Pro Tools/ iTunes/ QuickTime 7 bug, workaround

Apple products and Mac operating systems. Including discussions on Virtual PC for Mac, Parallels Desktop for Mac, all Apple hardware and everything relating to Apple and Mac!
(MacCentre701)

Re: New Rule!

Postby EddiePaxil » Wed 01 Feb, 2006 4:46 am

EddiePaxil wrote:As my favorite comedian Bill Maher does on his HBO show.

New Rule.

If you are running Pro Tools LE with the Digi 001 or Audio Media III card on OSX 10.3.9, don't do anything involving Quicktime that didn't run on OSX 10.3.8 or earlier. I just installed OSX 10.3.9 and was running nicely when I got the idea to try the Flip 4 Mac WMV plug-in for Quicktime. Major conflicts. Major. Stay away from it.

It appears I actually resolved this. My major problems were not coming from Flip $ Mac at all. They were coming from ITunes 6.0.2. It apparently causes issues with the Disk Utility. My issues with Flip 4 Mac were simple Core Audio management. When playing WMV's on the net essentially Core Audio kind of gets hijacked by the browser, Quicktime, & F4M. You've got to make sure to quit all before Core Audio goes back to normal function.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/312.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312.5
"Once the music leaves your head it's already compromised." - Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
EddiePaxil

Postby Antony » Wed 01 Feb, 2006 5:50 am

Thanks for keeping us updated, Eriel.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/417.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/417.8
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

iTunes/Quicktime/ProTools Hell!

Postby dougefresh256 » Sun 26 Feb, 2006 2:46 am

Hello out there!

I finally decided to update my iTunes to 6.0.3 on my Mac G4 733Mhz that is also running Pro Tools 6.4 with a Digi 001. I was running OS 10.3.8 and my new version of iTunes worked fine. It told me update to Quicktime 7. So I updated my OS from 10.3.8 to 10.3.9 then installed Quicktime 7 and all hell broke loose.

Thanks for all the info here. It took me a while to realize that my Pro Tools had something to do with it.

After I installed Quicktime 7, my iTunes doesn't open at all and neither does Quicktime. In my dock, both programs say "application not responding".

I've tried the the Quicktime 6.5.2 reinstall and it says "You cannot install the software on this volume. This disk is dimmed because it does not contain an appropriate version of Quicktime"

Can anyone help me figure out how to get Quicktime 7 uninstalled? Arghh!!

Will trashing the reciepts make any difference?

Do I have to totally reinstall my OS?

I was also getting the problem with the Disk Utility and verifying Disk Permissions.

All I want to do is play my music on iTunes!!

Thanks for your help...

Doug
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4
Last edited by dougefresh256 on Sun 26 Feb, 2006 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
dougefresh256

Re: iTunes/Quicktime/ProTools Hell!

Postby Antony » Sun 26 Feb, 2006 3:57 am

dougefresh256 wrote:I've tried the the Quicktime 6.5.2 reinstall and it says "You cannot install the software on this volume. This disk is dimmed because it does not contain an appropriate version of Quicktime"

Can anyone help me figure out how to get Quicktime 7 uninstalled?
To revert QuickTime to 6.5.x, you might need to first use
QuickTime 7.0.1 reinstaller for QuickTime 7.0.4, assuming your QuickTime 7 is version 7.0.4
then,
QuickTime 6.5.2 reinstaller for QuickTime 7.0.1

dougefresh256 wrote:Do I have to totally reinstall my OS?
No, that's the last resort.

dougefresh256 wrote:I was also getting the problem with the Disk Utility and verifying Disk Permissions.

All I want to do is play my music on iTunes!!
You don't really need QuickTime 7 for iTunes 6.0.x unless you want to playback videos purchased from iTunes Music Store.
The workaround for Disk Utility and verifying Disk Permission problem, please see [sdp=70506]this post[/sdp].
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/417.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/417.8
Antony
diamond member
diamond member

Postby dougefresh256 » Sun 26 Feb, 2006 1:01 pm

Antony,
Thanks for you help.

The good news is that I did the reinstall from 7.0.4 to 7.0.1, then reinstalled from 7.0.1 to 6.5.2. That worked! My Quicktime is now working!

