Pro Tools/ iTunes/ QuickTime 7 bug, workaround

Apple products and Mac operating systems. Including discussions on Virtual PC for Mac, Parallels Desktop for Mac, all Apple hardware and everything relating to Apple and Mac!
(MacCentre701)

Pro Tools/ iTunes/ QuickTime 7 bug, workaround

Postby EddiePaxil » Sun 15 May, 2005 4:30 am

I posted on this issue in an earlier thread. However, dealing with this issue was a work in progress most of that time. I thought I should post a more concise collection of my findings. This is basically a bug that has affected OS X 10.3.9 users who run Digidesign audio hardware and installed Quicktime 7. There is a lingering conflict between QT 7 and Digidesign's Core Audio Setup. I have dubbed it "The Quit Prit Freeze."

First order of business. You will not be able to run some of Quicktime 7's audio through your Digidesign Hardware until Digidesign releases a fix. Most likely a new version of Core Audio Setup for OSX 10.3.9 users. Much the same way you can't run your Digidesign Hardware and Pro Tools on OSX 10.4 Tiger until Digidesign releases Tiger updates for Core Audio and Pro Tools. This does not mean you can't run other audio related apps. Just not QT 7.

Here are my findings on dealing with this bug.

1) Those who would like to run Quicktime sound through their Digidesign Hardware must re-install Quicktime 6.5.2 you can do that here http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ ... ormac.html this re-installer will remove Quicktime 7 and re-install 6.5.2. This will also work for those who upgraded thinking they could use their Quicktime 6 Pro serial numbers to get Quicktime 7 Pro.

Anyone who wishes to continue to run QT 7 and doesn't mind that you won't be able to hear it's sound via your Digi Hardware in certain uses simply skip to the next step.

2) Install Digidesign's Core Audio Setup 6.9. Here http://www.digidesign.com/ under downloads you'll find Core Audio Setup 6.9. This is the most recent version of Core Audio Setup Available as of May 15 ,2005. This goes for users of all versions of Pro Tools LE 6x that have previously run on Panther OSX 10.3.9 with the MBox, Digi 002Rack, and Digi 002. This also goes for Digi 001 users (of which I am one). While Digidesign does not officially qualify the Digi 001 for use with OSX 10.3.9 or Core Audio Setup 6.9, it works fine. I am listening to the Beatles White Album right now through ITunes via my Digi 001 on OSX 10.3.9 using Core Audio Setup 6.9. Your system will not crash and you won't lose Pro Tools forever. This should be a total fix for MBox, Digi 002 Rack, and Digi 002 users. Some Digi 001 users may continue to have problems which I'll address in the final recommended step, however I reccomend exhausting these two steps before going there as it is A LAST RESORT.

3) Again A LAST RESORT. I find this is only necessary in some rare cases where folks are using older model Apple computers and the Digi 001. Backup your files and re-install your OS and apps. I recommend not upgrading beyond OS X 10.3.8. You'll be better for it as your Digital Audio Workstation will be more stable. If you do, obviously don't install Quicktime 7.

Hope this is helpful. Now in the words of Michael Pare in "Eddie & The Cruisers", "Let's get on with the music."
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/312.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312
"Once the music leaves your head it's already compromised." - Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
EddiePaxil

Quicktime 7 conflict

Postby EddiePaxil » Sun 15 May, 2005 4:32 am

I wanted to stress again that that final step should only be a last resort.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/312.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312
"Once the music leaves your head it's already compromised." - Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
EddiePaxil

Postby Antony » Sun 15 May, 2005 5:39 am

Thank you Eriel for writing up a this article for troubleshooting Pro applications and QuickTime 7. I hope this article can provide help to other Digidesign audio hardware users.

I don't use any Pro applications, the only Apple Pro application I have is Soundtrack 1.2, which I have no problem when using it under Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger".

(I made some small changes to Apple's preferred spellings, e.g. iTunes, QuickTime, Mac OS X, etc. Stickified - 15 May 2005)
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050427 Camino/0.8.4
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Apple Audio/ Video

Postby EddiePaxil » Sun 15 May, 2005 2:26 pm

Antony wrote:Thank you Eriel for writing up a this article for troubleshooting Pro applications and QuickTime 7. I hope this article can provide help to other Digidesign audio hardware users.

I don't use any Pro applications, the only Apple Pro application I have is Soundtrack 1.2, which I have no problem when using it under Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger".

