why am I ask to choose a program to open the file with

Microsoft Windows operating system, and software for Windows platform, including QuickTime Player and iTunes for Windows. We also discuss topics about Microsoft Corp.

why am I ask to choose a program to open the file with

Postby monish » Sun 07 Oct, 2007 11:20 pm

My computer was infected with a virus. After removing it with an anti virus program now whenever I want to run an exec or anything it pops up a window asking me to choose the program I want to open the file with. However when I right click on the program and run as an administrator it woks. Any help would be highly appreciated.
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.7) Gecko/20070914 Firefox/2.0.0.7
monish

Postby richard mitnick » Mon 08 Oct, 2007 2:10 pm

Does this affect programs other than your browser?

>>RSM
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070802 SeaMonkey/1.1.4
richard mitnick
diamond member
diamond member

Re: why am I ask to choose a program to open the file with

Postby profman » Mon 08 Oct, 2007 6:24 pm

monish wrote:My computer was infected with a virus. After removing it with an anti virus program now whenever I want to run an exec or anything it pops up a window asking me to choose the program I want to open the file with. However when I right click on the program and run as an administrator it woks. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Check these links (from a quick Google search) below for possible help.

Expert's Exchange: desktop & program files/ exe will not open in xp

Ramesh's site: Unable to Start a Program with an .exe File Extension

You should double-check for any remaining viruses and then try the suggested repairs for the file association problem. [I'm a member of the Experts Exchange, but I think that anyone can view these solutions. Post back if this is not true.]
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915
profman, the mad chemist
Moderator of SillyDog Forums
User of Thunderbird & Firefox
Try Forum Search
profman

Return to Windows (and Microsoft talk)