My iTunes 6.0.3 is still not working ('application not responding' still shows in the dock when it tries to open).

I tried moving iTunes to the desktop, running Disk Utility - verifying disk permissions and repairing disk permissions, and erasing the Library/Receipt files (except iTunesX.pkg and iTunesPhoneDriver.pkg). iTunes still doesn't respond.

Maybe something I need to do with my Core Audio Driver from Digidesign?

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

Doug
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4
Last edited by dougefresh256 on Sun 26 Feb, 2006 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dougefresh256

Postby dougefresh256 » Wed 01 Mar, 2006 12:25 am

I finally got my iTunes working again by installing the CoreAudio Driver 6.9

If anyone else has problems, I found some good info on this thread:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthreaded. ... w=&sb=5&o=
dougefresh256

Postby EddiePaxil » Fri 03 Mar, 2006 1:30 am

dougefresh256 wrote:I finally got my iTunes working again by installing the CoreAudio Driver 6.9

If anyone else has problems, I found some good info on this thread:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthreaded. ... w=&sb=5&o=

Kind of Ironic. I'm on that thread on the D.U.C-Paxil.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/312.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312.5
Last edited by EddiePaxil on Fri 03 Mar, 2006 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Once the music leaves your head it's already compromised." - Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
EddiePaxil

Postby dougefresh256 » Fri 03 Mar, 2006 1:40 am

Ah ha!
It all makes sense now...
I didn't make the connection.
Luckily it was a pretty harmless solution so far. Haven't run into any problems.
Again, many thanks!
dougefresh256

Conflict with Final Cut and iMovie

Postby professortiki » Fri 24 Mar, 2006 8:33 am

While I was able to run Cubase SX 1.0.5 with Digi001 on OS 10.3.9 with no problems at all, I noticed I could not log films from my camcorder with Final Cut or iTunes until I disabled the Digi001 in the sound control panel. It took me a while to detect that, because I didn't draw that unobvious connection. Why would the picture disappear because of a sound hardware device? Now, since I already downgraded my Quicktime to 6.5.2, with the unpleasant side-effect that I cannot watch a lot of formats anymore, would it really make sense to downgrade my entire system to 10.3.4 again? I mean, it's quite an effort and I ask myself, if it will solve my issue with iMovie and Final Cut at all. Any opinion appreciated. Thanks for reading.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/417.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/417.9.2
Apple Macintosh G4 "Sawtooth" • PowerLogix 1.4 GHz • Digi001 • OSX 10.3.9 • Cubase SX 1.0.5 • Final Cut 4.5
professortiki

Re: Conflict with Final Cut and iMovie

Postby EddiePaxil » Mon 27 Mar, 2006 4:47 am

professortiki wrote:While I was able to run Cubase SX 1.0.5 with Digi001 on OS 10.3.9 with no problems at all, I noticed I could not log films from my camcorder with Final Cut or iTunes until I disabled the Digi001 in the sound control panel. It took me a while to detect that, because I didn't draw that unobvious connection. Why would the picture disappear because of a sound hardware device? Now, since I already downgraded my Quicktime to 6.5.2, with the unpleasant side-effect that I cannot watch a lot of formats anymore, would it really make sense to downgrade my entire system to 10.3.4 again? I mean, it's quite an effort and I ask myself, if it will solve my issue with iMovie and Final Cut at all. Any opinion appreciated. Thanks for reading.

This might be a Core Audio, what version do you have? Or you might still have the fingerprint of QT7. Have you tried trashing QT7 preferences, receipts, etc. 10.3.4 shouldn't be necessary. Try getting Core Audio 6.9.

As for not being able to watch certain files. You can double boot OSes. One with Digi 001 one without so you can run QT7. Or one with 10.3.9 and your Cubase. One with Tiger. Apparently Digidesign added the 001 to Core Audio 7. You can't run it with Pro Tools 6.7-7.1, but you can use it as the Interface to your Tiger system including Software that supports it. Not Tiger Software from Digidesign.