(I made some small changes to Apple's preferred spellings, e.g. iTunes, QuickTime, Mac OS X, etc. Stickified - 15 May 2005)

Apple's Audio/ Video Production software is excellent and well supported. The fact that they purchased the Logic series (formerly E-Magic), and have create a real competitor for Avid in Final Cut has motivated many to move towards Logic and Final Cut as a legitimate alternative to more traditionally widely used apps. (i.e. Steinberg's series, Digital Performer, and Avid/ Digidesign.) I myself also use Logic Express along with my Pro Tools app for Midi applications.

I doesn't hurt that most folks in the Audio/ Video field use Macs. Kind of makes you feel like you'll never be left out being that the folks that make your software also make your operating system and computer.
EddiePaxil

Re: Pro Tools/ iTunes/ QuickTime 7 bug, workaround

Postby Fitz » Thu 26 May, 2005 3:45 am

First wanted to say thank god you were here. I uploaded that shiny piece of s*#t called quicktime 7. ARGH!

Reinstalled qt 6.

then had the problem of still no longer being able to run qt audio through my digi 002. installed the didgidesign core audio 6.9 and now for the first time I am able to get itunes to play through my oo2 rig. But not quicktime.

Any other suggestions I can do to get qt audio back running through 002?

Eriel rocks!!!

thanks
Fitz

Postby EddiePaxil » Thu 26 May, 2005 3:05 pm

Fitz wrote:
Any other suggestions I can do to get qt audio back running through 002?

Eriel rocks!!!

thanks

At this point (because I use the Digi 001, which is no longer supported) I have re-installed everything clean. I was unable to locate whatever file Quicktime 7 added or took away. Since you are a Digi 002 user, I have one simple piece of advice. Be a little patient and wait. Help is on the way with a new Core Audio Setup and even new Pro Tools upgrades if you decide to do that. You shouldn't have to upgrade PT if your using Panther.You should only have to upgrade Core Audio to the Core Audio for 10.3.9 users. The latest PT will have Tiger support.

If you are in desperate need for QT's sound you can get a second set of speakers and run them out of your "built-in" audio", and have all sound except Pro Tools come from there. Simply by making the "Built In" your default ouput under system preferences-sound-output.

If, for the sake of productivity, you need QT's audio to come from the 002. Then the last resort is the only way left to go for you. Re-Install.

Again though, in your case, a fix is coming, try to be patient.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.5.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.12
EddiePaxil

Postby Fitz » Thu 26 May, 2005 3:40 pm

If, for the sake of productivity, you need QT's audio to come from the 002. Then the last resort is the only way left to go for you. Re-Install.

Again though, in your case, a fix is coming, try to be patient.

Thanks so much, I appreciate the help!

Fitz
Fitz

Postby EddiePaxil » Thu 26 May, 2005 4:45 pm

I thought this would be helpful. It's a step by step on how I did my re-install to work around this bug so I could run my Quicktime 6.5.2 audio through my Digi 001. This really is primarily for folks with 2 problems.

1) Digi 001 users who already re-installed Quicktime 6.5.2 who want their hardware to carry the audio of many different apps (including Quicktime 6.5.2) besides Pro Tools, and the download of Core Audio Setup 6.9 didn't fix the problem. These folks will not be getting a fix or patch according to Digidesign.

2) MBox, Digi 002 Rack, and Digi 002 users who downloaded Core Audio 6.9, re-installed Quick time 6.5.2, still can't get QT audio through their Digi hardware, and need Quicktime audio coming from their Digi hardware for the sake of productivity as soon as possible. Meaning you can't wait for the new Core Audio Digi will release for you.

Here is step by step how I re-installed ny system and got my Digidesign Hardware playing nice with my other apps.

1) Backup Files- In most cases I'd tell you to backup your files in a disk image. However, there is a possibility (though I haven't found it) that QT 7 leaves a hidden file fingerprint behind or has removed a file which could continue to cause problems. So I recommend saving all vital files on either CD's/ DVD's/ an External Hard Drive/ or a partition. If your gonna use an external or partition. just make sure it's not one tied to where you boot Panther from. Save everything essential. Documents, sessions (obviously), samples, mailboxes from mail servers, etc. Try not to save preferences or permissions files. Meaning make sure you have all your serial #'s for when you go re-install plug-ins and apps. Also make sure you make a note of exactly how you have written your user name and password for the system. In case, for example your mailboxes are tied to that it'll be the same. The key thing is don't use a disk image after the re-install and then replace all the blank files from the newly installed user files with the ones from the old disk image, because you may accidentally be loading up the fingerprint or missing file that QT 7 leaves (if one exists). If you use a disk image be careful what you copy to your new user files.

