Pro Tools/ iTunes/ QuickTime 7 bug, workaround

Apple products and Mac operating systems. Including discussions on Virtual PC for Mac, Parallels Desktop for Mac, all Apple hardware and everything relating to Apple and Mac!
(MacCentre701)

Postby timtoady » Mon 13 Jun, 2005 7:38 pm

timtoady wrote:Wow, thanks again for the very helpful advice. I have been dreading this situation- not being able to upgrade my OS for fear of breaking PT 10.3.4, and now it's finally become an official PITA.

But the last thing you said is something I hadn't even considered: Maintaining two startup disks, one with 10.3.8 just for pro tools, and one with Tiger, for everything else. I just happen to have an extra hard drive I can use for this.

Unless anyone here knows a good reason why it's >not< such a good idea to maintain such a system, (I can't think of one right away,) I will probably go with that. Thanks again.

Todd

I went ahead and did this- I installed panther 10.3 on a second hd (10.3.8 update won't work, so it appears to be stuck at 10.3) and upgraded my non-PT system to tiger.

Unfortunately, the itunes errors still came up! So I backed up the whole thing, and reinstalled tiger with a hard drive wipe, just to make sure. I backed up my entier ~/Library/ and copied it into place in my home dir in the new install, which has worked in the past for restoring all my preferences.

However.... I somehow retained the problem, as I STILL get the same errors in iTunes! I went through ~/Library/Preferences/, ~/Library/Application Support/, etc, wiping out anything that could be causing the problem, short of the actual com.apple.iTunes.plist file (which would lose track of my music library as well...) -- I should note that I even tried deleting that file once, just to test, and sure enough, the error >still< occured!

So now I'm at a loss-- I trashed all the iTunes prefs, quicktime prefs, and I still can't find the culprit of the errors. And this is with no digidesign software whatsoever.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/412 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/412
timtoady

iTunes error message re movie data

Postby Jezza » Fri 17 Jun, 2005 6:39 am

I am having the same problem as timToady. viz
The problem is that, at sporadic intervals, iTunes gives an error message: "Searching for movie data in file "iTunes Preset 20041#43856F.aiff" with a "Stop" button.

If I wait a few seconds, that dialog disapears (!) and a second error message comes up: 'The movie file "iTunes Preset 20041#43856F.aiff" cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly.' with a 'cancel' and a 'Search' button.

Each time I try to import a CD I get the same above messages which have to be manually cancelled to import each track... uuh... slightly laborious.

I'm running MacOSX 10.3.9 and QT7.0.1 and iTunes 4.8

Can't see any soutions to timtoady's post. C'mon you boffins... let's have ya!
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.17; Mac_PowerPC)
Jezza

Solution found!

Postby timtoady » Sat 18 Jun, 2005 6:50 pm

Jezza, I am happy to report that after weeks of searching, I found a solution that completely fixed this problem. It turns out it's an iTunes issue, related to Apple's attempt to start integrating music videos into iTunes. (oy)

On the following page, look for the posts near the bottom by user "Lob" and you will find your solution. Hooray!

http://macusersforum.com/lofiversion/in ... t6007.html

Note that I had to actually delete the offending files (vs. converting them to mp3's) because the error messages became so frequent I couldn't do anything but hit the delete key before the next message woudl come up. But I just backed up the files before deleting them and reimported them. Problem solved.

Todd
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/412 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/412
timtoady

iTunes / movie data malarchy

Postby Jezza » Wed 22 Jun, 2005 5:07 am

Thanks to timtoady and Lob for stirling efforts on iTunes problem. Mine seems fixed. Jezza
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.17; Mac_PowerPC)
Jezza

Postby Antony » Fri 22 Jul, 2005 11:36 pm

While I was in Apple Discussions, someone pointed out this thread:
The DUMBEST Quicktime Core Audio issue EVER!! (from Digidesign)