Hope this helps.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/312.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312.6
EddiePaxil

Postby professortiki » Mon 27 Mar, 2006 5:19 am

Thanks for your thoughts. However I already used CoreAudio 6.9 and I have been trying to dump all kinds of prefs incl. those of FinalCut. Meanwhile I managed to find a workaround for the problem: Before grabbing videos from the camera I switch off the Digidesign Output in the Sound Control panel. It works. Still I think it's kind of funny, that a soundcard output setting would cause an error in the video input display.

EddiePaxil wrote:Apparently Digidesign added the 001 to Core Audio 7. You can't run it with Pro Tools 6.7-7.1, but you can use it as the Interface to your Tiger system including Software that supports it. Not Tiger Software from Digidesign.

Perhaps my English isn't good enough, but are you saying that with CoreAudio 7 it would be possible to run the Digi001 under Tiger? That would of course change everything.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/417.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/417.9.2
Apple Macintosh G4 "Sawtooth" • PowerLogix 1.4 GHz • Digi001 • OSX 10.3.9 • Cubase SX 1.0.5 • Final Cut 4.5
professortiki

Postby EddiePaxil » Mon 27 Mar, 2006 5:39 am

professortiki wrote:Perhaps my English isn't good enough, but are you saying that with CoreAudio 7 it would be possible to run the Digi001 under Tiger? That would of course change everything.

No your English is good enough. According to many users of the Digi 001 on the Digidesign User's Conference Core Audio 7 has included support for the Digi 001. Many folks are running their 001 on Tiger right now with third party software.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/312.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312.6
EddiePaxil

Postby professortiki » Mon 27 Mar, 2006 6:21 am

EddiePaxil wrote:No your English is good enough. According to many users of the Digi 001 on the Digidesign User's Conference Core Audio 7 has included support for the Digi 001. Many folks are running their 001 on Tiger right now with third party software.

Wow, I gotta check that out ASAP! Thanks for the news!
professortiki

Quicktime 7 Solution without re-installing OSX!!

Postby hardasmum » Thu 30 Mar, 2006 6:15 pm

I had the same trouble as everyone else here today. I installed Quicktime 7.0.4 before reading your posts and it completely did a number on my G4. (OSX 10.3.9/Digi 001/Pro Tools 6.4) I found this easy solution using third party software called Pacifist. http://www.charlessoft.com/

I followed these instructions. Well, not exactly, I didn't bother re-installing prior versions of QT7, I just went right to 6.5.2

http://fox-gieg.com/tutorials/2005/undo-quicktime-7/

It worked a charm! Everything is back to normal! Unless ofcourse you know something about Pacifist that I don't! Please let me know.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/312.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312
Last edited by hardasmum on Thu 30 Mar, 2006 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hardasmum

PRO TOOLS and QT

Postby mpnow » Fri 22 Sep, 2006 2:06 am

I have just bought an MBOX 2, which comes with PT LE 6.8.1 and PT LE 7.

I have just installed it on a G5 Powermac, dual 2ghz, running on Panther 10.3.9 - onto the main Macintosh hardrive, rather than the 2nd hard drive or the Lacie external.

When it was installing, it came up with a couple of error messages, which I just ignored, and carried on with the installation. (funny that these blips do not appear in the log)

Now, when I try to launch PT I get the following message "Error #-5000 while verifying your authorization UNKNOWN ERROR". This happens 4 times during the laucnh, at exactly the same points every time
1) Loading Plug ins Broadband Noise Reduction LE
2) Loading Plug Ins VocALignLEX
3) Loading plug ins DAE Loaded and
4) Launching Pro Tools Creating DAE and Midi Command.

I checked this forum. I have QT Pro 7.1.3 installed.
So I downloaded the Core Audio Setup 6.9 from digidesign. However, since I did that, a new thing occurs.

I still get all the same error messages when Pro Tools is loading. But now, near the end of the process, the PT loading window states that it is setting up Midi. It seems to take a long time. You expect to see the indicator bar gradually fill with blue to the end (as normally happens with everything else). However it does not. It stops just ver half way. Nothing happens for about 30 seconds, the the PT loading window disappears and PT appears to be open.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.
Last edited by mpnow on Fri 22 Sep, 2006 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
mpnow

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS and Apple