2)Do a complete clean erase and re-install of Panther. My Disk loaded OSX 10.3.5 released right after digidesign ended support for the 001. All you need is to have your Disk load 10.3.2 or above hopefully. After installing the 2 or 3 disks ( and X code if you want it) don't allow the system to do any of the automatic upgrades. Keep the system as is. If your below 10.3.2 then go to Apple and load the combined upgrade to 10.3.5 here: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ ... _3_5_.html Don't load any other updates.

3) Now load Pro Tools. Get it up to 6.4w/ the cs9 update. I'm assuming you have the disks for these. If not check Digi's website. Also load up Digidesign Core Audio Setup 6.4. This should be part of the 6.4 install. If you've had success with Core Audio 6.5.2 go with that. I will say the two 6.4's work very well together. Plus I believe Core Audio 6.4 was the last to allow the Digi 001 to chose which apps it supported. ( I always felt that was a nice feature).

4) Now your gonna load some updates first there should two security updates available for 10.3.5 load these two alone first.

5) Now your gonna install the combined update for 10.3.8 here http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ ... combo.html I don't recommend going to 10.3.9 with the 001. The reason being, is that your leaving yourself open to more bugs with those on the cusp of Tiger app updates. there are no major security advantage to going to 10.3.9. In fact 10.3.9 caused quite a few security holes which is why they had to release a security update just a few days after releasing 10.3.9. What I am getting you to here is a very stable system.

6) Now load all other updates except 10.3.9. You can even load ITunes 4.8 without a problem. Keep Core Audio 6.4 or 6.5.2. Again I'm using 6.4.

7) Start re-installing all your programs, apps, plug-ins, docs, mailboxes and sessions. Somewhere close to that order as some won't open without the other.

8) Now you should be running very stable. I always tell people if it ain't broke don't fix it. I was running 10.3.9 fine before installing QT7, but now I don't want to mess with it. I won't be installing 10.3.9 unless I find out others are having success with it down the line after dealing with these very issues. I recommend to you the same. Go for stability over the latest and greatest. If you want to go there and get 10.3.9 do it only after all of this, and obviously don't load QT7.

Hope this helps. I know it seems like a lot, but I just wanted to be thorough so you wouldn't run into any hiccups, and in order to answer any questions you may have along the way. The key thing is backup your essential files. I can't be responsible if you lose any by not backing them up properly. As I said usually, going with a Disk Image of your previous user files is the way to go, but in this case it may be perpetuating the problem.

Digi 001 users. I know you feel a little left out cause it feels as though you can't even load the final Pamther upgrade. Remember though according to Digidesign they don't recommend anything beyond OSX 10.3.4 for Digi 001 LE 6.4 users. Besides that's not what this means. It means certain Tiger optimized apps are not going to be compatible with the Digi 001. I don't recommend 10.3.9 so A) you can avoid temptation when patches, fixes, and updates show up which could eventually prove to have a conflict with your Digi hardware or software. B) Accidentally downloading one of the afore mentioned when the system updates automatically opens.Wait let other folks be your Beta testers. Come here, Digidesign's user forum, and Apple's forum and find out what other folks are doing down the line. Maybe 001 users can piece together what they can upgrade and can't. I didn't have any problems initially upon upgrading to 10.3.9. My problems came when I upgraded to Quicktime 7.

Good Luck tell me how it goes
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.5.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.12
EddiePaxil

Problem with iTunes + PT 6.4.1 + QT 7

Postby timtoady » Mon 30 May, 2005 4:31 pm

Hi, I'm a PT 6.4.1 user who has also experienced problems since installing QT7. (I'm using OS X 10.3.9.)

If I run iTunes or the QT player, they hang indefinitely, eating up 99% of the CPU, and must be force-quit. If I then try to run PT, it says "Digidesign hardware is in use by another application. (-1133)."

What's strange is my sound control panel is set up to use the standard sound output- not my digidesign hardware, as you might think from that error message. My digi hardware is an 882/20 I/O.

So I figured out a workaround to that proble: I launch PT first, and leave it running. This allows me to then run the QT player or iTunes. However, iTunes still has a lingering, and very annoying problem in this scenario.

The problem is that, at sporadic intervals, iTunes gives an error message: "Searching for movie data in file "iTunes Preset 20041#43856F.aiff" with a "Stop" button.

