Pro Tools/ iTunes/ QuickTime 7 bug, workaround

Apple products and Mac operating systems. Including discussions on Virtual PC for Mac, Parallels Desktop for Mac, all Apple hardware and everything relating to Apple and Mac!
(MacCentre701)

Re: PRO TOOLS and QT

Postby EddiePaxil » Fri 22 Sep, 2006 8:41 am

mpnow wrote:I have just bought an MBOX 2, which comes with PT LE 6.8.1 and PT LE 7.

I have just installed it on a G5 Powermac, dual 2ghz, running on Panther 10.3.9 - onto the main Macintosh hardrive, rather than the 2nd hard drive or the Lacie external.

When it was installing, it came up with a couple of error messages, which I just ignored, and carried on with the installation. (funny that these blips do not appear in the log)

Now, when I try to launch PT I get the following message "Error #-5000 while verifying your authorization UNKNOWN ERROR". This happens 4 times during the laucnh, at exactly the same points every time
1) Loading Plug ins Broadband Noise Reduction LE
2) Loading Plug Ins VocALignLEX
3) Loading plug ins DAE Loaded and
4) Launching Pro Tools Creating DAE and Midi Command.

I checked this forum. I have QT Pro 7.1.3 installed.
So I downloaded the Core Audio Setup 6.9 from digidesign. However, since I did that, a new thing occurs.

I still get all the same error messages when Pro Tools is loading. But now, near the end of the process, the PT loading window states that it is setting up Midi. It seems to take a long time. You expect to see the indicator bar gradually fill with blue to the end (as normally happens with everything else). However it does not. It stops just ver half way. Nothing happens for about 30 seconds, the the PT loading window disappears and PT appears to be open.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

First, this should be it's own thread.

Is it PT 6.8 or 7.0 you are trying to use, because if memory serves 6.8 is the only one that will work on Panther & 7.0 will require you to get Tiger 10.4.

Now, the reason it stops at the plug-ins is because they are either trial plugs that expired, they were not intalled properly, something went wrong in installation (Code Key), or they are (ahummm!) special (Cracks Dawg!), ya know. {Which of course we do not reccomend} Use the "Utilities folder" inside your "Digidesign" folder in applications. There's a plug in validator and a diagnostic test to run. You must check Wave plug-ins with the Waves website. If you have a dongle double check it. You might have remove some invalid plug-ins.

On the other point check your Midi setup in Applications-Utility Folder.

Hope this helps.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6
"Once the music leaves your head it's already compromised." - Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
EddiePaxil

Postby mpnow » Sat 23 Sep, 2006 1:14 am

Thanks.
I bought Tiger.
For the record, I was trying to install 6.8.1from the CD which came with the brandnew Mbox2 (as did PT 7).
When you do this you are obliged to download 6.9 from the site.
Not only was there a problem with the authorization code, once I got past this, and downloaded 6.9 and 6.9cs4 and tired to open PT, it told me that I needed 6.7 - which was not available on the site.
So I got Tiger.
Ofcourse I could not use the PT code for Mac OSX, I had to use the oe for Mac OSX and Win XP (even though I am oon OS X 110.4. And I must admit it bugs me that every time I launch PT 7 there will be one error code -5000 when it tries to install the plugin VOCALIGN which I did not wnat it to install in the first place.
Not exactly rock n roll my friend.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/418.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/419.3
mpnow

New One.

Postby EddiePaxil » Sun 24 Sep, 2006 12:21 pm

Okay here's a new one and proof that everyone's still vunerable to this including me. I thought when the new software update came up I'd checked the box for QT 7 off and guess I didn't so 7.1.4 or whatever installed by accident. Now, the re-installers don't work because they're for earlier versions of QT 7. So I removed all traces of QT7 then went to install QT 6.5.2. What happened?

When I was to the point for selecting a destination volume. It says that I can't install this version of QT because there is a newer version of QT already installed, Now I've deleted every possible file I could think of involving QT. Any ideas?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/312.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312.6
"Once the music leaves your head it's already compromised." - Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
EddiePaxil

Postby Pu7o » Sun 24 Sep, 2006 2:13 pm

Download an application called Pacifist (http://www.charlessoft.com/) and extract the quicktime package to your root drive manually.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7
Pu7o
Macfox
Macfox

Pro tools question!!!

Postby ben hardy » Sat 14 Oct, 2006 3:21 pm

Hi there!
I have pro tools LE 6.4 and a digi 002 and have a mac running OS X 10.3.9. I am about to go to 10.4 (tiger). Does pro tools LE 6.4 work with tiger????
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/418.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/419.3
ben hardy

Re: Pro tools question!!!

Postby EddiePaxil » Sun 15 Oct, 2006 9:44 am

ben hardy wrote:Hi there!
I have pro tools LE 6.4 and a digi 002 and have a mac running OS X 10.3.9. I am about to go to 10.4 (tiger). Does pro tools LE 6.4 work with tiger????

