parental controls monitor kids?

Apple products and Mac operating systems. Including discussions on Virtual PC for Mac, Parallels Desktop for Mac, all Apple hardware and everything relating to Apple and Mac!
(MacCentre701)

Re: parental controls monitor kids?

Postby iJohnE » Mon 03 Mar, 2014 11:52 am

Antony wrote:Well, today's well (and over) protected kids somehow do need some sort of parental control.
Many of today's parents leave the basic behaviour teaching tasks to schools. And today's schools are afraid of kids and parents. (Teachers can't even touch students.)
So, parental control (or spying rather) is the solution for today's parents.

Which is unfortunate. So much as changed since I was a kid. And I'm only turning 20 (On April 18th). When I was a kid my parents taught me right from wrong. I also didn't have all the technological gadgets. I was excited when I got a VCR for the first time. And my computer that I got for the first time was very old and not connected to the internet. I used it only to play Baldur's Gate (1 and 2. Original released in 1998 that I still play today!) and some education games. I was a big reader and artistic child. I liked going outdoors too.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_6 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/33.0.1750.14 Mobile/11B651 Safari/9537.53
"Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss.
User of Windows 10 Pro, and Ubuntu MATE.
iJohnE
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Tue 04 Mar, 2014 12:04 pm

Well, I'm an old guy so my views are probably out of step with today's thinking. Frankly, if I had children today I would not allow them to go online in their own rooms. The computer would be in a common area (i.e. the living room or family room) and my kids would be on it when I was there. As has been mentioned, I would make certain they knew right from wrong (which I DID teach my kids who are now teaching their kids). I would also probably put some sort of software on the computer to lock down the sites available to them as well as the times they could access the internet. Would this be fool-proof? Probably not but it would be the best I could think of doing to protect my kids from the wolves online.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby iJohnE » Tue 04 Mar, 2014 12:11 pm

James wrote:Well, I'm an old guy so my views are probably out of step with today's thinking. Frankly, if I had children today I would not allow them to go online in their own rooms. The computer would be in a common area (i.e. the living room or family room) and my kids would be on it when I was there. As has been mentioned, I would make certain they knew right from wrong (which I DID teach my kids who are now teaching their kids). I would also probably put some sort of software on the computer to lock down the sites available to them as well as the times they could access the internet. Would this be fool-proof? Probably not but it would be the best I could think of doing to protect my kids from the wolves online.

I didn't get my own computer until I was 15. Up until then, we had a family computer, in the computer room. As distasteful as AOL can be, I must say one of the things they did right was their parental controls. You could select and age group for your child, and then boom those were the only sites they were allowed to visit.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8_5) AppleWebKit/537.74.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.1.2 Safari/537.74.9
iJohnE
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Tue 04 Mar, 2014 8:29 pm

Well, there you go, John. It made you the person you are today...thanks to your mum and dad and good ole AOL. :)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby iJohnE » Tue 04 Mar, 2014 10:23 pm

James wrote:Well, there you go, John. It made you the person you are today...thanks to your mum and dad and good ole AOL. :)

We were the last people within a 50 mile radius to have dial up. It was embarrassing. Haha. :)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8_5) AppleWebKit/537.74.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.1.2 Safari/537.74.9
iJohnE
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Wed 05 Mar, 2014 6:50 am

Since I don't live in beautiful Boston (or anywhere near it), I see today's parents (here) are worse than kids. Giving kids extremely bad examples.
To start with…
Certain parents with babies in prams are pretty much the worst. They think they are above everybody else just because they have kids in pram. They expect everybody to give way to them (in shopping malls) while showing no appreciation when one offers them space in the lift (aka "elevator" in the states) or allow them to go in front of the queue.
They let their uncontrollable kids screaming in the shops or restaurants. Since none else dares to mention a word.
During school traffic hours, many of those rich parents taking or picking up their kids to or from school are very aggressive. They don't obey road rules, but yet they would complain other road users not following the road rules. Especially the rich parents driving 4WDs (known as "SUV" in the states). They don't give ways when they need to, cutting other road users, and even talking on the mobile phone (NOT handsfree) with a school kid in the back seat. (I witnessed that.) Unlike those spoiled kids, apart from the very first day in school, I walked to school and home everyday for my primary school year. Even in raining days.