If I wait a few seconds, that dialog disapears (!) and a second error message comes up: 'The movie file "iTunes Preset 20041#43856F.aiff" cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly.' with a 'cancel' and a 'Search' button.

I can just hit 'cancel' and iTunes will operate okay for another few minutes. If I leave the dialogue up, however, it interrupts playback.

I started to follow the advice in this thread, and reinstalled QT 6.5.2. However, I then realized this is a solution geared at those using Digi hardware for all sound output, and it didn't seem to change anything.

Sorry for the windy post, I'm praying somebody knows what this is all about and that I haven't gone one-upgrade-too-far with my tenuous situation running the now-unsupported PT 6.4.1. Thanks!

Todd
timtoady

QT 6.5.2 installer won't work

Postby TEKKENMAN » Tue 31 May, 2005 2:39 pm

Hey guys,

I have 001, 10.3.9 and QT 7. Itunes won't load unless I load up pro tools and then it will only play on headphones because when i take the headphones out, the computer won't revert back to the computer speaker (but this may be a different prob altogether)..

However.., when i try to uninstall QT7 and go to the previous version using the aforementioned link, the installer says "You cannot install software on this volume (my system drive). The disk is dimmed because you do not contain an appropriate version of quicktime."

Please help,

TEK
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/312.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312
TEKKENMAN

Re: Problem with iTunes + PT 6.4.1 + QT 7

Postby EddiePaxil » Tue 31 May, 2005 4:19 pm

timtoady wrote:Hi, I'm a PT 6.4.1 user who has also experienced problems since installing QT7. (I'm using OS X 10.3.9.)

If I run iTunes or the QT player, they hang indefinitely, eating up 99% of the CPU, and must be force-quit. If I then try to run PT, it says "Digidesign hardware is in use by another application. (-1133)."

What's strange is my sound control panel is set up to use the standard sound output- not my digidesign hardware, as you might think from that error message. My digi hardware is an 882/20 I/O.

So I figured out a workaround to that proble: I launch PT first, and leave it running. This allows me to then run the QT player or iTunes. However, iTunes still has a lingering, and very annoying problem in this scenario.

The problem is that, at sporadic intervals, iTunes gives an error message: "Searching for movie data in file "iTunes Preset 20041#43856F.aiff" with a "Stop" button.

If I wait a few seconds, that dialog disapears (!) and a second error message comes up: 'The movie file "iTunes Preset 20041#43856F.aiff" cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly.' with a 'cancel' and a 'Search' button.

I can just hit 'cancel' and iTunes will operate okay for another few minutes. If I leave the dialogue up, however, it interrupts playback.

I started to follow the advice in this thread, and reinstalled QT 6.5.2. However, I then realized this is a solution geared at those using Digi hardware for all sound output, and it didn't seem to change anything.

Sorry for the windy post, I'm praying somebody knows what this is all about and that I haven't gone one-upgrade-too-far with my tenuous situation running the now-unsupported PT 6.4.1. Thanks!

Todd

As a MIX user (you lucky dog) you're in a unique position. While you no longer have support for the TDM software, your hardware continues to have Core Audio support. Try the latest version of Core Audio first and foremost. However, if you can with the size of your system. Go back to OSX 10.3.8. 10.3.9 is going to have bugs. Digidesign has already said they are only going to qualify under 10.3.9 that which is feasible. They are primarily concerned with moving to Tiger.

There is going to be Core Audio support for MIX users under Tiger. However, you will not have support under Tiger for Pro Tools, you will only be able to use your hardware with software that's compatible with your MIX system and has Tiger support.
EddiePaxil

Re: QT 6.5.2 installer won't work

Postby EddiePaxil » Tue 31 May, 2005 4:35 pm

TEKKENMAN wrote:Hey guys,

I have 001, 10.3.9 and QT 7. Itunes won't load unless I load up pro tools and then it will only play on headphones because when i take the headphones out, the computer won't revert back to the computer speaker (but this may be a different prob altogether)..

However.., when i try to uninstall QT7 and go to the previous version using the aforementioned link, the installer says "You cannot install software on this volume (my system drive). The disk is dimmed because you do not contain an appropriate version of quicktime."

Please help,

TEK

For a Digi 001 user at this point. From everyone I've spoken to who's run across these problems going back to OSX 10.3.8 is more and more seeming like the best option.