No for Tiger might as well upgrade to Pro Tools 7.x.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/312.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312.6
EddiePaxil

Postby roochie » Sun 05 Nov, 2006 5:07 am

Hi guys,
I've been following this for quite some time and it has been very useful, I've helped my house mate (sound design student) out of a lot sh@# with some of this advice. It's a shame I didn't find all of this the first time I upgraded to QT 7. :roll:

I was wanting to verify at exactly what point we are at with the 001. Such a nice piece of equipment, I'm sure they axed support for it cause it works too well. :wink:

My current setup
G4 dual 1.25,
Pro Tools 6.4 (upgrade from 6.1 I think)
Core Audio 6.8 (I think, it's not 6.9 though, I didn't like how they dropped that part where you can select which app's use the sound card and which ones don't)

OSX 10.3.8
iTunes 4 (4.01 or something)
Quick Time 6.1

Situation: I've been holding steady on 10.3.8 for about a year now, but there are a tone of application out there that expect 10.3.9 minimum. I am starting to arrive at the point of frustration with having a system that no one writes software for anymore.

Question: Can I upgrade to 10.3.9 with out any changes to my current setup (ie same core audio, same PT etc..). I really don't want to get this wrong. I pretty much run all of my entertainment through the 001 (I have it hooked up to some PA bins in my room), and I've a tone of highly customised / hacked solutions running on this box. (X windows, iTele running a TV card not meant to run on a Mac etc..). :twisted: It would take me a long, long time to get it back to it's current state. I'm considering buying a 3rd hard disk just for the change over so I can do a full back up first. Incidentally :idea: does anyone know some instructions of how I can make bootable full back up of the primary hard disk?

Also, are we still at the state of not being able to run any PT with 001 on Tiger? (I've read you can run other 3rd party gear).

Thanks in advance for any advice. By the way, does anyone know if the 001 can be used on a PC running Linux? Can you get a driver for this? I may eventually just set up a cheap recording box and keep it separate from the rest of needs
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0
Last edited by roochie on Sun 05 Nov, 2006 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
roochie

Postby EddiePaxil » Fri 08 Dec, 2006 4:15 pm

roochie wrote:Question: Can I upgrade to 10.3.9 with out any changes to my current setup (ie same core audio, same PT etc..). I really don't want to get this wrong. I pretty much run all of my entertainment through the 001 (I have it hooked up to some PA bins in my room), and I've a tone of highly customised / hacked solutions running on this box. (X windows, iTele running a TV card not meant to run on a Mac etc..). :twisted: It would take me a long, long time to get it back to it's current state. I'm considering buying a 3rd hard disk just for the change over so I can do a full back up first. Incidentally :idea: does anyone know some instructions of how I can make bootable full back up of the primary hard disk?

Also, are we still at the state of not being able to run any PT with 001 on Tiger? (I've read you can run other 3rd party gear).

Thanks in advance for any advice. By the way, does anyone know if the 001 can be used on a PC running Linux? Can you get a driver for this? I may eventually just set up a cheap recording box and keep it separate from the rest of needs

You can go to OSX 10.3.9, but don't use QT 7 unless you plan on using the built in audio for for QT 7 and the 001 for all else.

The Digi 001 will only run on OSX Tiger w/ Core Audio 6.9.2 which limits it to Tiger 10.4.2. Pro Tools will not work with the 001 on Tiger only third party SOFTWARE like Logic.

Don't know about Linux never heard it mentioned.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
EddiePaxil

Postby roochie » Sat 09 Dec, 2006 4:47 pm

Thanks for the advice. I've already upgraded to 10.3.9 and it's running fine. And seemingly a lot of other software I had running on this machine is now running a lot better. As well as some that didn't run before. Must have had something to do with a change of OS libraries.

Now one very happy camper :D
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.0.8) Gecko/20061025 Firefox/1.5.0.8
roochie

I have had this problem and cannot get it to work.

Postby Firesatnight » Sat 24 Mar, 2007 7:19 pm

I think everyone in this post is using a Mac system. I, however, am using a PC. I don't know if that makes much of a difference with the Quick Time problem that everyone is having but I just wanted to state that off the bat.

I own an original Mbox and I want to be able to use my digidesign hardware in conjunction with iTunes and QuickTime. I realize that QuickTime 7 is not compatible... so here is my problem.

When I revert back to QuickTime 6.5.2, I can hear media played with the Quick Time player just fine. HOWEVER, I can't open iTunes anymore because it says it requires QuickTime version 7. I know that one of you in this thread was listening to the Beatles in their iTunes with and older version of QuickTime running, so my question is how did you get iTunes to work with that older version of QuickTime?

