaction

Postby shahzad » Mon 03 Nov, 2008 9:28 am

me was also facing same problem, but it has been fixed now.
plz set the ip address of your current machine from the ip adress range of your network(or source machine from where you r getting data)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3
shahzad

Return to Web Design and Page Coding