Evandude wrote:Ok, I know I had another string going but this is now alittle different. I'm using Tiger 10.4.2 Quicktime 7.0.1 and a 002 Rack at 6.9.2. all on a new dual G5 2.3ghz. Here is the issue.
In Safari or even if I'm just running audio through Quicktime, I can play a movie or a quicktime audio file fine, for the first time. My 002's firewire blinks and out comes the music, cool! However, after I close the current file and try to load another one, it'll load but 3 seconds into playing it freezes!!! :? So then I quit out of quicktime, relaunch it again, and play the file and it works fine. BUT OH NO! If I stop that one and load another it freezes again. This is so stupid!! It's like quicktime needs to reset it's buffer or cache or whatever the hell it is, that or Core Audio isn't playing nice with quicktime. There should be such a simple fix to this. DEAR DIGI, if you know or anyone else knows what is doing this, please please tell me. I don't want to downgrade back to Quickime 6.5.2 shouldn't have too. Thanks

and Digidesign's support replied
DigiTechSupt wrote:There are currently issues with Quicktime 7 and the Digidesign Core Audio driver. We are working on a fix for this as soon as possible and will post information here on the DUC when an update is available.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050427 Camino/0.8.4
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Itunes will not install

Postby camerio » Tue 16 Aug, 2005 7:47 pm

I have been following this post because it discribes the trouble I have been with.
the only thing that do not work anymore is that I cannot install itunes at all...
I had cleaned up the drawer applications on my disk of everything related to itunes and thought I could re-install from my ilife 04 disk... it does intall everything else included but not itunes
I have uploaded itunes 4.7.1 from apple site, after I select the destination disk, a window appears telling me that the installation requires 0 kb and the differents packages are all deactivated. I cannot select and activate.
I work on a 1.25 double cpu G4 tower
I also have an M-Box and I did every suggestion relating to that in that post
Quicktime is working but no itunes
I do not have a back up of my appliquations except for the disk that came when I installed ilife
sorry for the long post, I am new at this and feel quite alone in my corner of the globe
camerio
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/312.1.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312
camerio

follow up on my problem...

Postby camerio » Wed 17 Aug, 2005 12:58 pm

I found that by trowing away the receips left on the disk system by itunes then I could re-install
I thought I would let everyone know that itunes is now working again after 3 days of trials
Thanks and keep up the thread
I found the solution on Apple discussions...itunes installations and upgrade.

camerio
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/312.1.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312
camerio

Pro tools on OS X 10.3.9

Postby BadKat » Fri 04 Nov, 2005 11:25 pm

I just bought the Mbox2 which comes with Pro Tools 6.8.1. For some reason PT won't install (says 1009:5,-36 IO Error (Bad Disk)). I tried a totally different installer disk at the store (took G4 Power Mac in) and nothing would work. Same error everytime. Anyone have any ideas? It's making me crazy!!
Thanks
Kathryn
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.23; Mac_PowerPC)
badkat
BadKat

Digi 001

Postby pepedgn » Tue 22 Nov, 2005 12:55 pm

Hi Eriel!

I´m very excited about finding someone talking clearly about 001 and Digidesign. It´s three years i have it and I´m very satisfied with it too.
Eriel, i´m working as well with no troubles with Core Audio 6.9, but with 10.3.7. Now i have Logic Express and Soundtrack Pro and they ask me to upgrade to 10.3.9. I read that you don´t have any problem working with 001 and Logic Express on 10.3.9. Can i do it as well?
And another very insteresting thing is what u said about booting Tiger from another hard drive, and leaving the audio for Panther. Have u tried it?

My system: Dual G4 867 Mhz, 1.25 Gb

Thanks
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.5.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.12
pepedgn

Re: Pro tools on OS X 10.3.9

Postby EddiePaxil » Tue 13 Dec, 2005 4:58 pm

BadKat wrote:I just bought the Mbox2 which comes with Pro Tools 6.8.1. For some reason PT won't install (says 1009:5,-36 IO Error (Bad Disk)). I tried a totally different installer disk at the store (took G4 Power Mac in) and nothing would work. Same error everytime. Anyone have any ideas? It's making me crazy!!
Thanks
Kathryn

Hope you got this resolved the only help I can offer is going to Digidesign.com's answerbase and typing in the name of the error it will give you a description of what it means.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.5.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.12
"Once the music leaves your head it's already compromised." - Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
EddiePaxil

Re: Digi 001

Postby EddiePaxil » Tue 13 Dec, 2005 5:01 pm

pepedgn wrote:Hi Eriel!