Thank you for reading my whine on today's parents. My points are: today's parents let their uncontrollable kids screaming in public, once reached school age, they deliver their kids to school everyday, even organise after school activities… they are, of course, going to limit/control/monitor their kids' online activity. Which is sort of a "logical" thing for parents to do.

A real experience:
There was a kid screaming in Ikea. I told my friend the kid was noisy. The mother dared to question me: "did you say something?" (Which I was not talking to her.) I backed down.

I admit I did not handle that particular situation well. However, I learnt. Any parents dare to scare me off will not achieve what they want easily.
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Wed 05 Mar, 2014 11:48 am

Well, we're kind of wandering from the parental controls online to parental discipline but so be it. I taught for 32 years and saw an increasing lack of parental control as well as a breakdown in authority at school. When I started teaching we could still discipline the kids but that all changed and the atmosphere in the schools began to deteriorate. I was so glad when I was finally able to retire from education. Frankly I would not want to teach in a school today. :(
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby iJohnE » Wed 05 Mar, 2014 11:53 am

James wrote:Well, we're kind of wandering from the parental controls online to parental discipline but so be it. I taught for 32 years and saw an increasing lack of parental control as well as a breakdown in authority at school. When I started teaching we could still discipline the kids but that all changed and the atmosphere in the schools began to deteriorate. I was so glad when I was finally able to retire from education. Frankly I would not want to teach in a school today. :(

That's a reassuring though. Since I'm going to school for education. :/
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_6 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B651 Safari/9537.53
iJohnE
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Wed 05 Mar, 2014 3:21 pm

Sorry, John. But remember... you're much younger and will relate to students of today better than I. :)
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Thu 06 Mar, 2014 1:52 am

Today's kids are lack of basic education. Lack of basic of respect. And lack of basic common etiquettes. Many of the are pure evil.

In my opinion, the attempt to control/supervise/spy kids' online activities is not a top priority. Sooner or later, they would face the real world. The real world is full of traps, scams and dirty languages... (at least this part of the world I live).

Juveniles know that they are unpublishable, after destroying local businesses, when they got caught, they read out their untouchable rights to your face... you can't touch them, police can't jail them, sending them to court is wasting money.
A high number of bushfires in Australia were lit by juveniles, and completely unpunished. (Forced to say sorry or even delivered by the lawyer is definitely a punishment to most educated people.)

Oh, when those evil juveniles were caught, the most they will received is just stern scolding from police. Like if those evil kids would listen.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.19
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Thu 06 Mar, 2014 3:24 pm

Back when I was a kid (in the Dark Ages... LOL), if a kid ended up committing a crime and was a repeat offender he could end up in what was called "Reform School." The first thing they did when you entered there was to cut off your hair and to strap you. Yup. He was strapped. The idea was to break his pride down, scare him and to make it so distasteful that he would never want to return. Today... it's all gone and kids get away with murder.
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Thu 06 Mar, 2014 7:39 pm

I am a supporter of corporal punishment.
I honestly do not know what the kid would learn by detentions after school. Asking them to sit in a class room for an extra hour or copy some boring texts... the evil kids won't learn anything from that.
Suspension for few days from school? It does no good to the kid who is receiving punishment. The said evil (and usually remorseless) kid do enjoy his/her free school days. The only benefit of suspension is to give other students or teachers a break.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.19
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby James » Thu 06 Mar, 2014 8:45 pm

Geeze, Antony, you sound older than I do! :D Yeah, I definitely support corporal punishment. In my 32 years I only administered it a couple of times. I never knew it to be abused or over-used. But today's enlightened twits disagree so there's nothing to do but watch that generation wring their hands in despair over what to do with naughty children. :shock:
James
James
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Fri 07 Mar, 2014 9:59 am

One thing for sure, (most) kids would try to avoid receiving corporal punishment. As for detentions, those kids would just laugh off.
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby Antony » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 12:02 am

Chatting to a friend of mine who works as a bus driver last night. He agrees with me that the mothers with prams are the worst bus passengers - extremely aggressive, think that everybody needs to give way to them...

Three full fare paying customers need to evacuate their seats so the baby who travels free can continue to sit on the pram on the bus.

I learned from young age: walk to the back of the bus.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 7_0_6 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B651 Safari/9537.53
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS and Apple