Router Question

This section is for any issues on setting up or configuring networks at home and small business.

Router Question

Postby iJohnE » Sun 18 Jan, 2009 5:16 pm

Okay, I have a 5 Port Ethernet Router, and I have it hooked up so that both my parents computer and my laptop can be connected at the same time.

One problem, when they are both plugged in, only one computer can actually access the internet. And if I want to make it so the other one can, I have to unplug (for example) my laptop, and then I have to reset my modem.

What I basically want to know is this, is there a way for both machines to be connected at the same time?
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5
"Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss.
User of Windows 8.1 Pro, and LMDE.
iJohnE
diamond member
diamond member

Postby PaulD » Sun 18 Jan, 2009 5:55 pm

At first blush, it sounds as if there are duplicate IP addresses.
Have you defined the network connections correctly for each computer as in [sdp=94962]paragraph 1[/sdp] lines 4-6? If not, delete the definition and start over.
Also, the router must be set up to support DHCP; this is the normal default. A router can be defined otherwise, but each device on the network must then also be modified.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5
PaulD
diamond member
diamond member

Postby iJohnE » Sun 18 Jan, 2009 7:30 pm

PaulD wrote:At first blush, it sounds as if there are duplicate IP addresses.
Have you defined the network connections correctly for each computer as in [sdp=94962]paragraph 1[/sdp] lines 4-6? If not, delete the definition and start over.

How do I do this?
PaulD wrote:Also, the router must be set up to support DHCP; this is the normal default. A router can be defined otherwise, but each device on the network must then also be modified.

This is all a foreign language to me, as I have absolutely no experience with router talk.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5
iJohnE
diamond member
diamond member

Postby PaulD » Mon 19 Jan, 2009 12:52 am

"How do I do this?"
- Who defined the network for each computer: you, or someone else?
- Start > Control Panel > Network Setup Wizard

There is much tutorial information in your Windows "Help and Support". Have you looked at that? If you don't have the fundamentals in mind then a set of step-by-step instructions is a waste of time.

"I have absolutely no experience with router talk."
- Fine; you don't want to change the router anyway. There is too much temptation to twitch things that could mess up the whole bailiwick.
- But DHCP is not just 'router talk' - it is basic to IP connectivity. Generally it is the default in your network definitions. Don't worry about it.

Please do some homework; then ask questions for clarification.

I will note that in the Setup Wizard that the wording can be misinterpreted. The area is 'network connected through a computer'. If you select this (you don't want to!) the network connections are created for ICS - Internet Connection Sharing. This means that the computer is doing the router function; it requires two network adapters on the computer. This may be what was (mis-)defined. Follow the instructions on the referenced post to get it right.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5
PaulD
diamond member
diamond member

Postby iJohnE » Mon 19 Jan, 2009 8:52 am

Thank you Paul.
iJohnE
diamond member
diamond member

Postby iJohnE » Mon 19 Jan, 2009 9:04 am

Paul, something to note:

There is not network setup wizard in Windows Vista.
iJohnE
diamond member
diamond member

Return to Home and Business Networking