Quicktime 7.0.1 was just released http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ ... me701.html. But whether this fixes Digi users problems I have no idea.

If the re-installer isn't working. Try trashing Quicktime preferences and reciepts and then QT 7. The installing QT 6.5.2 fresh here http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ ... me652.html. Again though you could find yourself going back to 10.3.8.
EddiePaxil

Postby timtoady » Wed 01 Jun, 2005 12:23 am

EddiePaxil wrote:
timtoady wrote:Hi, I'm a PT 6.4.1 user who has also experienced problems since installing QT7. (I'm using OS X 10.3.9.)...

As a MIX user (you lucky dog) you're in a unique position. While you no longer have support for the TDM software, your hardware continues to have Core Audio support. Try the latest version of Core Audio first and foremost. However, if you can with the size of your system. Go back to OSX 10.3.8. 10.3.9 is going to have bugs. Digidesign has already said they are only going to qualify under 10.3.9 that which is feasible. They are primarily concerned with moving to Tiger.

There is going to be Core Audio support for MIX users under Tiger. However, you will not have support under Tiger for Pro Tools, you will only be able to use your hardware with software that's compatible with your MIX system and has Tiger support.

Thanks, very helpful! I installed the CoreAudio drivers (6.9) and whilt that did allow me to run iTunes without first running PT, it unfortunately did not stop the error messages. Blast.

Perhaps this is veering off-topic, but do you have any advice on how to backtrack from OS X 10.3.9 to 10.3.8? I tried the standard updater from Apple's OS X downloads, and it wouldn't let me install it, I think because it just won't let you go backwards like that. Any ideas?

Thanks again.
Todd
timtoady

Postby EddiePaxil » Wed 01 Jun, 2005 1:33 pm

timtoady wrote:Thanks, very helpful! I installed the CoreAudio drivers (6.9) and whilt that did allow me to run iTunes without first running PT, it unfortunately did not stop the error messages. Blast.

Perhaps this is veering off-topic, but do you have any advice on how to backtrack from OS X 10.3.9 to 10.3.8? I tried the standard updater from Apple's OS X downloads, and it wouldn't let me install it, I think because it just won't let you go backwards like that. Any ideas?

Thanks again.
Todd

As far as I there's no way to re-install a prior version of OSX while your on a newer version. Especially, since it's my understanding that 10.3.9 works as a seperate Operating System from 10.3.8. If Anthony checks out this thread he might know of a way but I don't believe there is one.

The only way is a re-install. In the posting just prior to your first posting I detailed how it was I did it and have felt no ill effects from Quicktime 7. That said you being a Mix user and me not knowing the nature of your Mix use. I can only assume you use it in a large professional capacity.

Being that you still have Core Audio support and your looking to get back to OSX 10.3.8. You might be able to get away with baking up your user files on a disk image.

In an earlier thread I was trying to switch my system disk from one hard drive I had to another. Our Admin Anthony showed me how to create a disk image of user files. You can find that here http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8824

You also need to backup your files. Especially sessions. On disk or if you have an external drive. Then you can follow some of the directions in the eighth post on this thread just prior to your first post. Go only as high as OSX 10.3.8.

Create your new user ID with the exact same info and password as the disk image you saved, and replace the freshly made user files with the ones from the disk image. Re-install all apps. You will probably need all your plug-in serials and code keys.

Hope this helps. I only used a Mix system at school and am not as familiar with the issues your having as I am with those of LE users. But I do know if your using Legacy Digi hardware, right now Quicktime 7 is going to give you trouble for sure. Again your going to get Core Audio support for your hardware under Tiger, but not a Tiger compatible software. So if Pro Tools is your main production software (and since you have a TDM Mix system I'm guessing it is.) Don't go beyond OSX 10.3.8 if you can unless you plan on booting Tiger from another drive.
EddiePaxil

Postby timtoady » Thu 09 Jun, 2005 9:01 pm

Wow, thanks again for the very helpful advice. I have been dreading this situation- not being able to upgrade my OS for fear of breaking PT 10.3.4, and now it's finally become an official PITA.

But the last thing you said is something I hadn't even considered: Maintaining two startup disks, one with 10.3.8 just for pro tools, and one with Tiger, for everything else. I just happen to have an extra hard drive I can use for this.

Unless anyone here knows a good reason why it's >not< such a good idea to maintain such a system, (I can't think of one right away,) I will probably go with that. Thanks again.

Todd
timtoady

Next

Return to Mac OS and Apple