I´m very excited about finding someone talking clearly about 001 and Digidesign. It´s three years i have it and I´m very satisfied with it too.
Eriel, i´m working as well with no troubles with Core Audio 6.9, but with 10.3.7. Now i have Logic Express and Soundtrack Pro and they ask me to upgrade to 10.3.9. I read that you don´t have any problem working with 001 and Logic Express on 10.3.9. Can i do it as well?
And another very insteresting thing is what u said about booting Tiger from another hard drive, and leaving the audio for Panther. Have u tried it?

My system: Dual G4 867 Mhz, 1.25 Gb

Thanks

Just don't install Quicktime 7. As far as I know there is still no resolution for those using PT 6.4 or the 001. I was working well in 10.3.9 till I installed QT 7. I am currently hanging tough in 10.3.8. I will be installing a new Hard Drive in the next two months then I will experiment with it once along with the QT 7 upgrade patches to see if there has been any change. But as of now I won't reccomend getting QT 7 to Digi 001 PT 6.4 users.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.5.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.12
"Once the music leaves your head it's already compromised." - Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
EddiePaxil

quicktime and itunes again!

Postby maritamixa » Thu 19 Jan, 2006 7:16 pm

hey all,

I too installed quicktime 7 and had fun with it messing up my digidesign software and itunes. I downloaded the quicktime 6.5.2 re installer and it only partially removed quicktime 7! now i have no functional quicktime and i cannot install quicktime 6.5.2 as the installer says i still have another version on my mac yet the re installer for 6.5.2 gives me the message that i don't have quicktime 7 so i cannot re install 6.5.2.... how confusing

please help!!!! :?
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.23; Mac_PowerPC)
maritamixa

Re: quicktime and itunes again!

Postby EddiePaxil » Sun 29 Jan, 2006 1:30 pm

maritamixa wrote:hey all,

I too installed quicktime 7 and had fun with it messing up my digidesign software and itunes. I downloaded the quicktime 6.5.2 re installer and it only partially removed quicktime 7! now i have no functional quicktime and i cannot install quicktime 6.5.2 as the installer says i still have another version on my mac yet the re installer for 6.5.2 gives me the message that i don't have quicktime 7 so i cannot re install 6.5.2.... how confusing

please help!!!! :?

The Re-Installer doesn't fix the issues in 10.3.9 or Pro Tools left by QT7 if you have a Digi 001. See first thread entry. You must re-install. If you have one of the mBox's or Digi 002's or better then get Pro Tools 6.9. and the latest Core Audio 6.9.
Last edited by EddiePaxil on Sun 29 Jan, 2006 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EddiePaxil

The most complete information I have on this bug:

Postby EddiePaxil » Mon 30 Jan, 2006 3:27 pm

Here's the most complete information I have on this issue from various sources. Covering the most recent Digidesign hardware/ software releases, for LE, beginning with the Audio Media III card. The Mbox 2 is not covered here, as the included software should not have this conflict.

Digidesign itself says (paraphrasing) anyone with MBox, Digi 002R, or 002 still running Panther can run it on 10.3.9 adding QuickTime 7 with Pro Tools LE 6.9 and Core Audio 6.9. Or upgrade to OSX Tiger 10.4.x (10.4.4 still not supported as of January 30th '06) and run Pro Tools LE 6.9 or 7.0 with Core Audio 7.0. These are the minimum Digidesign requirements on these platforms, to the best of my knowledge, even as far as "street" testing goes.

Digidesign says (paraphrasing) anyone with the Audio Media III/Toolbox (interchangeable) can only go as high and be "officially supported" as Pro Tools LE 6.1.2 on OSX Jaguar 10.2.6 or 10.2.8. While Pro Tools LE 6.2.3 for Panther has the Audio Media III drivers included it was never “officiallyâ€
EddiePaxil

New Rule!

Postby EddiePaxil » Tue 31 Jan, 2006 6:47 pm

As my favorite comedian Bill Maher does on his HBO show.

New Rule.

If you are running Pro Tools LE with the Digi 001 or Audio Media III card on OSX 10.3.9, don't do anything involving Quicktime that didn't run on OSX 10.3.8 or earlier. I just installed OSX 10.3.9 and was running nicely when I got the idea to try the Flip 4 Mac WMV plug-in for Quicktime. Major conflicts. Major. Stay away from it.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/312.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312.5
EddiePaxil

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS and Apple