I've tried reverting to a couple different versions of iTunes. First I tried the latest version, then I tried installing version 6, then version 5... then version 4.9. Every version of iTunes I try installing, no matter how old it is, claims it needs version 7 of Quick Time to run properly.

*As a side note, I realise that when you install iTunes it automatically installs QuickTime 7. Every time it would do this, I would simply uninstall 7 and install 6.5.2.

SO... if anyone has a solution to THIS problem, please let me know!!! So far I've wasted my entire Saturday trying to figure this out. Thanks a lot!

Nick
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; FunWebProducts; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
Firesatnight

Yahoo Widgets 4

Postby EddiePaxil » Fri 06 Apr, 2007 4:19 pm

Thought I'd add this in. It appears Yahoo Widgets 4 is also not compatible with Digidesigns Core Audio 6.9 on OS X 10.3.9. It causes an obnoxious buzzing sound and eventual freeze.

So if you're going to use Yahoo Widgets with your Digi 001 or Audio Media 3 card using Core Audio 6.9, then go no higher than Yahoo widgets 3.1.5. I've sent this info to Yahoo.

Here's a link to get a download of Yahoo Widgets 3.1.5
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3
Last edited by EddiePaxil on Fri 06 Apr, 2007 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EddiePaxil

Postby spaids » Thu 17 May, 2007 8:30 am

I am also a PC user. I have not tried to reinstall a version of itunes yet becuase of fear. I did find this http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107969 which indicates that the itunes version for quicktime 6.5.2 is itunes 4.7.1. I might try it or I might just never use itunes on my DAW PC. Its working now after many hours of frustration so screwing with it any more (installing any verison of itunes) just feals so risky.
UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Boeing Kit; CCTB 1.2; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
spaids

Spaids

Postby EddiePaxil » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 9:35 pm

spaids wrote:I am also a PC user. I have not tried to reinstall a version of itunes yet becuase of fear. I did find this http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107969 which indicates that the itunes version for quicktime 6.5.2 is itunes 4.7.1. I might try it or I might just never use itunes on my DAW PC. Its working now after many hours of frustration so screwing with it any more (installing any verison of itunes) just feals so risky.

I work on a Mac not a PC, so I can give what I've been doing from that perspective. I can tell you that Quicktime 7 and the Digi 001 is a no go regardless. However, ITuness has proven to be a bit of a different story. I am currently running ITunes 7.2 with Quicktime 6.5.2, Pro Tools 6.4cs1, & even Logic 7.0.1 without incident.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4
EddiePaxil

Grabber

Postby EddiePaxil » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 9:38 pm

Thought I'd add this. It''s minor, but it probably should be noted. I've had some audio issue when I've tried to "Grab" an image that is small with the Grab app. I seem to get the same noise that I got with Yahoo Widgets 4.0. I don't know if this issue exists regardless of your sound card, or if it's specific to Core Audio 6.9 & below.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4
EddiePaxil

Current Setup

Postby EddiePaxil » Thu 07 Jun, 2007 12:16 pm

I was asked to post everything I'm currently running, & what I'm running it on. So here it is:

Computer: Apple Mac G4 Sawtooth (was 350 MHz)- 1 GHz Sonnet/ Encore Processor- 512 MB RAM- 285 GB total HDD (100 GB internal system drive, 160 GB USB external storage drive [sessions], 25 GB internal storage drive [samples],

Other Hardware: Digidesign Digi 001 Audio Interface/ Sound card, DVD- Rom internal, CD-RW external, Beekin USB 2.0 5 Port PCI Card,

Operating System: OS X 10.3.9 and all subsequent security updates

Notable Software: Pro Tools 6.4cs9, Logic Express 7.0.1, ITunes 7.2 (That's the most current as of June 7th, 2007), Quicktime Pro 6.5.2, Roxio Toast Titanium 6.0.5 with Jam, & Yahoo Widgets 3.1.5

Glitches I've Found: Quicktime 7 (obviously), Yahoo Widgets 4, slight glitch with Grab app (might not be because of Core Audio 6.9, only happens in specific instances.)

Notes: I also ran this whole setup before I added the Sonnet/ Encore processor. So note that this all worked the same (but slower) on the 350 MHz processor.

Changes I'm going to make soon, & will report on: Going to add another 1 GB of RAM, adding an external Firewire HD (which I will use specifically as a system drive for recording in Pro Tools & Logic)

Other Notable info I've come across: this thread at Sonik Matters discusses using the Digi 001 with Core Audio 6.9.2 on Tiger 10.4.7 [No Pro Tools Though]. I am going to attempt this on my non-Pro Tools system drive once I add an external drive for recording. I will post to let you all know how it goes.

Hope this helps,
Paxil
Last edited by EddiePaxil on Thu 07 Jun, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EddiePaxil

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS and Apple